Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:01 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Why so much firepower?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:10 am

one day i'd love a new puter that was entirely solid state [no hard drive]. no moving parts 'cept for the dvd drive.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:23 am

mmcool wrote:
Im starting to get the parts in for it
hares what the final specs will be or likely to be

32GB ram (most likely komputerbay)
Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5GHz 4 core with ht
westondigatal or stagnate HDD 2tb space
maybe a 64gb SSD
ATI readon 6980 2gb or better
case brand: icute
motherboard: Intel media series DP67BA

please reply with your comments and suggestions

One, that much RAM is going to be sitting around unused and wasted 90% of the time unless you have an app that will actually use it. VERY few come even close!!

Two, why hamper such a great chip (and overclocker) with a terrible motherboard chipset?? That P67 can't even really overclock, plus it's two generations old. Z77 or bust!

The newer chipset could also use a 64GB SSD as a drive cache, making your most-run programs (and Windows itself) run almost as fast as pure SSD, but for the entire 2-3TB drive!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:29 am

Dude, I gotta ask, what are the specs on your pc?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:43 am

Mine? I started with this: NCIX Link for $150 CDN, stock heatsink is nice and quiet.
then 2x4GB super fast DDR3-1600 for $40
My treat was a genuine Intel 330 120GB SSD (not the absolute fastest SSD drive out there but close, and one of the longest-lifetimes with best reliability) for $100
Then I scored a used Radeon 4870 video card for a lousy $20 and a high-end Antec case w/ 620W Corsair modular power supply (scratched on one side which I can't see anyway) for a miserly $40.

$350 for whiz-bang awesome gaming. No complaints here. ;) The i3 vs. i5 in games is relatively small. i5 vs. i7 is almost NIL.

Windows Experience Scores:
Processor: 7.1
Memory: 7.5
Graphics: 7.5
Gaming: 7.5
Primary Disk: 7.9

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

@ BlueMax
I chose the DP67BA because of its media features and it is made to work best with an i7

the ram is going to be 32GB for 2 reasons one I can get a better framrate on alot of games because alot of games will use more ram if it they

and secound reason to showoff to people

I can get access to wholesale prices :-)
the thing that has the best wholesale money off is ram
£20 for a 8gb stick
but the motherboard is pickey and only accepts 1333mhz ram

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

mmcool wrote:
I chose the DP67BA because of its media features and it is made to work best with an i7

False. It has no special media features any other new board would have - in fact, if you're using a 3rd-generation i7, you'll get more out of the 3rd-generation chipset that came out at the same time. It's it's not a z77 (or other 7xx or x75 variant) it's older and LESS capable.

mmcool wrote:
the ram is going to be 32GB for 2 reasons one I can get a better framrate on alot of games because alot of games will use more ram if it they

Unbelievably false! There are only two factors to games - the speed of the processor and the speed of the video card. Very few apps and ZERO games come even close to that kind of memory use and would show any difference from even 8GB RAM. Ram may be cheap, but the money wasted on excessive RAM could get you a bigger/better SSD and a faster video card. ACTUAL PERFORMANCE (and maybe visual style) is the only thing that matters! :D

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:51 pm

actualy games like minecraft like more ram the better
this is not a small budget pc

and that mother board has 10 channel sound and 7.1 surround support

I be looking for a ATI card to provide grafixs
as I hate the low fps of nidiva

I have a big budget for this

the power supply will be 1000w (waiting fir wholesale price on that)
the ram wholesale is £22.50 per 8gb stick from OEM

the CPU is about £218 wholesale

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2012, 8:11 pm

I would replace the Intel motherboard with a better one and just buy a good sound card. Also, you will never use up 32GB of RAM, no matter what game you are playing. 8GB is more than enough.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

You also don't need such a large & expensive power supply unless you're running 2-3 high-end video cards in SLI/Crossfire.

Even running a Minecraft SERVER wouldn't use 16GB of RAM, let alone 32. Start with 16 if you must, leave the other two slots empty for later.

And if you're going to get an overclocking "K" processor, at least get a motherboard that supports overclocking! I still say go Z77 and don't look back.

Onboard sound is good enough for all but musicians.

Besides Minecraft, what other games are you looking at most? Some are optimized for nVidia, others for ATI... check video reviews that use your favorite games to test.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 10:16 pm

32 GBs of ram is the equivilant of this V

Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:59 pm

IBM's "watson" supercomputer uses 15 terabytes of ultra-high-speed RAM. how soon will it be, that ordinary desktop PCs are running complicated programs that will push those boundaries?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
IBM's "watson" supercomputer uses 15 terabytes of ultra-high-speed RAM. how soon will it be, that ordinary desktop PCs are running complicated programs that will push those boundaries?

I say about within 20 years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:22 am

Titangeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I say about within 20 years.

ok, can you hop into the time machine, travel forward in time to 2032, hope out at your buddy's house and see what he is doing with his PC, then report back? IOW what sorts of programs do you believe regular folks could be doing with their PCs- calculating the in's and out's of various moneymaking schemes? that, i imagine, would be the #1 use of such home supercomputers. joe everyman in 2032, might be doing what the quant math wizards on wall street are doing now.