Any weird obsessions for objects during childhood?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 1:34 am

Did anyone ever think some random bizarre thing was the coolest, neatest most wonderous thing in the world when you were young? I can recall being fixated with the calendar at my nursery school. I have no idea what turned me on so much about it, maybe the boxes, the days, the order of it all, but I remember it was the bomb when I was 5 hahaha. I had a thing for cornucopias when I was about 6 or 7. I'd get so excited when I'd see them in pictures and seeing them in real life was the most exciting thing ever. I wanted my parents to get one sooooooo bad. The way I reacted to them you'd think they were the hottest new toy or something.

Nightturtle
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2012, 8:34 am

Somewhere in the loft I still have a suitcase full of spent CO2 soda syphon bulbs. They were solid and heavy and I loved the feel of them. Dammit! That's made me want to go and look for them! :?

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2012, 10:20 am

twisty ties, various types of paper clips. fasteners of any sort really.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

I have always had an "obsession" with the same things I have now. As a child, I'd ask people (those I knew didn't mind me) when shooting if I could have a round. They'd always let me have one, tell me about it and the weapon they were using, often letting me fire said weapon.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I have always had an "obsession" with the same things I have now. As a child, I'd ask people (those I knew didn't mind me) when shooting if I could have a round. They'd always let me have one, tell me about it and the weapon they were using, often letting me fire said weapon.

I've always been kinda fascinated by guns, always wanted to learn how to use one. I'd be afraid to own one though, that whole fear of accidently killing a loved one or shooting my foot off . . .

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

I had a Russian nesting doll. Just thinking about it makes me want another one....

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 2:08 pm

Kindertotenlieder79 wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:

I've always been kinda fascinated by guns, always wanted to learn how to use one. I'd be afraid to own one though, that whole fear of accidently killing a loved one or shooting my foot off . . .

I own several myself and they seem to be one of the few things I can be confident about my knowledge and skill of. If you wish to own firearms, but have a fear of negative consequences arising from an accidental discharge, you can be taught how to properly use and maintain firearms. There are plenty of people out there that would not mind helping you. Afterall, they had to learn from someone.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

I've always been interested in prosthetics, braces and wheelchairs. It's kind of ironic that now I have a physical disability requiring leg braces and s wheelchair. :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:25 am

this wasn't actually a real object but something in a video game but i liked it none the less. the blocks on super mario bros. the type of blocks that made up the 'stairs' for the flag pole. i like how they were squared and had another square that looked like it jutted out in 3d to the point it looked like you could touch it. i always wished i could somehow "get into the game"so i could put my hand over the blocks so i could feel the 3d texture.

i also loved the way circuit boards looked. i always thought they looked so fascinating like miniature cities. i used to take everything apart in the house including my mom's answering machine to see what the circuit board looked like. it used to get me into a lot of trouble.

i also like the reflectors you see on highways, the kind that you see inbetween the painted dash lines lane line marks on the highway. when i was a little kid, i was so curious as to what those where and always wondered what they were and what they looked like up close and what they felt like. obvously i never had the chance to run in the middle of a highway when i was six to find out what they were so i became a fascinating mystery that only kept building up more as time went on.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 2:35 am

sea shells. i collected over 700 specimens till my mom started throwing them out

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2020, 5:10 pm

Childhood like as if it ever ended. Chronologically 54. Developmentally delayed. Now I'm saying I'm 19. I want to be treated as an adult so 19 is good.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 6:12 pm

I had an obsession with my teddy bear but I don't think that counts as weird or bizarre.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 6:26 pm

Yes, my penis.
I was very attached to it. 8)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 6:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
Yes, my penis.

That reminds me - I was obsessed with burps as a child. I seemed 'turned on' by them, and if there was a burp in a movie I would keep rewinding it over and over again just to listen to the burp. Same with comic books, if there was a burp I would keep reading that particular part with the burp and observing the details of the character doing a burp.

Very, very obsessed. :oops:

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 7:15 pm

I used to have a rather strange interest in car alarms. I was probably 7-9 . Not sure but for that age it's peculiar to like them. :?

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 7:18 pm

Pepe wrote:
Yes, my penis.

Im guessing if you had a kinetic watch it'd probably be alright for time Pepe? :lol: