Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 4:41 pm

Thoughts?

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

I lean against Ruby right now just because it still uses an interpreter with a GIL, which complicates design if you have a large interactive site. Multiple Ruby threads cannot execute concurrently even if you have multiple cores. This is becoming a ridiculous problem as even consumer level PCs have 16 cores. In a few years they will probably have thousands of cores. The only way to make it work is multiple processes. The team responsible for developing the MRI (the reference Ruby interpreter) considers threads to be the "Microsoft way" and refuses to fix their interpreter, which already suffers from multiple types of brain damage anyway. I am really tired of people from the Linux world being stubborn or even dogmatic about this type of s**t, and I no longer tolerate it.

I developed an app a couple years ago with an integrated capability of serving eRuby pages as its primary UI. It sufficed for such a simple purpose pretty well. I could post the C++ code, including the integrated web server it was about 1500 lines. I'm not sure what RoR has over eRuby.

I would be inclined to use straight up PHP and use HipHop to recompile the code to C++ if I were doing something larger.