Do people ask you for money extremely often?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

Family members, strangers, friends, street musicians, beggars, vendors, homeless people?

Are you seen by people as an easy target for money asking?

I'm talking about people asking you for money without giving something valuable in return what concerns material stuff but see your deed as very respectable and humble for example.

Do you give it to them easily?

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

I definitely don't hand over money so easy. I've rejected any advances for my money if I thought it wasn't going to be put to any constructive use. I sometimes give some loose change to street musicians if I quite like what they are playing, and also the homeless if they seem like decent people. Not all homeless are drunks or addicts, but some of the characters around here that ask you for money only encourage these stereotypes unfortunately.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 4:12 pm

I live in an urban area and walk to work and the store and am asked for money probably 5 times a week. When I first lived here I felt bad saying no if I actually did have change on me, but after a while it just became a reflex. I even said no to a seemingly kindly old lady who needed a dollar for the bus. I felt like such a jerk after that but one has to stick to his guns.

I am usually pretty generous with my money to friends but since I learned that my roommate (whom I thought was a friend) was a scamming, conniving jerk I have tightened the purse strings.

Note: I don't carry a purse. Actually, I don't even own a wallet.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

For some odd reason people always seem to think I carry around money just for them to utilize. Just because they ask, doesn't mean they shall receive...

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 4:40 pm

Almost like I'm carrying a sign that points to me having money. They would walk through crowds to ask me for money. As soon as they make eye contact they are on to me.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

I have no money. Really. I might have a couple of sticky, nasty pennies at the bottom of my purse, but I'm so dead broke I can't even pay attention.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm

Panhandlers seem to target me.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

14 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

No one's ever asked me for money before.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:03 pm

Albirea wrote:
No one's ever asked me for money before.

Consider yourself lucky. It gets extremely annoying when it happens on a daily basis.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm

I guess one of the few benefits of being perpetually unemployed is that everyone knows you never have any money and never ask you for any. The hookers and drug addicts on the street corners in the bad part of town still assume that I always have a quarter, though...

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

Among people I know, no the don't ask...but I get asked on the street constantly when I'm in the city.

I think I have now heard every version of the "I lost my bus ticket/wallet/phone/all of the above and I live in (city kinda far away, but not too far, and fairly easily accessible via transit), and I just need a bit of money so I an buy a bus ticket to get home" story in existence. A crazy amount of scammers out there. How do I know they're scammers? I've started recognizing most of them as repeats that have asked me before. Just this week, ran across one lady that I was pretty sure I recognized from a different part of the city a year and a half ago saying she lost her ticket. Sure enough, the next day she was in the same sport trying the same story, and that time I was certain it was the same woman.

Best was last year, a guy came up to me twice three weeks apart. The story was the exact same, word for word, both times.

I've now taken to just ignoring people and acting like I don't notice them when possible, and when that's not possible I just give them a blunt no and hurry away.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

Not directly, but there are a lot of homeless people on street corners where I live, with signs asking for money or work.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm

When I was in high school and I would go to a certain venue for concerts I would always see the same guy telling the same exact story. "Hey, man, I'm from Batavia. My car broke down and I need gas money to get back to Batavia." Same story every single time. Since then I have assumed that every person asking me for money is an addict trying to get money for crack and I'm probably right in the city where I live.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

I've had people ask me for money many times. I don't hand it over, though.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

My family know I have no money so they don't ask. Usually, but not always, strangers don't ask. Maybe I look crazy or something. I know this isn't money but last week there were some people at my college who were standing where the parking area meets the quad area. They had cases of the new testament and were aggressively offering them to everyone who walked by- you had to walk past them to get to the campus, there was no other way. So as I get closer I make eye contact with one of them and he just quickly looks away and scurries off to another spot 15 ft away so as not to come in contact with me. I thought it was really weird because I actually would have taken one. I don't think I look hideous or anything but most of the time even aggressive pan-handlers avoid me. I know some people think it's annoying to be approached for money by strangers but it's just as annoying to be avoided by them and not understand why. I'm not good enough to be hit up for spare change. WTF?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

The people who ask for money in my area aren't even homeless (fact), yet the people who are homeless pretty much stay in the shadows and don't ask for a cent.

I usually try to avoid them. Some try to engage you in conversation first before they ask the big question. Others are pretty blatant and will sit on the footpath with an open hat on the ground. One used to sit on the steps at the bottom of my workplace. We used to say "dude, somebody upstairs rang the police, quick, run!" and he used to shoot off pretty quickly :lol: