Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

I'm Autistic and I'm happy to be alive. I'm glad that my mum gave me life, despite the way that she raised me. :)

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:16 am

Everyone has things to deal with that they don't like in life. To the extent that I've felt I shouldn't have been born, it's a reaction to other people's attitudes towards and treatment of me, not my natural feeling about myself. And that also comes from people's reactions to my fibromyalgia, not just my Asperger's. But things have gotten better for people's understanding of both, so they usually behave better, and I've gotten better at handling things - coping with other people's attitudes and coping with challenges I face directly because of those two issues. Plus, I'm with better people most of the time that I'm socializing now, I think.

There are worse things in life, for sure. And I'd have missed a lot if I'd never been born. Also, I've come to learn that others might feel they'd have missed a lot if I'd never been born. I know I'd have missed a lot if other people whose lives have affected mine had never been born. Ultimately, that may even include everyone.

Think about this: If you've posted on WP, the rest of us would've missed something if you'd never been born. There's something, right there.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

Danny24198
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2012, 2:17 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
ASD all day every day.

Thank you very much, feel free to message me as well! You sound like a nice person to talk to. :)

Danny24198
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

MindWithoutWalls wrote:
Everyone has things to deal with that they don't like in life. To the extent that I've felt I shouldn't have been born, it's a reaction to other people's attitudes towards and treatment of me, not my natural feeling about myself. And that also comes from people's reactions to my fibromyalgia, not just my Asperger's. But things have gotten better for people's understanding of both, so they usually behave better, and I've gotten better at handling things - coping with other people's attitudes and coping with challenges I face directly because of those two issues. Plus, I'm with better people most of the time that I'm socializing now, I think.

There are worse things in life, for sure. And I'd have missed a lot if I'd never been born. Also, I've come to learn that others might feel they'd have missed a lot if I'd never been born. I know I'd have missed a lot if other people whose lives have affected mine had never been born. Ultimately, that may even include everyone.

Think about this: If you've posted on WP, the rest of us would've missed something if you'd never been born. There's something, right there.

That is such a kind comment. Thank you so much for your contribution! I really appreciate it. :)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

Existing is freaking awesome.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Danny24198
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2012, 8:04 am

nrau wrote:
If I didn't want to live I'd already do something about it, OP.

I wasn't referrIng to suicide at all.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2012, 8:11 am

Danny24198 wrote:
nrau wrote:

By asking "would you rather not be born?" you have asked "would you rather not live?" to which I have answered that, if I'd rather not live then I would have already killed myself.

Danny24198
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2012, 11:53 am

nrau wrote:
Danny24198 wrote:
nrau wrote:

By asking "would you rather not be born?" you have asked "would you rather not live?" to which I have answered that, if I'd rather not live then I would have already killed myself.

Thank you for giving my post so much thought.

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

I'd definitely choose ASD over not living or mental/emotional disorders. Though I could be biased, since I don't have it as bad as most. Some days I feel like I'm really missing out socially, sometimes I really wish I had better control over my nonverbal communication, but overall, it's a good life.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm

I'd go with ASD.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:22 pm

Well, depending on your philosophical beliefs, it's possible that all of us here were faced with that choice and decided upon being born autistic. Who's to say we're not up in heaven or in some weird alternate-dimension spiritual world before we're born, and we have to choose who we're born to and how we're born before we leave for earth? Not sure I believe it, but there's no evidence to disprove it yet. I for one would choose being born autistic over never being born at all; impaired life has to be better than no life at all.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

Thinking of not existing scares the day lights out of me. I think I'd rather be born autistic with a few co-morbid mental issues than not be born at all. There are however other disorders and/or diseases that I'd rather not be born at all with.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2012, 4:07 am

Sure there is hardship, but there can be magic in being an aspie. I swear there is more wonder left in the world for us than NT people. I've got two NT friends who are actively jealous of my stimming and the way I find "everyday" things captivating and entrancing. I don't see why they can't see the beauty in things or just let go and spin or run, but they can't.

Now that I've got my diagnosis, I know I'll never really be normal, but that's fine. I'll face my challenges and enjoy the special qualities of my world. From what I can tell, my world has more magic in it than an NT person's world.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 4:10 am

Merculangelo wrote:
"Mamaaaa, oooahoooo...I don't wanna die. 'Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all."

bohemian rhapsody!

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 4:33 am

CrystalStars wrote:
ASD all day every day.

couldn't have said it better.