Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

I just watched Doug Walker say that NC is over now and I gotta say I'm kinda dissapointed because he was one of the reasons I love coming on the internet all the time and there are so many movies that I would have loved him to review but not all hope is lost. First he says he and his friends are worjking on a new show that has to do with badgering movies I think so I'll keep tuned for that and see what happens and second he says that NC is not completely dead.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2012, 6:50 pm

I'm not sure why he decided to halt the NC so suddenly like this, why not just stop doing it weekly, and just do it every now and then when he feels like it?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

I can actually agree with Doug's decision. He's made 250 episodes of Nostalgia Critic, he said? That's an amazing output. I could understand if it gets a bit stale for him after four year of doing this.

Look at the Angry Video Game Nerd. He suffered a burnout last year because of the pressure of recording and uploading reviews on a regular basis. He's been focusing on putting together the AVGN movie, and has only uploaded one review this whole year. You can only run with something for so long.

What Doug has done for the past years on TGWTG.com is pretty amazing work. But there are still so many people left who were there with him from the beginning, who won't stop their reviews. Linkara and Nostalgia Chick have both confirmed they'll continue reviewing,Bennett the Sage recently uploaded another Anime Abandon episode. We have Film Brain, Lupa, Phelous, and Todd still doing their thing.

How did you like To Boldly Flee, by the way? It had me on the edge of my seat for the past 3 weeks. Pretty funny stuff.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 8:43 pm

While I'm naturally bummed that Doug's retired the NC character, I can certainly understand his reasons and respect his decision. At least between the Scooby-Doo review and To Boldly Flee, he gave the character the best possible send off he could give him.

The good thing about the Internet is that like AVGN's old videos, at least all the old NC videos will still be there for when I need a good laugh.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 12:48 am

My friend was always bugging me alot to watch this guy. He finally came over to my house and showed me a couple. I'm just not into it.

To each his own.

On the other hand I can watch a Rickroll loop about 50 times in a row.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

Nostalgia Critic had a good run, but i do think he was getting stale, still i'm glad he's retiring rather then the show dragging on.
I'm glad Linkara is stil going, i can't wait for the next history of power rangers.

However there are plenty of great underrated internet reviewers that deserve more views. I would recommend you check out reviewers unknown:
http://www.reviewersunknown.com/

They have a reputation of being nicer and being more fair to their reviews. Some shows i can recommend:

the Hardcore kid: http://www.reviewersunknown.com/category/hardcore-kid/
My fav reviewer of all time. Check out his worst youtubers lists (which i recommend for anyone wanting to know who to avoid on youtube). Also he's an Aspie like us.

The cartoon hero: http://www.reviewersunknown.com/category/cartoon-hero/
specializes in animated movies, has a couple of obscure and underrated movies he tackles

The Media hunter: http://www.reviewersunknown.com/category/media-hunter/
Specializes in Animal-related movies. Animal lovers will enjoy him.

And lots of other's those above are just my personal favourites.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2012, 8:51 pm

I are sad :'( BUT Doug said he wants to take TGWTG in a new direction with his new series and fancy new studio. It's not the end for the site, as he says it's a "new chapter" I guess Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick) will take over as the site's primary nostalgia reviewer after Doug symbolically handed her the baton in her recent pirate movie review.

BlackDwarf
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2012, 6:10 am

Wow. I figured it would come to an end in around a years time but I never knew it would end right now.

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 2:26 pm

Least he ended on a semi-high note (with To Boldly Flee,) unlike Alvin-Earthworm and SMBZ

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

I guess what ticks me off about this is that I had some movies in mind that he should totally review but now it looks like that may never happen and to be honest The Nostalgia Chick isn't really that funny. She doesn't go into full depth like the Critic does. Sure he skips a few things but still. Here are a list of films I would have loved for him to review, most of these films are past his cut off date but he's done some of those on rare occassions:

The King and I (Animated Version)
The Mighty Kong (Animated Version of King Kong)
Robocop Sequels
Splash 2
The Secret Agents Club
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Catwoman
The Barbie Movies
More of the Pokemon Movies
Turbo A Power Rangers Movie
George of the Jungle
Spawn

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:19 am

Rakshasa72 wrote:
My friend was always bugging me alot to watch this guy. He finally came over to my house and showed me a couple. I'm just not into it.

