Nervous about adult Asperger's assessment

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

01stanbk
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2012, 10:21 am

I had the assessment, and I actually was not impressed, I did not think it a very reliable form of diagnosis.

They basically asked me a load of questions, but because they had a foreign accent, I often could not understand what was being said. The room was pretty run down and it just had a really unprofessional feel about it. There was also no receptionist, as I was 30 mins early i was unshorn i was in the right place.

I also found the questions hard to answer; one example being are you obsessive? so i began describing my intense interest in my dogs and harry potter, only for him to say he means do i wash my hands lots of times over and over. If he meant do I wash my hands lots, why not ask that?

It just felt most of the time i didn't quite get what he was really asking me. I just did not feel that in that two hours he got a very good idea of my as a person at all. Basically it felt like a tick sheet, he asked a question i said yes or no, so i really am not convinced.

I did take my mum along, which actually was quite good, as she was more honest than i expected and was able to explain what i was not able to explain.

I did receive a diagnose of Asperger's, but i do not put much faith in it being correct. When asked if I had any other concerns regarding my mental health i said no, because i don't. But after thinking about it, I have obsessive controlling eating habits and physical as well as verbal tics, but i did not mention these, as i did not trust him.

Anyway, my advice to anyone seeking a diagnosis, don't bother unless you really really need a peace of paper that says you have Asperger's. If you think you have it, you probably do and do not need someone who has only know you for a few hours to tell you other wise.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:48 pm

Was the original diagnosis as a kid initiated by your school then? Surely your parents must at least be aware of it even if they didn't initiate the process - they should understand your need to have this clarified one way or the other.

As for Hopper being told you can't have AS because you once played cricket - wow that Doctor is using some bizarre diagnostic criteria!