Worst Movie Adaptations of Video Games

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

It's also on Netflix, albeit in Japanese with English subtitles.

Anyway, I'd say a bad movie adaptation would be Pixels, at least in my opinion. I feel like the retro game aesthetic was better explored by Wreck-it Ralph. And then the whole plot element of cheat codes in Pac-Man. It seemed like an interesting concept, but it kind of comes off as one of those scenes from a TV show where someone is playing a game but the game is using arcade sounds even if it is on a modern console. Nothing against anyone who liked the movie, I just really think it wasn't that good.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 1:49 pm

^I only watch it in Japanese. :)
Pixels was kind of disappointing.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

I honestly think nearly all movies based on video games have been horrid.

The only exceptions (from the ones I've seen at least)-

Some of the early Resident Evil movies: they don't follow the games perfectly, but were decent enough.

Super Mario Bros- a fun cheesy movie that I've liked since it first came out

Mortal Kombat (original live action movie)- had its moments and was alright enough.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

The original is on Netflix UK but I don't think it is the director's cut? I will have to find a region free version of the complete edition.

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/Final-Fantasy-VII ... nav=SEARCH

Thanks Kuraudo, do you watch any other Japanese films or animations?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 2:07 pm

^I watch Studio Ghibli movies [my favourites are Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Castle in the Sky]. Ironically, I only watch those in English! :lol:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2016, 2:33 pm

Wow, you know Japanese?

I need to watch Spirited away, maybe on the weekend.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

^I actually translated every single line of dialogue from the Japanese version of Advent Children Complete. I can send the script to you if you are interested.
I'm going to do that, too! It's been awhile since I've watched it.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 2:56 pm

So I feel the urge to post this because Matt is right on why movie adaptations of games fail,

Having said that Silent Hill was the most disappointing for me, if you watch the above video your see its all about greed and scamming tax dollars.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2016, 3:03 pm

Wow! How long did it take to translate? Did you translate it by ear? I am very intererested. :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 3:18 pm

I forget how long it took; probably about a month. I somehow managed to find the original script, so I only had to translate by ear for the [thirty minutes of] additional footage for Complete. I also used a handy Kanji-to-romanji translator. Here's my script: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NzVC8a5SGubQIevCGp1J9Ov7lhxgsfI8E1VvJ_Q55G4/edit
I also have every single one of the short stories that take place in between FFVII and ACC. Oh, and I made my own FFVII walkthrough.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

Any video game movie directed by Uwe Boll are pieces of trash! Did Hollywood not learn its lesson after the release of Uwe Boll's first video game movie? :x

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2016, 4:00 pm

Can I read the short stories? I am a few hours into a new playthrough of FFVII at the moment. Hmm, maybe I can upload it to a Kindle or print it and read when I want to save on my electric bill. Thanks!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 5:26 pm

^Here's everything. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oOPtiMCges458zOGgFlVzItTWzo13EyS4yicb6vBUVY/edit

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 9:55 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^I watch Studio Ghibli movies ... Ironically, I only watch those in English! :lol:

I prefer my anime to be dubbed, but I just can't do Studio Ghibli stuff. Disney insists on using A-list celebrities instead of voice actors, and it just completely ruins it for me.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2016, 2:22 am

Wow thanks! I never knew Google documents supported every format, I will put them on my kindle.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:55 am

^Yay! Tifa's story is my favourite. :)