To each his own.

On the other hand I can watch a Rickroll loop about 50 times in a row.

Watch Never Gonna Give You Up 50 times in a row? So could I, it's an awesome tune. Rick's a fine singer, he's just a terrible dancer.

KevLibraryGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2012, 8:20 am

BigJohnnyCool wrote:
Least he ended on a semi-high note (with To Boldly Flee,) unlike Alvin-Earthworm and SMBZ

SMBZ? Pardon my lack of info, but who were they/him? Links would probably help.

AnimeFreak5
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2012, 9:27 am

The Nostalgia Critic is (was) one of my favorite internet personalities, and I am sad to see his retirement from that gig. His shows were always a blast to watch and I will miss them.

As tb86 did, I will post a list of movies I wish he would have reviewed. I might review them myself on youtube, eventually.

(note: I originally had 10, but I went overboard and listed more in case NC actually did review the title, as he did with "Dunston Checks In."

TOP TEN (15) TITLES THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC SHOULD REVIEW!! !
1. Hocus Pocus
2. Matilda
3. Harriet the Spy
4. The Aristocats
5. Problem Childs 1 and 2
6. Tall Tale
7. Mouse-Hunt
8. Mighty Joe Young
9. Jumanji
10. Milo and Otis
11. Small Soldiers
12. Tom and Huck
13. The Borrowers
14. Fly Away Home
15. Balto
16. The Sandlot

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

KevLibraryGuy wrote:
BigJohnnyCool wrote:

SMBZ? Pardon my lack of info, but who were they/him? Links would probably help.

Sorry for the late response. SMBZ stands for 'Super Mario Brothers Z', which was a web series run on newgrounds.com, created by the aforementioned Alvin Earthworm. It was animated from Mario and Sonic sprites with some original backgrounds, and it followed a storyline reminiscent of Dragon Ball Z. The fun part of it was the creative use of the spirites in the battle scenes.
It ran for some 8 episodes or so, and was plagued by delays as Alvin was pressed for time and had other things going on. Feeling that producing the videos had become a chore he was no longer enjoying, he pulled the plug out of the series, but left it on a cliffhanger.

Also, AnimeFreak5, I find that a pretty nice list of nostalgic movies which Doug could have reviewed (but now probably never will). Seriously, Problem Child? It should be so obvious. Has he done Police Academy? The original movie, plus maybe the first 2 sequels seem to me like just the sort of material Channel Awesome would sink their teeth into (the original movie was cool enough, the second one was still funny, after that it went downhill fast). Not to mention the short lived Police Academy cartoon.

Also, you're gonna make video reviews yourself? That sounds pretty cool. I'm curious what your style of reviewing would be like.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

AnimeFreak5 wrote

Quote:
TOP TEN (15) TITLES THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC SHOULD REVIEW!! !
1. Hocus Pocus
2. Matilda
3. Harriet the Spy
4. The Aristocats
5. Problem Childs 1 and 2
6. Tall Tale
7. Mouse-Hunt
8. Mighty Joe Young
9. Jumanji
10. Milo and Otis
11. Small Soldiers
12. Tom and Huck
13. The Borrowers
14. Fly Away Home
15. Balto
16. The Sandlot

A good selection there. Some of these films I've seen, some I haven't and some I've don't think I've even heard off. What the heck is Milo and Otis? Those 2 dogs from The Mask and Son of the Mask (awful film he could have reviewed) ? Also he has technically already reviewed The Aristocats in his Disneycember reviews, but I guess it would have been cool if he went into full detail. He was going to review Small Soilders but switched to Scooby Doo. Matilda he was gonna review as well but because apparently alot of people like it he decided not too.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm

Yeah, that is a bummer that the Nostalgia Critic show is ending....one movie I was really hoping he'd get to review is Fritz the Cat. I always wanted to know what his reaction to that movie would have been. Oh, and the two direct - to - video sequels to The Brave Little Toaster: The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars and The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue.

Does anyone know if he'll be continuing his Chester A. Bum character? I liked that one; he was funny.

I also haven't seen that much Nostalgia Chick, but she is very funny, as well - I loved her review of Don Bluth's "Thumbelina" and the review she did with Nostalgia Critic for "Ferngully."

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes