Do you socialize better 1 on 1 or in groups of people

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

I am much better 1 on 1 most of the time. I find that I am able to focus better.

There are rare occasions where it doesn't always make a big difference though. Such as being in a group of really close friends, just hanging out.

When it's me, just one or two people I know, and some folks I don't know it can be pretty difficult to socialize well.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm

I am also better one on one but if I know people in the group well enough a small group is ok but I am more comfortable talking on line at first then meeting one on one.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

1 on 1.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

If I must talk, then one on one is best.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

I prefer one on one too. It's easier to concentrate but also easier not to get lost in the background.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

When there are 2 other people, 3 including me. There's no awkward silence then. Happens to me a lot ><

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

In general I prefer one on one interaction... but it also depends on who the company is. If it's solely people I get along with really well, I can handle a group of four, five people.

It gets difficult when, beside someone I like, there's someone I either don't know very well, or just don;t get along with.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

Usually do okay either 1 on 1, or in groups of more than 4 people. I don't manage attention well in a group of 3 or 4 persons, and I get noticed [1].

[1] I think...

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:36 pm

I prefer one on one most of the time, but it kinda depends on who that other person it. Some people I get OK-ish along with, and in those cases one on one is the best. But for those I don't get along with that well, I find it better to have several people around so that I don't have to say that much.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:20 pm

I am better with one to one. I can have a normal conversation like any NT can, without even appearing socially awkward, and a lot of people even said that I am good to talk to (one of the biggest compliments an Aspie can receive). But in groups, I tend to not speak at all (unless I'm with close family or close friends that I have known for a long time). But I think I am also put off speaking up in group conversations because at my old volunteer job I used to get funny looks whenever I spoke up in a group conversation, then one day somebody actually said, ''I wasn't speaking to you!'', then lectured me afterwards about my quirk. I think from that day onwards I have been feeling a little less confident in myself and now afraid to speak up again, since apparently I don't seem to know the difference between joining in and butting in. But, because I see other people butting in other people's conversations a lot, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I've even seen people do worse than me.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
But I think I am also put off speaking up in group conversations because at my old volunteer job I used to get funny looks whenever I spoke up in a group conversation, then one day somebody actually said, ''I wasn't speaking to you!'', then lectured me afterwards about my quirk.

Sounds like somebody was just being an arse. They probably didn’t like what you had to say and that was their only way of responding.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

1-1 for me

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:23 pm

1-1 unless its a small group of like minded people

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 7:49 pm

I find it better with 1 on 1. I can't cope with a large group of people.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

One on one. Second best would be a massive group of strangers. Intimate groups are probably the worst, apart from my immediate family. A few people have said that they are okay in small groups of close friends, but I have never had a group of close friends so I don't know what that is like. In a group of not-quite-so-close-friends, that is probably the worst scenario for me. At least with strangers I can try to get to know them - with acquaintances the conversation is supposed to be in that middle ground between small talk and deep talk, and I don't know how to do it.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

1 on 1 definitely tends to be a lot easier.

Amongst close friends, a small groups works as well but I find that I tend to get lost in those conversations - I can never seem to really get a word in and end up feeling like a spectator to the conversation