Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2012, 1:02 am

When I was in early college I had a weird feeling that something was off...turns out my friend passed away during that time period. I even checked up on him right after and then later got the horrible news. I don't think its "psychic" or anything. I just think that sometimes if you are super close to someone you are kind of on the same wavelength so to speak. I just get feelings that I cant explain....My father said he had a similar occurrence when his mother passed away. He didn't know what it was or anything...simply a feeling something wasn't right or something bad might have happened. I also say I can sort of predict the weather because I always get headaches with weather shifts (of course that's more explainable). I can sort of predict things based on patterns, but really anybody with a superb memory can do that. This one guy I met (I think he is a narc) has such a patterned usage of language that you can say something and actually predict what he says next. He kind of creeps me out actually. I even wrote something out in case I ran into him again so I can see if I am correct.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

Quote:
I further predict that Fnord will see the sarcasm in XFilesGeek's post

Let's see, shall we?

Fnord wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
I TOTALLY WIN!! ! :lol:

Not yet, you haven't...

Click This Link to learn of an offer of $1,000,000 (U.S.) to anyone that can demonstrate paranormal abilities under laboratory conditions.

Win that, and you can legitimately call your win "Total".

Otherwise, the only people you can convince of your "psychic" abilities are other "psychics".

Sorry, FMX, I guess you're not psychic like I am. :lol:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

Some autistic savants have been known to display a sixth sense, extra sensory perception.

I felt the moment my mother passed away when I was 13 years old, I was staying at my aunt’s house three hundred miles away.
A week before my stepfather passed away, I shared a phone conversation with him, after he put the phone down I went to a friend and told him my father would be dead soon, he died a week later of a heart attack, his first and only one.

I’ve had bouts of telepathy all my life, with friends and strangers. I’ve had many similar events go on in my life from knowing what someone is going to say on the TV, to knowing the exact time when someone asks me without looking at a time piece beforehand.
I once saw a picture of a baby in black and white, an old fashioned picture. I shouted out Agatha Christy, it turned out to be a picture of Agatha Christy at six months old. How would I know that?

I visited my sister after many years, on entering her house there was a number of photos laid out on the wall, possibly ten in total. I was fixed on this one photo of a young guy in his twenty’s, I told my sister that he was dead. It turned out he was the neighbour’s son, he died in a motorbike accident some years ago.

I’m not a psychic and don’t believe in them.

Most of the time like now for example, I’m a high functioning Aspie, I pretty much go on and on like the best of them. When I day dream or my attention span goes I sense stuff let’s say.

When I become very stressed, usually after dealing with a bad situation, my mind slows down, I’m no longer a high functioning Aspie anymore, I can’t look anyone in the eyes, I look left towards the ground, I babble, I’m no longer able to express myself at all, I couldn’t even tell you my name. Everything is in slow motion. My mind literally goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.
No doctor can explain why my mind behaves like this, other than being born two and a half months premature with brain abnormalities to my left hemisphere.

My mind slows down and speeds up because of stress. Does anybody else’s mind do this?

I’m able to experience what scientist call paranormal incidences. I just see it as another uncharted part of our being we haven’t realized yet, another side to our mind.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

Surfman wrote:
To those with first hand experience
no explanation is necessary
To those that dont
none is possible

That's pretty much it
but I can be shown
So just one demonstration
is all that it would take

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

So beyond the arguing and feeble attempts to compile data... Amidst all the instances where a people have actually learned new concrete information (in sleep, for example) without any physical or conventional sensory method...

Wouldn't it just be safer to assume that the burden of "concrete proof" would fall more heavily on humanity's ability to measure "psychic ability" rather than on the people claiming to have it?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:22 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:

Wouldn't it just be safer to assume that the burden of "concrete proof" would fall more heavily on humanity's ability to measure "psychic ability" rather than on the people claiming to have it?

Interesting thought...

But people are generally not vested in proving something they do not believe in. They are only interested in proving it's nonexistence.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm

I think the difference of opinion often comes down to the definition of "psychic". Being highly perceptive is not "psychic", though it certainly can be misinterpreted as such. Eg. I would not consider being able to tell the time very accurately a paranormal ability (though it is unusual - and useful). However, knowing that a person has died without receiving that information by any physical means or having any reason to expect it would be paranormal. Unfortunately, it would also be extremely difficult to test.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Sorry, FMX, I guess you're not psychic like I am. :lol:

Indeed! That will teach me not to assume anything when it comes to aspies and sarcasm.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2012, 6:14 am

I read that only 150 individuals have ever been able to tell the time without the aid of a time piece, all savants or people with damage to the left hemisphere. A nasty bang to the head can also bring about this strange feat.

