I can't do... dating websites...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

For me... it's just, I'd be upfront and honest. That and it's easy to just grab any picture online and say that's you.
I dunno... for me it's too much of a risk even if there are some women who are looking for the right kind of person, there are also people who aren't really bothered and just want to mess you up in the head.
Partly down to my semi-gullable ways...
So for me, I'd be far too... much of an easy target to fool.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

I have barely any trust in my family, let alone to put myself out there and put trust in complete strangers. I'm sure there are genuine people who are upfront and honest about that kinda junk, but I'm not willing to test that.

BigBossMSF
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2012, 8:41 pm

PastFixations wrote:
For me... it's just, I'd be upfront and honest. That and it's easy to just grab any picture online and say that's you.
I dunno... for me it's too much of a risk even if there are some women who are looking for the right kind of person, there are also people who aren't really bothered and just want to mess you up in the head.

Then ask for proof? It's not that hard, and there's plenty of ways to get proof.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

I got an Idea? Why don't we have a dating site that requires sending a fingerprint and state ID #? and if they don't have either of those two things, no account for you sorry. :P
maybe then I would date online. for now I'm huntin' the old fashioned way....even though it's a toiling process....

MBTI- ISTP

BigBossMSF
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

NorthPark wrote:
I got an Idea? Why don't we have a dating site that requires sending a fingerprint and state ID #? and if they don't have either of those two things, no account for you sorry. :P
maybe then I would date online. for now I'm huntin' the old fashioned way....even though it's a toiling process....

Or you could, i dunno, do skype video with them, or make them send you a pic of them holding up a sign with their username on it? And stop being so neurotic.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 11:34 pm

I don't see that there's that much of a risk, if you meet up in a busy, public place (assuming you want to meet them eventually? Ignore this is you mean online relationships without meeting). If they show up and aren't who they said they were...well...cancel the date. It has never happened to me and I've met stacks of people off the web.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:39 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
I don't see that there's that much of a risk, if you meet up in a busy, public place (assuming you want to meet them eventually? Ignore this is you mean online relationships without meeting). If they show up and aren't who they said they were...well...cancel the date. It has never happened to me and I've met stacks of people off the web.

Fact: On dating sites, the are far FAR faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more fake female profiles than fake male profiles for many reasons, one is because some dating sites do create their own fake female profiles in order to make their website looks gender-balanced while it's not (and lure male users to pay for their services), there's no need to create fake male profiles since there are plenty of real ones. Two is because most prankers/trolls on the net are males.

The chrome's plugins of tinyEye and Google-image-by-url have helped to catch dozens of fake women's profiles (yes, even on okcupid).

To all users, when it comes to dating sites, it's inevitable to take the asker's gender into consideration.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:57 am

PastFixations wrote:

1- Never trust profiles with one 1 pic of a very hot woman.
2- Always check their pics with tinyeye or Search by image (easier on chrome as plugins)
3- I personally always ask to reveal themselves on cam before dating them but that won't work if you are a regular non-hot guy (I know that because i was a fugly geeky-looking one).

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2012, 2:01 am

http://www.google.com/imghp Use this link - click on the little box on the right. Then you can upload any pic and it will search the internet and tell you if it is on there. That will help you to find out if someone is a fake or not. However I don't think it searches social networking sites.

Edit - didn't see that someone already mentioned the site I did. Oh well lol.

Last edited by zxy8 on 03 Sep 2012, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Fact: On dating sites, the are far FAR faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more fake female profiles than fake male profiles for many reasons, one is because some dating sites do create their own fake female profiles in order to make their website looks gender-balanced while it's not (and lure male users to pay for their services), there's no need to create fake male profiles since there are plenty of real ones. Two is because most prankers/trolls on the net are males.

The chrome's plugins of tinyEye and Google-image-by-url have helped to catch dozens of fake women's profiles (yes, even on okcupid).

To all users, when it comes to dating sites, it's inevitable to take the asker's gender into consideration.

I date females too. I've not met a fake female either.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:23 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

You never meet fakes, they just fool you.

I think they only target straight males.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:48 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Actually, granted, most of the gay/bi females on certain dating websites are either very "strange" or not what they may at first seem. Good filtering skills is definitely a must. Some of the advice you have given is good, e.g. searching for their pic and avoiding profiles with just one photo, of a too-hot-to-be-true pic.

What do you mean by "you never meet fakes"? If you never actually meet up with them, then I don't see the problem, other than the embarrassment of being fooled. Don't do any kinky stuff online before you meet, and it shouldn't be too embarrassing.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:52 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Actually, granted, most of the gay/bi females on certain dating websites are either very "strange" or not what they may at first seem. Good filtering skills is definitely a must. Some of the advice you have given is good, e.g. searching for their pic and avoiding profiles with just one photo, of a too-hot-to-be-true pic.

What do you mean by "you never meet fakes"? If you never actually meet up with them, then I don't see the problem, other than the embarrassment of being fooled. Don't do any kinky stuff online before you meet, and it shouldn't be too embarrassing.

Fakes don't show up, they aren't real.

The problem is the loss of time, straight males on dating sites don't usually have the luxury of having plenty of potentials.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:04 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

The problem is the loss of time, straight males on dating sites don't usually have the luxury of having plenty of potentials.

Better to lose a bit of time talking to fake people on the internet, when there's a chance they could have been genuine, than to lose time twiddling your thumbs because you don't want to give it a go, I reckon. If you would otherwise be out in the real world mingling, then sure, don't bother with dating websites.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Better to lose a bit of time talking to fake people on the internet, when there's a chance they could have been genuine, than to lose time twiddling your thumbs because you don't want to give it a go, I reckon. If you would otherwise be out in the real world mingling, then sure, don't bother with dating websites.

I'm not mingling in the real world... though still have issues.
Such as being taken advantage of by a sex offender who was acting as the person on the web. I know it is somewhat unlikely but that is how I analyse the encounter and wanting to be safe. That is why I would like to as I would not have the fear if it was not for those instances.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

I never did a dating website in my whole life.
And never will.

I met an aspie girl on another site and we did not know we were both 'afflicted'.

We got on ok, but it did not work out.

I would never use a website to find a prospective partner.
But good luck to those that do.

It's just not for some people.

Then again, it might work for you.