Is there a connection between AS and body oder?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

So Aspies stink?

lol

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

Occasionally skipping a day taking a shower is fine because you can still wet your hair with cold water from the sink then comb it. Brushing teeth every single day is much more important.

My daily shower is often a quick 2 minute cold rinse-off after soaking in the hot spa at my house. Not always of course though.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2012, 5:13 am

Even if you can't shower every day, brushing your teeth and using a good deodorant will do wonders. I don't smell and the times I would smell is because I sweat a lot and couldn't find a deodorant that worked. Sweating a lot for me though isn't related to my AS but my body.

If there is a correlation, it's because of habits or lack thereof (except for the disabled person above, I'm completely sorry and hope your knees can get fixed!).

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:22 am

Having OCD leaves me clean as a whistle (though I still smell of brass and taste it on the inside of my mouth, likely the result of heightened hemoglobin levels). Unfortunately, one of my friends on the spectrum isn't as vigilant in regards to hygiene and feels content with taking a shower every other day. :eew:

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2012, 8:05 am

I stink because I'm not too fond of showering. It's not the shower that bothers me but all the crap I have to do after the shower (hair, makeup) that can stop me from showering for days. Sometimes a full week :oops:

Not really into brushing my teeth unless I will be in close contact with someone, either :oops: :oops:

WontGiveUp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

Body odor may not be caused by lack of bathing/showering in people with ASD. It may be because some have digestive problems and have undigested food in their body, which, unfortunately, creates bacteria, which can cause body odor. Here is a more in depth explanation of it: http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm

Addressing the digestive issues, with things like digestive enzymes or achieving the appropriate mineral levels, should make the body odor go away, along with many other symptoms.

Of course this only applies to people with digestive issues......the rest, who may not bathe properly, we know why they have odor! :)

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food"
-Hippocrates

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

I shower every other day (that is normal where I live) and I smell fine...I hope. I've asked people if I smell and they candidly said no.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2012, 4:45 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
I take my personal hygiene very seriously but I've noticed a lot on people on these forums seem to have an aversion to bathing. Don't ask me why, I've always found showers extremely relaxing, and it feels so nice to be clean too!

I used to only do sponge baths when I was kid. I contracted scabies in the 8th grade and started showering twice a day afterwards for many years. Now, I usually only shower once a day, but like you said, they are very relaxing and I love that clean feeling,