How To Approach Someone I Have Not Seen In Awhile

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AudaciousLarue
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2012, 4:40 pm

I knew this person I had in several courses that I tried to be friends with but rarely got the chance to talk to them.

I have passed them in the hall several times and each time feel like walking up and saying hi.

How should I go about this?

Would it be fine to walk up and say something along the lines of "hey, remember me? I'm so-and-so."

I don't want to freeze up and say nothing or a few words and simply leave (giving off a bad impression). But I badly want to get a friendship going with this person if possible.

Advice?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

How big have your courses been? Depending on how big they are, there's a chance this person might not remember you. If they're small enough for them to recognize you, you can introduce yourself and say that you've seen them around in some of your classes. Ask how they found the classes and talk about the teachers, marks you got, tests, etc, since that's what both of you have in common.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

Hi, if you are like me, you might have a much better memory than average. And because of this, I can come on too strong or give someone a data dump.

Maybe just keep it nice and simple, something like,

'Hi, weren't we in a class together?'

[and if the person pauses or give a look like they want you to continue, then maybe]

'Wasn't it accounting with . . . Williams was the professor?'

And they need to do their part, too. They need to reciprocate.

AudaciousLarue
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. :D

If they don't seem interested in talking, or if they don't recognize me (as in they forgot who I was), would it be socially acceptable to simply leave the conversation?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

You're welcome. :D

Now they might seem interested even if they don't remember.

But if they don't seem interested, then it kind if falls to you to exercise low-key, matter-of-fact leadership, perhaps something like,

'Well, alright, see you around.'

(and important to be brief)