How common are sensory issues in AS?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2012, 6:52 pm

It really varies from person to person, and even specific sound/texture/etc. For example, I'm a professional musician and I play drums which are loud, yet they don't bother me. But I can't stand things like vacuum cleaners, power flush toilets, lawnmowers, and even quieter things like florescent lights and various electronics that hum. I don't like any of my electronics to beep at me.

As for lights, I don't like bright ones, which makes stage lights difficult to deal with at times.

I only wear cotton clothes because I can't stand the feel of other materials. In fact, I only wear jeans, no dress pants, etc. I've been known to cut the tags out of my clothes too. I don't like touching micro-fibre cloths (too weird feeling).

Yeah, some food feels to weird to eat/chew. It's different for every Aspie…

SHEILD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 1:50 am

Sound sensitivity is most common. Just remember that the sensitivity may be litteraly painful and so not to force the issue -it's not something I will 'get used to' or 'grow out of'.