Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

Rats! pipped at the post on ebay, woke up at 4.30 to place a final bid and didn't win the piece.

EBay Item Link

Contacted the Razor Emporium to organise a rhodium plated E4 Fat Boy

You are very likely an Aspie

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 1:34 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I'm still using Schick Hydro 5 lol. But have been curious about double edged shavers for quite a while.

I presume you just refill them with those double edged blades I see in the store or pharmacy? It's always seemed peculiar to me that they sell the blades but not the shaver to use them.

correct. Those are the blades you use. And yeah, I never understood that either, but I guess they still sell pretty well among old people and those looking to save money, so tehy still sell the blades, but the razors themselves last like forever. There are ebay auctions for old gillette super speeds from like 1940 and some even older, so they last. They probably figure there's more of a market for the blades than the razors. Plus, gillette makes a lot more money selling those stupid mach 3 and fusion cartridges, I'm sure. So they don't make the double edge razors anymore, at least not that I'm aware of.

This right here is exactly what I got, along with some astra blades(Dorcos will rip your face apart, don't use them). I got the astras based on 1000knives's recommendation, and I decided to try a few other brands to see what I liked best. But anyway, here's what I got: http://www.qedusa.com/weishi-weishi-930 ... p-232.html
I got the gold one, and I LOVE it.

That little case is actually very nice. You can fit at least two packs of blades in there(and you can cram more than 5 blades into the little plastic blade "holder" that comes with it. The cleaning brush is pretty useless, but it's a great little kit. The ONLY downside to double edge shaving is that it's easier to cut yourself, and specific technique is more important. My girlfriend can take a gillette venus(just a mach3 with extra plastic BS and possibly some "moisturizing strip" or whatever on it. It will fit in a mach3, and a mach3 blade will fit in a venus) and just run it over her armpit like she's shredding carrots with a damn cheese grater and not cut herself. Try that with a double edge razor, and you'll be cut all to hell.

Edit: I don't know if 1000knives posted this here, as I didn't read the entire thread, but there's also this etsy shop that sells vintage double edge razors: http://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageRazorShop?ref=top_trail

The only reason I didn't get one is I was really attached to the gold, and I would rather have bought something new. That, and I liked the little case with the mirror and room for blades and everything. It's really not necessary, but I find it's convenient.

Of course, before I went searching online for any of this stuff, I asked my parents if I could have(or buy, I offered to pay them) at least one of their old razors(they own identical gillette super speeds, which is what the weishi is an exact copy of as far as I can tell), and they absolutely refused. My mom uses hers to shave her legs, and her leg hair doesn't really grow much anymore anyway, and my dad has literally shaved ONCE in my entire life, about 15 years ago. The rest of the time, he's had a full beard, but they just wouldn't part with either of them.