An example of excellent parenting.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:30 am

A friend and I took a trip to the county fair a while back, and while standing amongst the crowd waiting for a race to begin, I spotted a woman calmly grasping an angry, teary eyed girl of the age of about 7 or 8 by the wrists. It appeared that this woman was the girl's mother. The girl was carrying on and whining, and struggling to break free, yet despite this, the mother remained completely still and calm. She never once yelled or attempted to reason with the girl. She simply said in a calm, quiet voice, about three or so times "Calm down." She didn't appear angry in the least bit.

After about three minutes of this, the girl stopped struggling. The mother said something, the girl smiled, the mother let go, and the girl happily bounded over to the fence to watch the race as if nothing had ever happened.

I imagine the girl might have been on the spectrum, but I think the mother handled her daughter's meltdown wonderfully. She recognized it as a very temporary moment and she did not let it upset her or ruin her or her daughter's day.

I was quite impressed.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

That is impressive. It is hard to maintain that level of equanimity at home with no one watching but I find it takes even more effort to stay calm and focused in a crowd of strangers. Thanks for sharing that positive note!

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 10:34 am

It is impressive. I imagine she has to switch off, to all passersby, as she should.

But, it's difficult when you get nosey parkers butting in and telling you that they know just what that child needs. My parents witnessed such an incident a couple of weeks ago. The mother was doing fine, under the circumstances and this busy body said in a very loud voice, 'That child just needs a good skelp', (that's spank or slap in Scots). My Mum, having experienced similar with my daughter, was completely sympathetic to what the mother and child were going through and told her to mind her own business.

I'm not the type of person who can just deal with my daughter and forget what everyone else might be thinking. I'm getting better at it, just as my daughter is getting easier to deal with anyway and doesn't have meltdowns in the street these days. Typical!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

That good you found that great parenting but I know some other people would look at it and think of her as a bad parent for allowing her child to act that way and ignoring it. You really can't win with parenting. No matter what you do as a parent, someone will always be judging you for your choices or actions. So all you can do is not care what people think of you as a parent.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:36 pm

League_Girl wrote:
That good you found that great parenting but I know some other people would look at it and think of her as a bad parent for allowing her child to act that way and ignoring it. You really can't win with parenting. No matter what you do as a parent, someone will always be judging you for your choices or actions. So all you can do is not care what people think of you as a parent.

Uh, she wasn't.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 12:24 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Uh, she wasn't.

I have been reading childfree forums for the past year and I have seen how screwed their thoughts are on parents. I know if they saw a situation like that, one of them be making a thread about how they saw a "breeder" with her "spawn" and how she "ignored" her because she wasn't screaming at her and because she was crying and the parent wasn't saying a word and was doing gentle parenting. They quickly jump to conclusions.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 3:27 am

League_Girl wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Uh, she wasn't.

I have been reading childfree forums for the past year and I have seen how screwed their thoughts are on parents. I know if they saw a situation like that, one of them be making a thread about how they saw a "breeder" with her "spawn" and how she "ignored" her because she wasn't screaming at her and because she was crying and the parent wasn't saying a word and was doing gentle parenting. They quickly jump to conclusions.
I agree. Many people would have seen her approach as laxed (even though it was the best solution). She would have been criticised by someone, no matter what she did.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 4:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Uh, she wasn't.

Wow, that's ugly and hateful, right? Because screaming would certainly help.

Whenever I witness a kid having a meltdown or acting out, I try to throw the parent a line. Whether it is a sympathetic smile or "heh, my turn was yesterday." Anything just so for one moment they do not need to feel alone. People are very harsh and judgmental and no matter how hard you try to not care, it is hard to stand there, doing what you know is best, knowing others are judging you for it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:08 pm

And I have recently learned that if you don't care what others think of you, oh no it;s a bad thing too. Another Murphy's Law. Your kid is f****d they say and they also think good parents would be concerned about what is being said to them. But really, what if they were just wrong and they are just nothing but judgements and lack of understanding of the situation? People can still judge you for letting your kids go to public school so should that mean the parent should care and pull all her kids out and do private school or home school? You can be homeschooling and someone will still judge you for that so should that mean you should put you kid in private school now? But then someone may still judge you for sending your kid to that kind of private school so should you pull your kid out and keep putting them in another private school when someone is critical about it? That is why I say parents shouldn't care what others thinks. You have to draw the line somewhere.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
And I have recently learned that if you don't care what others think of you, oh no it;s a bad thing too. Another Murphy's Law. Your kid is f**** they say and they also think good parents would be concerned about what is being said to them. But really, what if they were just wrong and they are just nothing but judgements and lack of understanding of the situation? People can still judge you for letting your kids go to public school so should that mean the parent should care and pull all her kids out and do private school or home school? You can be homeschooling and someone will still judge you for that so should that mean you should put you kid in private school now? But then someone may still judge you for sending your kid to that kind of private school so should you pull your kid out and keep putting them in another private school when someone is critical about it? That is why I say parents shouldn't care what others thinks. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Agreed. I think all any parent can do is do the research, think it through, look at what their kid needs and then make a decision. Someone always will judge. Because there will always be someone who would have made a different decision, and most people cannot accept that two decisions might both have their own merit and one may not be better than the other. Most people automatically assign superiority/inferiority and very few will assign inferiority to their own choice. In fact, there is a psychological drive to distance yourself from choices not made, so while I guess on a rational level I "get it," I really don't get it, ykwim?

JustinsDad
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Uh, she wasn't.

Wow, that's ugly and hateful, right? Because screaming would certainly help.

Whenever I witness a kid having a meltdown or acting out, I try to throw the parent a line. Whether it is a sympathetic smile or "heh, my turn was yesterday." Anything just so for one moment they do not need to feel alone. People are very harsh and judgmental and no matter how hard you try to not care, it is hard to stand there, doing what you know is best, knowing others are judging you for it.

Being the dad with two boys melting down in public a few times I've gotten praise for weathering the storm in similar ways so I appreciate when someone tells me so. My kids' meltdowns are much more severe (my ASD/MR 8yo bites and bangs his head and my NT 5yo has a temper and doesn't understand why his brother gets away with being "bad") so I must say that it's really hard to keep calm when one's bleeding and the other may have given himself a concussion off the floor. Being a man though I find I get less sympathy when my kids are melting down than I would if they were just behaving oddly, and I'm putting that mildly.