As long as we don’t know how the mind truly works, there is a mass of untapped potential that awaits us.

My mind has been able to do many different things over the years. Yesterday I went to put a chicken in the oven, as I was doing so I had a vision that the gas bottle was empty ( I live in Spain, they are a bit behind the times) sure enough after five minutes the gas ran out.

You are right, it's nothing to do with been a psychic, it's all about perception. For me anyway, it feels like something else takes over.
It's a shame religion has messed up our perception of what a spirit is, there is much more to the mind than matter and neurons.

noobler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 3:54 am

maybe... the whole talking to spirits thing is actually an autistic person using a part of the brain that by nature is conducive to standard autistic pattern recognition and thinking... but by practice has been partially ... modified through use? can't remember the right word for it... to be social and attune to social sub-routines and algorythm(it's algorithm, I'm sure there's a linguistic connection there) behaviour thingies or whatever (since that's how we do it from what I get, probability and observation)

so that what you get is a "false schizophrenic hallucination" due to crosswiring between the softwired social entity recognition aspects and the hardwired look at physical reality notice patterns see cause and effect-flow of things aspects

and the compromise is spirits, entities that are half entity, half... force of nature and not really there but you can "sense" them or it seems as if they're there despite a lack of sensory input actually saying they're there

and a key note here is that this is .. not consuming your personality - and you are able to actually predict stuff usefully and more often than otherwise, perhaps schizophrenia achieves this effect due to the demyelinerization or whatever.... increasing agenticity everywhere... resulting in "criss-cross of purpose of that part of the brain" more often and in a larger way....

and the reason for the autistic version is because... you are using "all of your brain" (that fallacy, maybe an autistic noticed they weren't thinking completely as much as they used to) and growing up feels like you "lost" something - because you allocated a ...partition of your brain specifically towards social functioning using autistic methodology aka reasoning and probability

and that in this case "using all of your brain" means taking that partitioned space, that is never fully conditioned to social aspects, and there's some habitual processes that spill into one's functions "polluting" it like an NT's thoughts might be.... but you're grabbing that extra bit of brainpower that is habitually not used (increased cognition)

I knew I was different when I was young, I went into denial over it, only recently did I come back, and BOY did I "come back" - when I was young I knew how I was different and described myself exactly the way autism is described, then I worked on fitting in and thought I was normal after a while and my thoughts on being different faded and I ended up fitting in, but badly and not being able to do my previous neat things

and here I am again, being very dysfunctional socially and able to type all of this out based on exactly 2 days of research and a number of years of experience - yay rote memory

I don't know anything about actual quantum physics

however it occurred to me that in a fractal universe or universe with fractal patterns existent there might be some literal physical co-incident effects - not only is the same pattern around throughout but some of them might be recognizable and at a scale that is reasonably foreseeable - the fall of empire in history or something is a simple example

for instance, if I drop a rock, chances are the same rough pattern of events will occur as if I drop a similar rock in a similar manner in a similar location with a similar environment

after enough data, patterns emerge

I've had 3 dreams of basically future events in my personal history - from my own viewpoint and I'm rather an intuitive individual

I also have been known to come up with ideas on certain areas of interest that gaming companies have used - the ideas were for the gaming companies' (sometimes it took a few years, sometimes a few months for them to catch up and they usually did it slightly differently)

note that this is not 100% accuracy, but I would say that a continual pattern of near-misses... based on lots of data being fed into my mind and me just processing it subconsciously....

is me getting lots of data and processing it and looking for patterns sub-consciously.
the very thing I attribute to the 3 precognitive dreams

now, back to fractals, is it not possible that some sort of oh I don't know, in-tune/synchronized guesswork can sometimes occur by chance, and that this chance is increased the better one is at recognizing patterns? - very low chance overall regardless

the way that if you do lottery, the more numbers or combinations you guess, the more likely a portion of your guess will synchronize with a portion of the numbers that are actually drawn?

