Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

The advantage knowing either about Asperger's or Autism Spectrum gives to me is the possibility of a tribe.

I mean, consider a person who was transgend in the 1970s. Even if this person was seeing a counselor, think how much better is it meeting other people facing the same or similar life issues as yourself?

We can, in time, form our own Autism Spectrum self-advocacy, self-help, and resource clearing houses, where the majority of the voting members are themselves on the Spectrum (and I think self-diagnosed is fine). And good-hearted professionals can help out, but they don't get to run the show, and if they really are good-hearted, they should understand that.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 9:50 am

PixieXW -- you make the point that Asperger's is difficult to diagnose (probably most of us self diagnose first), but beyond diagnosis is the problem of others understanding that we do not men to be offensive, but merely, naturally say and do things which we feel appropriate even though society may not feel that way.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:
So something has been on my mind. Why do people with Aspergers identify as Aspies rather than Auties?

I don't know any people with autism autism. But I know people that have aspie traits and communicating with them gave me the impression they are similar to that what I am.
I know one guy with tourette and he seems to be really similar than I am, but I don't feel like that I have to do some movements,
although I like to do some special movements.

I would like to sort of define aspie by that what I feel/ know about it through communication with others with similar problems.
And they call themselves aspies.

Nothing more.

Then we have wonderful coping strategies and we are logical. And have a good chance to participate actively and usefully in society.
And many self developed problem work around, which are sometimes incredible and incredibly innovative.
We can still see the normal world when we use heavy thinking, but don't generally like to do so (because it doesn't make sense).
We are somewhat stubborn, but for a good reason. We do a lot to interact with the surroundings.

Aspies have many exclusively positive properties, whereas with people with classical autism these are difficult to define although there might be some and stay unrecognized mostly I guess. About HFA I don't know either anything, but probably they are nearer to us than to classical autism???

I don't know is there yet any scientific explanation for the similarity or difference between people that have classical autism and aspies.

I like also spectrum, because it is probably that what it is. From very weak symptoms to very severe, with a few common properties and similar causes.
I would say "I am on spectrum" (that sounds more fancy :lol: ) but not "I am autie".

And then you could use that word without making a direct connection but some certain others will be able to connect it the right way :-)

Last edited by onks on 30 Aug 2012, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 1:03 pm

Oldout wrote:
The DSM-V will supposedly place Aspergers with HFA. That will then trigger the continued the use of the "it's mild" diagnosis, even though its impact on us can be and is significant. Admittedly, Asperger's is a condition in a gray area which makes understanding it difficult for the average person.

I don't see how that would nessisarily happen, maybe not everyone with aspergers would be considered 'mild' if anything I think putting AS under autism spectrum might help dispose of the idea that the symptoms are always mild.