Alex Plank--What the @#$% is this crap?

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 537

07 Sep 2012, 1:17 am

Seriously. On the Shameful website:

Quote:
"1 in 54 boys have a diagnosis here in the United States. Children who receive the diagnosis are given intensive education at an early age in order to gain skills required to succeed. In France, Autism is viewed as a psychosis and no help is given. In fact, if a child does get a diagnosis, he risks being thrown out of school."


"1 in 54 boys..."

"if a child does get a diagnosis, he ...."

Why the f**k would you even entertain such a sexist and biased portrayal autism? You of anyone here should know what we women and girls with autism deal with, how we are overlooked for treatment and for diagnoses and early intervention, how we get excluded from media reports and stats released to the public, that even research is so biased as to exclude any female participants from studies on a regular basis--something that greatly undermines the scientific accuracy and reliability of such studies.

You should know how language about autism is loaded with the false presumption that the default autistic is male and how such gendered language erases female, trans and queer autistics from the public consciousness (and I can vouch for that, because I have had that "You're autistic? Oh I just didn't think...cos you're a woman..." conversation more times that I can recount).

You should know that we female, trans and queer autistics have to fight just to be seen, by the public, by autism charities, by researchers (and apparently by you--hello!).

You should know that autistic themselves don't always fall into the either/or categories of the conventional gender binary and so saying X number of boys are autistic means jack s**t because it is forcing gender distinctions onto a group of people who, by definition of being autistic, often do not fit such neurotypical conventions.

And finally, and more importantly, you should know that singling out male autistics and ignoring female and non-gender conforming autistics reinforces that very harmful "boys are more valuable" bias that directly contributes to the social obstacles that female, trans and queer autistics face when seeking a proper dx and finding the support and understanding that is more readily available to their "more valued" cis male counterparts.

This kind of blatant sexism and bias is unacceptable, offensive and yes, shameful--especially from someone who thought he needed to go and make a film to criticize other people for their biases about autism.

We absolutely need to stop referencing gender whenever we talk about autism. Autism is not a gender-based condition, yet far too much of the language used to talk about autism suggests that it is. We should be more enlightened than this. There is just no excuse for falling to the trappings of conventional (neurotypical) sexism and gender bias and for not using gender-neutral data and language when talking about autistics. If you dare go around speaking on behalf of autistics, you MUST speak for ALL autistics, not just boys and men while treating the rest of us like we're invisible or not worth the effort to include in the discussion.



Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 981
Location: Hamburg, Germany

07 Sep 2012, 1:42 am

Uh.. you might be overreacting there.. and I'm a woman...



zena4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,054

07 Sep 2012, 1:45 am

She rocks 8)



lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 651
Location: United States

07 Sep 2012, 2:00 am

The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.


_________________
?Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.? _Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)


slasher666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 53
Location: Pickering, ON

07 Sep 2012, 2:09 am

Mercurial wrote:
Seriously. On the Shameful website:

Quote:
"1 in 54 boys have a diagnosis here in the United States. Children who receive the diagnosis are given intensive education at an early age in order to gain skills required to succeed. In France, Autism is viewed as a psychosis and no help is given. In fact, if a child does get a diagnosis, he risks being thrown out of school."


"1 in 54 boys..."

"if a child does get a diagnosis, he ...."

Why the f**k would you even entertain such a sexist and biased portrayal autism? You of anyone here should know what we women and girls with autism deal with, how we are overlooked for treatment and for diagnoses and early intervention, how we get excluded from media reports and stats released to the public, that even research is so biased as to exclude any female participants from studies on a regular basis--something that greatly undermines the scientific accuracy and reliability of such studies.

You should know how language about autism is loaded with the false presumption that the default autistic is male and how such gendered language erases female, trans and queer autistics from the public consciousness (and I can vouch for that, because I have had that "You're autistic? Oh I just didn't think...cos you're a woman..." conversation more times that I can recount).

You should know that we female, trans and queer autistics have to fight just to be seen, by the public, by autism charities, by researchers (and apparently by you--hello!).

You should know that autistic themselves don't always fall into the either/or categories of the conventional gender binary and so saying X number of boys are autistic means jack sh** because it is forcing gender distinctions onto a group of people who, by definition of being autistic, often do not fit such neurotypical conventions.

And finally, and more importantly, you should know that singling out male autistics and ignoring female and non-gender conforming autistics reinforces that very harmful "boys are more valuable" bias that directly contributes to the social obstacles that female, trans and queer autistics face when seeking a proper dx and finding the support and understanding that is more readily available to their "more valued" cis male counterparts.

This kind of blatant sexism and bias is unacceptable, offensive and yes, shameful--especially from someone who thought he needed to go and make a film to criticize other people for their biases about autism.

We absolutely need to stop referencing gender whenever we talk about autism. Autism is not a gender-based condition, yet far too much of the language used to talk about autism suggests that it is. We should be more enlightened than this. There is just no excuse for falling to the trappings of conventional (neurotypical) sexism and gender bias and for not using gender-neutral data and language when talking about autistics. If you dare go around speaking on behalf of autistics, you MUST speak for ALL autistics, not just boys and men while treating the rest of us like we're invisible or not worth the effort to include in the discussion.


I believe you're seriously overreacting to the wording of Alex's statement. Obviously "he" implies both male and female in this context but is shorter to say than "he/she" or even just "she". Also, there are many girls and women with autism, but for some reason, there are about 4 times as many autistic boys and men as there are autistic girls and women. Scientists have yet to find out why this is, but it is true and it's not sexist, it's just a fact. It is estimated that 1 in 88 people is autistic, but for boys alone the figure is 1 in 54. I have never heard what the figure for girls is, but it is probably much lower than 1 in 88 because most autistic people are male.

I hate to quote Rush Limbaugh, but you seem like what he would call a "feminazi". Of all the serious issues surrounding women's rights in the world, this is a rather petty one. Also, I think it's sexist against men that all inanimate objects are referred to as "she" or "her", but I know it's not that big a deal and also, inanimate objects should just be referred to as "it" because they're neither male nor female.



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

07 Sep 2012, 3:58 am

So it's now known that Alex Plank is secretly a chauvinist and listens to Rush Limbaugh while laughing maniacally everyday.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,381
Location: Maidstone, UK

07 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

''He'' is a quicker way of keep writing ''he/she''. Sometimes doctors call unborn babies ''he'', even if they don't know if it's a boy or a girl.


_________________
Female
Aged 30
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 150
Location: The sand above your head / Midwest US

07 Sep 2012, 6:47 am

Does it not mention the number of girls that are diagnosed?
It does kind of mislead an uninformed person to think that it's non-existent or so rare in girls that it's not worth mentioning.
I can understand why that could be really upsetting to see.
But, I don't think he's the devil for it.



Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 981
Location: Hamburg, Germany

07 Sep 2012, 6:50 am

Well I can agree on the point that AS is overlooked in women too often. Of course it would have been better to write "children" instead of "boys". But yeah, it's not such a big deal. It's just like when people automatically talk about you as "he" when you post something in a forum, and that even happened to me on wrongplanet a few times - but I actually tend to do that myself, because - let's face it - most people on the internet are still men.



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

07 Sep 2012, 7:38 am

all the austism talk tv girlz have a ton of badly applied lipstick



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

07 Sep 2012, 7:41 am

lyricalillusions wrote:
The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.


YOU OPPRESSOR OF THE TRANSVESTITE/TRANSEXUAL/GENDERQUEER/BLAH BLAH BLAH FISHCAKES MOVEMENTS! YOU SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY ASHAMED OF YOURSELF YOU CHAVINISTICIST!! !! !! !

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF DEFENDERS OF MISOGYNY AND THE IMPLICIT RULE OF MEN!! !!

(goes away to howl at the moon)

Spot on though, by the way. There really isn't an easy way to merge he and she properly in English. The attempts at trying seem contrived and ridiculous.



Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Aug 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 254

07 Sep 2012, 7:48 am

Tequila wrote:
lyricalillusions wrote:
The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.


YOU OPPRESSOR OF THE TRANSVESTITE/TRANSEXUAL/GENDERQUEER/BLAH BLAH BLAH FISHCAKES MOVEMENTS! YOU SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY ASHAMED OF YOURSELF YOU CHAVINISTICIST!! !! !! !

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF DEFENDERS OF MISOGYNY AND THE IMPLICIT RULE OF MEN!! !!

(goes away to howl at the moon)

Spot on though, by the way. There really isn't an easy way to merge he and she properly in English. The attempts at trying seem contrived and ridiculous.


Sure there is. They.
1 in 54 children have a diagnosis here in the United States. Children who receive the diagnosis are given intensive education at an early age in order to gain skills required to succeed. In France, Autism is viewed as a psychosis and no help is given. In fact, if a child does get a diagnosis, they risk being thrown out of school."

Though shouldn't you be more outraged about the children getting thrown out of school?



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,734
Location: USA

07 Sep 2012, 8:05 am

The statistic is for boys specifically, not children. For whatever reason the male statistic is higher and thus looks better when used to argue how common it is. "He" can be used as a gender neutral pronoun when referring to someone of unknown gender, it's not implying anything. It's not something to get your panties twisted over


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,258

07 Sep 2012, 8:23 am

lyricalillusions wrote:
The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.


It is rarely used that way today. It has been controversial, and rightly so, since long before I was born.

I know, I know, we all want to be seen as cool, laid-back women and not shrill feminists (four letter word, right?) who get mad about everything. Whatever. I hate this type of language and I've hated it since I was a small child, and in this context, where we're already overlooked and pushed aside so much, it's worse than usual.

OP is right, but I'm sure we're going to see a flurry of defensive posts because, "omigod, someone called something I consider perfectly fine ______ist, they are calling me ____ist! To battle!"



Last edited by Nonperson on 07 Sep 2012, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,258

07 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

Ganondox wrote:
The statistic is for boys specifically, not children. For whatever reason the male statistic is higher and thus looks better when used to argue how common it is. "He" can be used as a gender neutral pronoun when referring to someone of unknown gender, it's not implying anything.


Oh, so let's talk as though only boys have autism -already a common misconception- so we can make it sound more common. Yeah, that's just fine. :roll:

Quote:
It's not something to get your panties twisted over

Well, that's not sexist at all...



MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,617

07 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

Nonperson wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
The statistic is for boys specifically, not children. For whatever reason the male statistic is higher and thus looks better when used to argue how common it is. "He" can be used as a gender neutral pronoun when referring to someone of unknown gender, it's not implying anything.


Oh, so let's talk as though only boys have autism -already a common misconception- so we can make it sound more common. Yeah, that's just fine. :roll:

Quote:
It's not something to get your panties twisted over

Well, that's not sexist at all...


seconded