Worst Movie Adaptations of Video Games

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

I really enjoyed the Super Mario movie at the time... but I was 8. I haven't watched it since then, but I imagine I would find it awful now. The Silent Hill movie was really bad.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 5:34 pm

I have not seen too many video game films. I guess Resident Evil 2 is the worst (since it is the only RE movie I have seen). And Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Other video game movies I have seen are Mortal Kombat (it was actually entertaining), Super Mario Bros. (which I will not comment on because I was too young when I saw it and I cannot remember anything about it), Silent Hill (which I liked, despite the genderbending) and Street Fighter, OF COURSE!

By the way, I think Street Fighter is a very underrated film. Sure, it was a pretty bad film, but it was truly entertaining. Raul Julia really did an amazing job and the plot was over the top and funny.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shxiy7l5b_4[/youtube]

That is how the foreign exchange market should work.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 9:21 pm

The SMB movie is actually one of my favorites, even though it doesn't really have much to do with the games. I'm pretty sure it's the only videogame movie I actually own.

Watching it today, though, it does feel a bit like they had to rush it in time for a certain release date. There are parts, especially nearer the end of the film, where the editing just feels very muddled like certain parts had to be dropped and switched around.

I remember liking the Street Fighter movie too, and almost buying it, though the storyline behind Dhalsim and Blanka was kind of ret*d.

But asking me to pick the worst videogame movie ever is like asking me what my worst vomit ever was. I try not to watch game movies if I can help it, so I guess right now I can only say the worst is that one Uwe Boll movie I had to sit through one time. Does it matter which one it was?

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
Doom- had nothing to do with the game, had a first person scene which should have had more of

That was the one part of the movie I didn't like, way too cheesey.

And it did have a lot to do with the game, just that the original game had very little story to begin with. It's more based on DOOM 3 (obviously).

Titangeek wrote:
I'm suprised Hitman hasn't been listed yet.

I actually thought that movie was surprisingly close to the videogames (that is, if he was playing an Agent 47 who was new to the games and wasn't trying to get Silent Assassin), but after watching the deleted scenes, that's definitely a movie that deserves a director's cut. That "bunch of clones, swordfight out of nowhere!" scene that Sony threw into the finished movie made no sense at all.

Grand_pilot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2012, 10:13 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
By the way, I think Street Fighter is a very underrated film. Sure, it was a pretty bad film, but it was truly entertaining. Raul Julia really did an amazing job and the plot was over the top and funny.

Yes! As i mentionned earlier Raul Julia did in fact do an amazing job as M.Bison; he looked and acted the part, which is more then i can say for Neal McDonough...

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 6:01 am

I don't think I saw the Mario movie, but I used to watch this cartoon show of it, and comparing it to the games, it is very different. For one thing, in the show I remember him not having an italian accent, and coming from America, and sometimes travelling back to "The Real World" and the princess was red-headed, I remember, and had a different name. And the enemy was different as well. maybe it came out before the game was developed further, like in the 90's or something.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm

I was going to say all of them, but I actually did like Mortal Kombat. Also that music gets stuck in my head just thinking about it.

But worst? That would be anything made by Uwe Boll. BloodRayne, Postal, FarCry, In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Worst one I have seen in theaters, Wing Commander.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 6:38 pm

Wing Commander... that movie was a travesty!

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2015, 12:15 pm

Definitely the prince of persia movie. I thought it was terrible.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2015, 11:11 am

Lazershow wrote:

So boring I couldn't even finish watching it.

Every adaption by Uwe Boll is utter trash.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 5:03 am

Lazershow wrote:

So I hear. Battleship, too. I never saw either of them and I don't feel encourged to do so.

I saw Doom and it was also terrible.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 10:57 am

Worst? OMG, that's a hard one. Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider and DoA are the only ones I've enjoyed. The others I've seen are either completely divorced from the source material (DOOM) or just terrible throughout (Street Fighter). I haven't seen any of Uwe Boll's movies, but I can probably safely say the worst would be one of his.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

Yes, Doom was utterly abysmal. I was expecting to see Cacodemons and Barons of Hell all over the place, or at least a final showdown with a Cyberdemon.

Even the participation of Rosamund Pike didn't do much for me.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:36 pm

The Tekken live-action movie.

Oh, dear Gawd.

That was a crime against humanity.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

I haven't watched any movies based off of video games except for the one time when I discovered the Super Mario Bros. anime with English subtitles on Youtube. Usually what I think "Why would I just want to sit and watch a movie based on a game when I can play it? And if I don't feel like playing or buying the game I can usually find longplays of it?

The SMB anime had some pretty strange little flaws. Maybe because it wasn't authorized by Nintendo.
*SPOILER ALERT!*
Luigi was dressed in blue and yellow clothes instead of his signature green shirt and hat, the brothers were working at a general store in the middle of a big desert even though they were officially plumbers in the original Mario Bros. Mario was supposedly Mexican instead of Italian because at one part when he's angry because of Peach's kidnapping he turns into a "bandito" wearing a sombreo and shooting pistols. Also Bowser was actually very sweet and loving to Peach, although she wasn't interested. But he really needed to lose some weight! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:53 pm

Most of them?

Max Payne {2008 version}

Wing Commander

Prince Of Persia

Final Fantasy

Need For Speed

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 10:48 am

This was a TV cartoon and not a movie but Captain N: The Game master was pretty awful. At the time it was on I was in my teens annd going through a kind of a phase where all cartoons based on games or toys were evil half-hour commercials and that kids should only be watching the classics like Looney Tunes or Disney. (Although that didn't stop me from watching MLP and Friends and Jem) For example calling the game world "Video Land" instead of "Nintendo Land", because that would have sounded too commercial. Um, yeah. Looking back at it now, however, I've realized how the characters barely even resembled their video game counterparts and it was as if the creators of the show never even saw the real games, which is probably true.

And when I saw the cartoons based off the SMB franchise it was kind of weird that the main characters acknowledged the fact that they lived in a fictional world. So I've been trying to get to the Mushroom Kingdom by squeezing down those sewer pipes all those years for nothing? :)

In fact all the American cartoons based on games back then were pretty terrible. Serious animation errors, like in Pac-Man a character's eyes disappeared for a second. How do you "forget" to draw eyes on someone?! As a kid I missed out on "Saturday Supercade" that was on CBS because back then we didn't have cable access to American networks, but I got to see it in all its glory on Youtube. Donkey Kong... OMG very un-Italian Mario is really kind of a jerk, and DK was incredibly stupid. For example in one scene he happily goes off with some bad guys without even thinking. Wow...