Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 1:27 am

So, I'm taking classical Latin. The problem is that I absolutely HATE grammar. I got by with this in English because I had the good sense to be born to people with an excellent command of the language. Hence, I was able to master English (well enough) by osmosis.

The thing is, unless I can get myself adopted-out to some native ancient Latin speakers, this time I'm gonna hafta learn grammar rules/terms. :cry:

I need some good resources for Latin grammar that don't assume you already know formal English grammar.

Any suggestions?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 7:29 am

Most of my classmates in Latin were learning formal grammar for the first time from taking the class. English grammar is different and won't especially help you (we don't use the ablative, genitive, etc. in English and the subjunctive has all but died out, for example.) Unfortunately you'll just have to knuckle down and memorize it. :(

rinrao
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

also taking Latin this semester and the above couldn't be more true: you'll have to memorize and practice, practice, practice.

rewrite verbs and nouns with the conjugations and declensions

try your hand at reading and translating

if you get stuck, google the phrase and see what comes up. and if all else fails.. ask your professor for help! try to understand the very basics of english grammar i.e. what is a personal pronoun, you'll feel a lot better being able to recognize what all these terms mean

good luck!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 12:05 am

Yeah... translating from latin is not so bad. I can recognize stems and get most of the rest from context.

We're just starting 3rd declension and genitive case stuff... seems like half the class has dropped.

I'm gonna tough it out. Despite the grammar being a pain in the ass, the class is fun and I REALLY want to be able to read primary sources in the original language.

I have read enough different translations of the same text to see how much the translator can adulterate the work....

When I read Caesar and Seneca I want to read Caesar and Seneca..... but that might take a while. :lol: