Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:06 am

I just read about something called a "stitch" that runners get in one of the links I found thanks to this thread. That must have been what I got when I was young and why I never liked to run long distances. Anybody have trouble with stitches when they run? I can remember mine being so annoying it used to keep me from exerting myself. I am so grateful to no longer have them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:10 am

Voyageress wrote:

Happy running!

Vx

I appreciate all your help! My main problem was running everyday and not giving my muscles enough recovery time so I didn't think I was advancing like I should considering all the exercise I did. So I am going to take three days off a week and see if this improves my endurance. Before I felt the tiredness in my leg muscles every time unless I took a day off but I heard that marathon runners ran everyday during coverage of a local marathon so I thought that was the only way to train. Now I shall see just how far I can advance before Spring. Also, I tend to jog instead of run. How do you know when something is a jog verses actual running?

Voyageress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

'Jogging' can be defined as being able to run and keep a conversation going without being out of breath. 'Running' is when the effort is a bit harder. This all dependent on your heart rate. This a good guide: http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/h ... ors/hrzone. The site also has some good general running information and advice.

Personally, I don't like the phrase 'jogging' - as far as I'm concerned if you're not walking you're running, regardless of how fast (or slow) you're going!

I would also recommend a core strength session once a week, such as Pilates, and possibly add a body circuit and/or weights into the mix. You might want to try yoga, but I prefer the straightforward approach of Pilates. People tend to forget that the arms and core are just as important as the legs for running!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

Voyageress wrote:
'Jogging' can be defined as being able to run and keep a conversation going without being out of breath. 'Running' is when the effort is a bit harder. This all dependent on your heart rate. This a good guide: http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/h ... ors/hrzone. The site also has some good general running information and advice.

Personally, I don't like the phrase 'jogging' - as far as I'm concerned if you're not walking you're running, regardless of how fast (or slow) you're going!

I would also recommend a core strength session once a week, such as Pilates, and possibly add a body circuit and/or weights into the mix. You might want to try yoga, but I prefer the straightforward approach of Pilates. People tend to forget that the arms and core are just as important as the legs for running!

I feel the same way! If I am not walking, I must be running. The effort sure does feel like running to me!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

I entered my first 5k and ran it Saturday!! I cannot believe I am doing this! In high school I could never make it around the football field and I just ran 3.1 miles at 8:45 in the blessed A M!! ! My time was really lousy, only 42 minutes and I did not win anything but now I know what I need to work on. I want to be able to run it in thirty minutes or less and am going to aim for that time before the next 5k on Thanksgiving day!

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I entered my first 5k and ran it Saturday!! I cannot believe I am doing this! In high school I could never make it around the football field and I just ran 3.1 miles at 8:45 in the blessed A M!! ! My time was really lousy, only 42 minutes and I did not win anything but now I know what I need to work on. I want to be able to run it in thirty minutes or less and am going to aim for that time before the next 5k on Thanksgiving day!

Well done :) that's great! And that's not a bad time at all :). I'm running the Birmingham half marathon tomorrow...nervous!!

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 4:53 pm

I've done 3 half marathons. My best is 1hr 47min. Im not a big fan of racing any distant over 3.10 miles

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 12:38 pm

billiscool wrote:
I've done 3 half marathons. My best is 1hr 47min. Im not a big fan of racing any distant over 3.10 miles

You beat me, lol, I was 1 hour 50 mins! Very sore today though...

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2012, 10:40 pm

An increase in your fitness and endurance from training and running a marathon 26.2 miles/42.195km will ensure you run a good half marathon 13.1 miles/21.1km. Use shorter distance runs 5km and 10km to improve your speed and endurance. The 5km and 10km will boost your fitness, speed and endurance and assist you in running improved half marathon times. Repetitions of 400m and 800m will help you train for 5km and 10km events. Long runs are key in improving your endurance for half marathons and marathons.

Increase long run by only 1 mile per week or 10% in lead up to half marathon or marathon to avoid the risk of injury. 2 or 3 runs of 8 to 11 miles in half marathon is ideal. 3 or 4 runs of 20 mile+ are ideal in a marathon training plan. Gradually increase weekly mileage in training for half marathon or marathon, ensure a 2 or 3 week taper in final weeks leading up to half marathon or marathon to ensure you are fresh for race day. Nutrition and hydration is critical in fueling and avoiding injury. A 16 week training plan is ideal for half marathon, a 20+ week training plan is ideal for marathon.

Last edited by steviewonderau on 29 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm

i wouldnt make it to mile 2 rofl

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 12:52 am

Ran a half marathon in summer 2011... Mad Half Marathon in Vermont in 1:31. That course was hilly as all hell though. Hoping to hit about 2:55-3:00 on the dead flat Houston Marathon course next month.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm

Hills are a challenge. I like the flat courses best but have learned it's best to train on hills.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 4:35 am

I train on hills (can't help it where I live) and it always makes me feel good in a race because I get a much faster time than I'm used to! have got two half marathons and a full one planned for next year...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:13 pm

That's awesome, Bubbles! I want to enter a half marathon one day but I know I need to train and build myself up first. I will graduate to 8k, then 10, then maybe 12k before I find a half marathon to enter.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 3:17 am

Good idea to build up- get used to shorter distances as routine then gradually add more. I've been doing 6 miles at a time and one 12 miler a week for about a year now, and totally surprised myself the other day by running 16 miles! My foot really hurt afterwards though so think I need to build it up more slowly. Fitness-wise though, it felt fine. Good luck with your running :) let me know if you want any advice, I read running magazines/articles/websites/books several times a day!

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 7:58 am

i just walked under 2 miles and got winded lol. ill stick to weight lifting! hard to be good at all trades.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits