NTs finding double meaning when there is none.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

Lately, I've been noticing the strong nt's have a lot of difficulties taking things literally, but instead find double meaning when there is none. I say this because it is quite frustrating if an idea is misinterpreted due to not being on the same page. My boyfriend is not on the spectrum, though things he says do make me wonder if he does understand how some of things he says do come across. While at work he told a pharmacist, who was training him, that he didn't want to be just a pharmacist, but a general manager of pharmacy. This came across as an insult, though I think he meant it more literally than what she assumed ("just a pharmacist" isn't that special). To him, it's because he would rather manage people since he feels like he's better at that than being a hospital pharmacist. She didn't know him personally, and didn't understand that it wasn't an insult, but in actuality, a compliment to her for putting up with things he wouldn't want to do. I think a better example is when we went to a restaurant and he wanted to order "white" soda, and didn't realize we were in an area of chicago where it would be misinterpreted. He has an allergic-type reaction to caffeine and in turn chooses decaffeinated drinks. Unfortunately, his intention was innocent, though it sounded racist. It does show how important communication really is, and how fragile it is depending on the words used and in what context.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:45 pm

There's no such thing as "white" soda, at least, not that I've ever heard of. There is no way to interpret that literally.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 8:22 am

Agreed, "white" soda would be confusing no matter where it was said. Sprite and the like are "clear", not white.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Agreed, "white" soda would be confusing no matter where it was said. Sprite and the like are "clear", not white.

We often call clear lemonade "white lemonade", even though it's not actually white as, in Ireland especially, there is red lemonade and brown lemonade as well as that green lemonade.

Some people are looking to be offended and need to get over themselves.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:

It must be a culture thing as I have heard it before. I meant he literally wanted the soda and there was no double meaning behind it, though I can see how it can be interpreted differently, especially since I did point out the color of the soda.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

We often call clear lemonade "white lemonade", even though it's not actually white as, in Ireland especially, there is red lemonade and brown lemonade as well as that green lemonade.

Some people are looking to be offended and need to get over themselves.

Uh huh. I agree completely. People do need to get over themselves and realize not everything is an attack, but actually might be quite innocent.