same deal. except there's nothing to arbitrarily limit our scope and scale and purview as much as in one of those lottery games

:) in a deterministic universe, it's only luck or chance to a subjective observer

tarot cards remind me of tropes or stereotypes, except a little less specific in some regards, so that if you want to "read" a situation, well, it's like doing literal fuzzy math, or math, when trying to keep to whole numbers but you can't help but have to use numbers like 4.3, 7.6 and so on

4.3 + 7.6... round down, 4, round up, 8... 11.9 versus 12

some version of that using stereotypes and trying to create a cause-effect chain into perspective that seems to match up the known data from a real event/possibility/situation

cold reading also probably relies on skills that autistics kind of... well by definition have to use to be social - making it a 2nd nature autistic thing

in this way, I describe "magical/psychic" phenomenon, in a way that I feel remains more or less in line with a deterministic universe and uses nothing magical per se, it can be a bit of a stretch and I'm not claiming scientific rigour here, and I'm not advocating cosmic crystal religion or anything

the first dream bothered me, the 2nd dream convinced me it was a little more than just a one time fluke (maybe a 2 time fluke? or not a fluke entirely) and so on, I was looking for answers and I happen to reject what I consider a waste of time - magical explanations

a mechanistic scientific viewpoint of mine emerged, and I will maintain that quantum mechanics is only probabilistic and/or random and/or something or other, because we don't know the underlying causes, and that there is a determinist/unknowable-ist step by step trade-off where one takes the lead off the other's foundation and then vice versa and they play off each other

the synthesis of this belief comes when one says "the universe is deterministic and fixed but we're subjective so we'll never be able to know it all and thus, we'll always see bits that don't add up to our view"

but this means that sometimes.... sometimes we'll be in the zone, we'll just be getting it right, etc etc etc...

I'm thinking sleeping counts as a more internalized ---> broad-view assessment of all knowledge currently existing as much as possible or something like that - but that's just a guess that I can't support

when I was at a young age, I was spinning with something tied to a string, I had a flash in my head, a circle appeared, with a line from the center straight to the top of the circle, then a line went from that (tangent to the circle) to as far to the left as the circle did

then I imagined picking up a metal corner bracket shaped thing, and rotating it 90 degrees counter-clockwise

I then realized that if I went <--- then V that I'd end up at the same place as if I spun my little thing on a string

and it struck me also that the first L shaped line was the pull on the thing at that very moment

then I imagined a dot between the start and end point . . .

then I imagined . . . . . .

then I realized that you could do this forever and it'd just get more.... and then my brain just crashed.

at some later date around grade 6-8 I had this idea that the rate that numbers increase should also be able to increase, and looked at the patterns but couldn't find it

in grade 8 a word calculus was dropped and I didn't take much interest in this

in grade 12 I got introduced to it as a math course

I hate the normal math system.

as a young child I discovered the underlying principle of calculus, and grade 10 physics force vectors. I was younger than 10, when I was older than 10 by a bit I realized that numerically there was some sort of "increasing rate of increase" that was potentially findable... I had no idea how to convey this to other people

I failed math 12, long division was a pain... I also figured out some pythagorean stuff involving grade 8 geometry

noobler

08 Nov 2012, 4:39 am

note that I did not mean consciously to get 4.3 and 7.9 to add up to near 12...

either that was a fluke or my brain was doing it without me cognitively realizing it

one of the things that I've found people who are likely autistic or are definitely autistic do well is "not think" and "embody the doing of stuff" - they zone out and things get done, there is a thread somewhere on this site about going into trances and other people have mentioned this, I have gone into "the zone" as it were myself, so I recognize this very real possibility

sometimes it even feels like my brain is looking out for me in ways that I don't understand, as if my brain is my guardian angel... I grew up amongst some religious people, and the concept kind of hit a nerve but I didn't believe in angels and still don't, rather I noticed that I had made simulacra of 2 different core personalities of a general sense as a child - on purpose mind you... it took a while to form them

and furthermore I wore persona masks that were sort of like "surface level automatic behaviours that can be switched about while core personality remains the same" I nicknamed this core personality "the nexus" that's the core of my mind, always the same, able to go to all - personality like soundwave from transformer generation 1 lol

oh, and the zero system from gundam wing pretty much sums up something that I found very... familiar in concept to my own way of thinking about things

anyways, if I can simulate other entities inside my head... on purpose, not quite on a whim but still at will (that's a turn of phrase right there)

then I think it's possible for my subconscious to finally accept the idea that I want to experience being a regular person and to throw a wall up in my head... so that I mostly remember who I am but not entirely, certain key factors are downplayed...

