Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Sep 2012, 8:47 am

It depends on the song. It is rare to hear a song where the lyrics are the be all and end all. Even something like Desolation Row by Bob Dylan, which would initially appear to be very focused on the lyrics, requires you to be swept away by the atmosphere of the song, the sound of Dylan's voice and the guitar.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 8:55 am

I'm more of a music person as well. I love hearing the melodies, it sends chills down my spine. I think my family listens to music for more of a lyrics thing because they can never understand why I like listening to the music I do so much.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 9:29 am

i am interested in the melody and the rhythmic iteration of the melody more than i am interested in lyrics.
if there are people singing, then i hear them (like others) as additional contributions to the harmonies associated with the basic melodic transpiration, and as such they are pleasant sonically, but they are not of importance with respect to "meaning" to me.

i have never heard a song where the meaning of the lyrics is exciting to me, and i really could not care for poetry either (although i often engage in random poetic semblances).

as far as choral arrangements are concerned, i like intelligently ascribed musical sentences to voices that can easily perform those sentences.

nobody yet has posted a youtube video, so i hope i do not annoy anyone , but i was in the car and this song was played, and it reminded me of how i used to like this song and i post it as an example of a beautiful combination of harmonies and progressions of melodies performed by human voices (female backing vocals during the song (from 3:17 onwards.))

the visual content of the clip is not my "cup of tea", and the meaning of the song is irrelevant to me, but the rich and intelligent cross-flows in the melody are very much liked by me.

this is just one example of a song where human voices are essential.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s90dZHBgsE[/youtube]

lambey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2012, 9:42 am

depends. i listen to lyrics mostly, as with bands like Linkin Park who have very deep lyrics which is something i like and i can often relate to.
but yeah, the sounds of the music itself are important. especially in modern electronic-ish music, where lyrics often dont mean a lot.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

Mostly, I listen to music in the car. As for what matters, it's a mixture of things. I tend not to like love songs as I find them too trite and prefer music with a more interesting subject matter. However, there are songs that I like to listen to just for the way they sound or affect my emotions.