Took a job as a cashier in a hospital cafeteria

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

Am I doomed?

The only reason I got the job is because of my age and experience. My schedule will be all over the place as it is a per diem position covering days off and vacations, etc. I am very familiar with the main hospital building but haven't been to the new campus. The chef is nice but the lady who manages where I will work is kind of hard to read (haha, that's rich) and seems mean.

The job pays well and could lead to something better in the future, a position with benefits, but also I can already see where I'll have difficulty in general. What should I do? Is knowing I'll be overwhelmed enough to employ strategies to avoid it? I feel like all I'm doing now is trying to avoid things. I get physically sick from the stress of some of the jobs I've held in the past. I'm thinking since this job is at a hospital I may be able to get away with working fewer hours when I need to or taking a week off at a time if I need to (it's per diem and scheduling is VERY flexible, as long as the management knows somewhat in advance).

The last job I had was cooking at a fine dining place and I ended up quitting because of an abrupt (and ill-explained) schedule change that I could not get out of. I couldn't work a closing shift into an opening one and my boss would not take that as an answer (he said I needed a medical reason :O ).

I'm thinking working for an institution would be a better fit for me?

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

Sounds good at least it should be less crowded/hectic than my old job at a supermarket.
When there was a game(football) we got slammed with every register open and long lines.
Just focus on the work,
Good Luck! :D

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

It is a good job, in my opinion. I worked in a hospital cafeteria for about 6 years and it was my favorite job in all of the kitchen/cafeteria. Things were clearly defined. One is expected to be social enough to say what's on the screen and whatnot, but isn't expected to be friends with people. It's a happy medium in the socializing department :) I recommend you know the weather and possibly everyone's favorite sport. Besides that, there's not much more to say.

I also worked with people who had mental disabilities, which made it sweeter! A lot of variety, and an incredible amount of creativity in our department.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the encouraging replies! :D

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

I don't know, but if you can handle it, I say try to stick with it. You'll be much happier feeling productive, and knowing that the disability will be going to someone who is worse off than you :) That way, if you do have to go on disability later, you'll be able to have some peace of mind knowing that you gave it a go. You'll know that you really do need it, so you won't have any reason to feel bad, you know? I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!