and I become a different person who's a little socially inept and very intellectually idiotic

I got the idea partly from fiction I think, but mostly from my own cognitive exploration of my head

only recently after I looked at how other autistics behave did the wall start breaking down and I start regaining this ability to really.... *really* look into stuff properly again

if the excerpts from oliver sacks are to be believed, then some of those autistic gifts can be "cured" right outta you... people can go into denial, fugue amnesia can exist at a certain level, and so on so on... dissociative identity disorder shares some of these aspects too

I won't lie and say I wasn't pretty stressed out due to a number of things, and these mostly occur under stressful conditions

soooooooo, yeah. really it mostly took having a very bad time trying to find out where I'd be living before I pulled a "metal gear solid 2/4 ocelot cat plays the snake" deal, but there you go

note that I had pulled this off by about 2005, and had never played anything more than up to the tank of MGS1 by that time

in 2003 I also predicted stuff like SOPA (I calmed down eventually by telling myself I'd worry when it actually seemed like they might start trying to pull it off, I've never been a fan of people spying on me) and an "in general at home but not bombs thing" happening to america as a result of the middle eastern stuff around 2010-2015 - but that europe wouldn't allow a full collapse and act as a bit of an absorber for the first big one - then thought of how safety nets bounce up and down wildly after catching stuff (but will it break suddenly? came up in my mind too)

I should've listened to my brain when it flashed 7-8 as a possibility but instead I choose the simple numbers.... great. this prediction was possible due to a long history of studying social stuff by that time

note that those were rough predictions and a bit fluffy as you can tell and even though I had an inkling possibility of getting it fairly on, I chose not to

it's all very odd, and these coincidences have forced me to find something that involves both my adherence to determinism and lack of belief in magical things, and my uncanny experiences

recently I also managed to scream myself blue online about how libya should only have an air campaign with no soldiers, not very impressive since kosovo exists and iraq... exists too, but that's an example of a minor success - I made a long prediction about how the USA will invade iran using anti pirate veteran ships coming through the suez canal or whatever (to counter motor torpedo boat tactics from iranian navy) but that hasn't happened yet and I didn't realize iran would be down and out economically (oops)

and if anyone wants to say the ultimate test of whether capabilities exist or not is if you can sell it

"yeah okay bud, go tell that to the twins oliver sacks talked to who saw 111'ness" - go read his exerpts on it, tell me this logic is valid when you can see an anvil the size of a house 1 second from hitting you - and others can't because they're just flat blind

same deal.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 6:41 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
I've been aiming to asked this for a while and kept forgetting it. Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone? We who are on the Autism Spectrum have many skills and talents and I was just curious about this talent.

I read somewhere once that we only use about 10% of our brains and that we all have the same potential abilities.

I have had many experiences where I knew the phone was going to ring and who it was who was calling and it happened. I once had a vision whilst I was daydreaming, about someone in another country I knew, doing something specific and when I next spoke to them and explained the vision, and what date and time I had it, they told me they had been doing what I said at that time. I also once had a very bad feeling driving into the countryside with an ex, that we had to return to town immediately. As soon as we returned, the whole clutch failed on the car, and had we not returned when I said we would have been stranded in the countryside miles from anywhere.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:31 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
I've been aiming to asked this for a while and kept forgetting it. Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone? We who are on the Autism Spectrum have many skills and talents and I was just curious about this talent.

I read somewhere once that we only use about 10% of our brains and that we all have the same potential abilities.

If that was true it would be much easier to survive being shot-in-the-head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_brain_myth

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:50 am

...well, myth or not, considering the capacity the brain has for lifelong learning and storage/recall of information, who is to know for sure what the unused amount is?

I mean, there can't be a limit to learning, your brain can't surely just shut off when it's "full", so perhaps there is truth in it, but it's as yet unproved/unprovable.

Anyway, it's irrespective of the OPs question about psychic abilities.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2012, 8:06 am

I have enough psychic power to tell that with this condition my future is not that bright.. :(