Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:12 pm

Anyone know the best value for my money?
Remember I play football, and my number one goal is to get FAST. strength is secondary, but (obviously) not an afterthough.

I need to start using it because my game season starts soon and it's gonna hurt like hell going back to practice in a week or so when Ramadan ends.

I need muscle recovery, and mass building.

I train HARD when I train and I don't want to start feeling sorry for myself when I do so. This is why.

*ANYWAYS* what are good values for my money?

I have ~ 60 dollars saved up and working with my dad so the dough keeps rolling in, about 10-20 dollars a day.

Ka-Ching!! Money in da bank :D

lol but yeah I need it in like...a day, so nothing too expensive.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

Walmart $15 "Body Fortress" whey protein, drink it in whole milk, and buy some baking cocoa to make it more chocolate tasting. Creatine, I tried once and it did nothing for me, if you have adequate meat intake you'll get a lot of creatine anyway.

I'd buy good multivitamins, like from Puritan's Pride. Better to buy ones that require like 6 pills a day. Vitamin C, take about 2000mg a day. I like Rhodiola Rosea for increasing endurance and helping my mood, think they sell pills of it on Puritan's Pride. Drink plenty of green tea, it's dirt cheap at Asian Markets. Better to get caffeine from tea, imo. Ginseng's always been fun for me, though. Fish oil is definitely good, buy fish oil tabs, or even better, buy cod liver oil. I'd say it'd be better to buy vitamins and herbs over protein powder, imo.

Herbs are cheaper if you make your own tea out of dried herbs in a crockpot, but it tastes nasty and it's inconvenient as all hell.

Something I'm interested in trying is a "stack" of Rhodiola Rosea, Siberian Ginseng, and Maral Root (rhaponticum carthiomides) supposedly Russian weightlifting teams used it and it was more effective than Dianabol. Supposedly.

For developing speed, as I've said, squats and general lower body work, and train for explosiveness, ie jumps and the like.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 12:18 am

1000Knives wrote:
Walmart $15 "Body Fortress" whey protein, drink it in whole milk, and buy some baking cocoa to make it more chocolate tasting. Creatine, I tried once and it did nothing for me, if you have adequate meat intake you'll get a lot of creatine anyway.
Similar, but you can buy a 5 pound bag at sams, quality isn't as good though and doens't mix as well.

nrgandy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 3:43 am

you would see better gains from a good diet! loose a bit of weight and build some muscle and you will get better

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:20 am

nrgandy wrote:
you would see better gains from a good diet!

Yep. Good diet is most important. Unless you're some big beefcake right now you most likely don't need protein supplements at all and eating a good diet will do you much better.

but anyways... ON Whey protein. Best around... Pretty cheap and great flavors... but I don't support using unneeded supplements.

Healthy and cheap supps that most people can benefit from taking:
A athletic based multi check back to see if 16 yr olds can take it, Green tea supps or green tea alone for antioxidants which fight against free radicals(don't get tea with "natural flavors" or bottled up sugar filled tea if you need to sweeten it up use a tablespoon of natural honey which further adds antioxidants to the tea, maybe some caffeine pills for increased energy, and fish oil pills for joints and mental function (you could use flax seed oil too) but it doesn't always work for everyone.

Again, most important thing is diet. If your diet sucks, your performance will eventually suck as well.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:47 am

nrgandy wrote:
you would see better gains from a good diet! loose a bit of weight and build some muscle and you will get better
Loose a bit of weight? He is not fat and he is doing football.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

i dunno if this is part of your aim but you should not be trying to build mass unless you are really skinny or your muscles not well balanced for football.

speed is all about power to weight ratio. smaller people usually have better power to weight ratios, i don't understand why but i think that is the case

i'm not saying don't get protein powder but maybe it's not as important as you think?

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

Since strength/mass is secondary, you probably shouldn't get protein powder. Just make sure you get a portion of protein with each meal and you should be fine.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

Look up soy, which is in protein powder if you want a reason not to take it.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 1:23 pm

I'm sure you can get more than enough quality protein just by eating healthy cheap foods in your and/or your parents budget. So much food is packed with protein. My guess is you don't weigh much since you just recently began working out and intend on gaining mass. Focus on fine tuning your diet and exercise before you get involved with most supps, like protein powder. You're probably going to end up wasting your money if you buy protein powder now because your knowledge is lacking a bit much in both diet and workout plans.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

Delphiki wrote:

Well soy is usually cheapest, but whey protein doesn't have soy. But yeah, lots of soy in the diet isn't good. I made a post about my experience with soy protein, not fun. My priest's wife (Orthodox priests are usually married, at least parish priests) had trouble conceiving until she stopped eating so much soy, as it made her estrogen levels high and basically acted like birth control pills. Fermented soy is OK, as it neutralizes the bad parts of soy, but soy milk, protein, etc, not as good.

For me and diet, I've found I need more vegetable intake than anything. Like a pound of raw mung bean sprouts every 2 days. But yeah, various veggies and fruits, and I don't need to avoid carbs per se, but just certain ones (like pasta) aren't good for me. I think the best carb source for me is beans and legumes, and they have a bonus of having more protein than grains.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:02 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Well soy is usually cheapest, but whey protein doesn't have soy.
Depends, the whey protien I get has some, but it isn't high quality