Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

I've been aiming to asked this for a while and kept forgetting it. Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone? We who are on the Autism Spectrum have many skills and talents and I was just curious about this talent.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Since there is no known physical mechanism which could convey such information to a receptive psychic, and no scientific proof of psychic phenomena, it is premature to ask if a phenomenon unknown to exist is found among autistics.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:47 pm

I have had a few deja vu moments.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:29 pm

I predict Fnord will be showing up in this thread to give his opinions on "psychics."

Let's see if I'm psychic......

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I predict Fnord will be showing up in this thread to give his opinions on "psychics."

Let's see if I'm psychic......

:lol:

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone?

There's probably people on the autism spectrum that are "scam artists" like all psychics. :roll:

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:55 pm

Venger wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone?

There's probably people on the autism spectrum that are "scam artists" like all psychics. :roll:

I agree. And that is why I have no use for psychics. But, I think maybe there are maybe a handful of people who are gifted with the ability to see futures, especially prophetic type futures.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

I have heard that due to synesthesia some autistics see auras of color around people. But synesthesia is just an association the brain makes, the people aren't actually blue, pink etc. Here's the study: Is this Proof that Spooky Auras are Real?

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

I become uneasy when:
- I know there are details being willfully withheld
- a sequence of events is leading toward a negative event

I also get feelings from the fabric of man-made (and some natural) environments, but there is too much data that isn't clear enough to get anything useful out of it.

So what about clairvoyance and ESP? Are these on the psychic spectrum or just brain processes that we can't fully control?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 4:12 pm

Well I don't really like the term psychic, since it seems to kinda be something people laugh at......I mean I guess that has a lot to do with popular media painting it as something totally ridiculous. However I've always had some more or less unusual sorts of abilities, and in fact for quite some time I guess I kinda forgot or was maybe attributing it to things being 'wrong' with me......but maybe that's the depression making me feel like the 'abilities' are signs of losing my mind. Also from a psychiatric perspective if I was to tell the professionals about that side of me they'd probably think I'm insane because I have had some very unusual experiences but I am not the only one in my family.

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

Venger wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:

Issit
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2012, 6:02 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
I've been aiming to asked this for a while and kept forgetting it. Does anyone on the Autism Spectrum have the gift of being able to see the future or answer a psychic question from someone? We who are on the Autism Spectrum have many skills and talents and I was just curious about this talent.

Of course some do, but will they talk about it openly? :wink:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 6:25 pm

I've wondered stuff like this too. While I tend to be logical and scientific, I'm also NOT the skeptical type..... I dont need something to paint itself purple, jump up and down in front of me and violently explode for me to acknowledge that it may exist, as most people seem to require.

In my case, I'm good at predicting. Really, really good. But this is a short-term thing (Like, within a couple of minutes, as opposed to, say, trying to predict something that'll happen next week). I can often tell when something is ABOUT to happen, and as a rule, I'm not wrong. Cant do it on command, though. It just happens (but it happens REALLY OFTEN). I put it to my advantage when gaming alot; it's easy to beat an opponent when I know what they're gonna do next most of the time.

IS this some sort of psychic mumbo-jumbo? Or could it perhaps be some form of advanced extrapolation that I'm not aware of doing based on data that I'm absorbing?

.....heck if I know.

Do I even CARE what it is?

.....not really. As a rule, I normally never speak of it to anyone (as if I'd even care wether anyone believed me or not), lest they think I'm loopier than they already believe me to be, and I tend to just sorta roll with things like this (as in, just let it happen, rather than spending time trying to figure out how it works). Mostly though, I really dont care all that much. Regardless of wether psychic stuff is real or not, I tend to actually not find it all that interesting. And people can get so damn WEIRD about it, too.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

I read cards for people. Crystal ball, palms. I sell spells and candles too. I'm the Hoodoo woman in this town. My grandmother did it, and I was around it growing up and I learned it that way. It's really not a big deal, anybody can do it, but most don't want to believe they can do it so they pay somebody else to do it for them.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Should be the same rate as the NT population, actually. Probably best not to use the term "psychic" however, given the millions of scams that are perpetrated under that word over the centuries, and throughout the world.
I have had a couple of experiences, one where I knew when my GFs mom died, at the very moment. By feeling what she felt. If that is an ability, its not one I would want to keep.
BTW, given all the weirdness we have found in Quantum theory & experiments, it would be best not to also ascribe the label "impossible" to these things. If you alter a particle simply by observing it, things are by no means simple!

Sincerely,
Matthew

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 7:00 pm

Matt62 wrote:
Should be the same rate as the NT population, actually. Probably best not to use the term "psychic" however, given the millions of scams that are perpetrated under that word over the centuries, and throughout the world.
I have had a couple of experiences, one where I knew when my GFs mom died, at the very moment. By feeling what she felt. If that is an ability, its not one I would want to keep.
BTW, given all the weirdness we have found in Quantum theory & experiments, it would be best not to also ascribe the label "impossible" to these things. If you alter a particle simply by observing it, things are by no means simple!

Sincerely,
Matthew

My thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I tend to not be the skeptical type is because of spending so much time looking into the absolute nonsensical insanity that is quantum stuffs. So freaking wierd. And awesome. But still wierd.