Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

I program in a mix of VB.net, C#, and C. I used to use VB.net but i sort have drifted away from it to C#, and i do C here and now but i primary use C# now. I did try to learn C++ and java but those were confusing to me.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

I use BASIC and that's even complicated for me.....I can't imagine C++ and all that

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

I learned BASIC, Pascal, and COBOL back in the 80's. I was a COBOL programmer for many years.
I like Pascal a lot. It's fun and you can download a Pascal compiler for free now.

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Primarily Java (mainstream), and Web development languages which I personally would like to focus on (HTML, Javascript, and CSS).
I have done Racket though, and am learning in no particular order: PHP. MySQL, Python, Ruby/Ruby on Rails (also web-languages
There are about 6 others I have been introduced to and others that look interesting, but whether I officially "learn" them, I do not know.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

I rarely use anything but C anymore.

Chainmuck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

HTML (I think it's 4.0 or 5.0), Javascript, CSS, and Notepad+ just to throw some stuff out there... Webpages anyone? :)

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 12:30 am

C/C++ (including kernel mode which is its own animal), ObjC, JS, Ruby, Perl, Python, GLSL, tiny amounts of asm, I guess "GNU make" is a language...

donryanocero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

python, fortran, c++

We use fortran at school, apparently there is a ton of legacy code around and its been the target of the largest optimization project ever. I still haven't noticed much of a difference in speed between even python and fortran. Python is ridiculously easy, so I mostly use python.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

C++ most of the time for me. Just a tiny bit C#, but I prefer C++

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 1:46 pm

I have done many over the years. Started off with C, then did Cobol, then Visual Basic, then learnt Java. Then did Siebel development for a few years and they had their own version of VB and Javascript. Now I am doing VB.net and am picking up Java again along with HTML and webstuff.

I love any programming languages have been coding obsessively recently.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 1:58 pm

donryanocero wrote:
python, fortran, c++

We use fortran at school, apparently there is a ton of legacy code around and its been the target of the largest optimization project ever. I still haven't noticed much of a difference in speed between even python and fortran. Python is ridiculously easy, so I mostly use python.

You don't port things to python if you're looking for high performance, even if you're coming from fortran. Actually GCC compiles fortran, so you're probably stepping way backward in performance. Anyway, you've seen this, as the "optimization project" has failed.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 2:02 pm

Check this:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/b ... &lang2=gpp

Python did even worse than Ruby, which has traditionally been the worst performing language in common circulation due to its reference interpreter being horribly brain damaged.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

The general programming language I use is C++. For shader programming I use shader languages. But right now I don't use shaders.
I know Java, but I'm learning Android programming.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:42 pm

I don't actually have much reason to program nowadays, but on the rare occasion that I feel like fiddling around with some algorithm, I usually use Java. It's not for any deep reason, it's just that it is the language I learned at university. Learning another language wouldn't be worth it for me.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Python did even worse than Ruby, which has traditionally been the worst performing language in common circulation due to its reference interpreter being horribly brain damaged.

Whether you need a fast language depends on what you're doing with it. If what you're doing is simple enough, you could spend hours porting a program from one language to another and end up making something that takes 30 milliseconds take only 3 milliseconds.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2012, 6:21 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Whether you need a fast language depends on what you're doing with it. If what you're doing is simple enough, you could spend hours porting a program from one language to another and end up making something that takes 30 milliseconds take only 3 milliseconds.

That depend of how you define simple. If it's just a couple of lines of code calling some libraries, the libraries being written in C and compiled, the python interpreter will spend most time calling the c functions, and rewriting the code in c or c++ is using the libraries natively, will only take the time for the linker to load the symbols if they are shared. And in python it will take mostly the same time, neglecting the interpreter overhead. But if the whole functionality is reimplemented, it will probably be statically linked and be probably faster than ten times faster, because of cache.