Going to college with CSC, good idea for an aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

Hello,

I am considering three diferent options, all of which I am considering and would like your opinion. By the way, these are not in a preferred order. First is Northwood in Midland ,Michigan . The positives: free market oriented, teaches Austrian economics, closer to home, and they are partnered with the college I am getting my Associates Degree from (in Economics). Cons: cost, I would be stuck in US for another 4 years (and to be honest, I want to get out of here for multiple reasons), and there is a horrible male to female ratio (I know, very shallow. But then again, the only reasons I am going to college is to meet women, and because it is paid for, otherwise I would flinch on account of price, and because I don't want to end up working for a soulless corporation <not all companies are bad, just not my tastes. Rather work with something more fast paced and building something, like a web site or another type of startup> ) .

Next choice, LSE (London School of Economics). Pros: top 50 school, cost only 4,000 a year to attend online, allows for flexibility to move, would look good on resume, the return on investment would be huge, and FA Hayek once taught there. Cons: Can't seem to find any info on online admissions. I don't know if they are the same as offline. (BTW, if anyone knows, please post or message me). If the requirements are the same, then I might need a few extra classes, which could theoretically be paid for a third year by a scholarship I have, but then on the other hand I don't know if that year would be a waste, and be spent on going to Northwood or my next choice.

Third choice, which I have been thinking about lately: going to Peking University or United International College. Pros for United International College: Would be close to the manufacturing, gambling/resort, and financial capitals (or close to it) of China and Asia (Shenzen, Hong Kong, and Macau), cost is not half bad without scholarships (6,000 a year), but then again there is over 20,000 Chinese College Scholarships (CSC), which might be able to pay for it, since China will grant full ride scholarships to any public university in China to foriegners, the only problem is I don't know if this college is a hybrid, and thus not be covered, or since it is partly run by China it might accept the CSC; it is the only liberal arts college in China (for better or worse, I have no clue), it would allow me to learn one of the main business languages of the world (English and Spanish being the other main tongues), perhaps would able to get a job in consultancy, since they need business expertise really bad, and it would be close to the main business corridor, and if I wanted to, I could work in finance in Hong Kong, and since I don't want to work in NY or Chicago, it would be one of the better alternatives (and I want to work with stocks mostly anyways, but could be a side thing too), I would be able to save alot of money (you would only have to pay $120 a month for essentials, such as tolietrees (I don't know about that spelling), and the food and board is included in the CSC), I would gain world experience, which might help with my resume, and like I said before, I would like to move abroad perhaps, and don't want to be cooped up in the US while the dollar crashes, with student loans I can't pay, it requires only an Associates Degree, and one of my cousins live there (not per se the closest one, but still). Cons: mom is not all that at ease about it, because of my problems, and having limited world exposure (homeschooled and such); I don't know if the culture would not be the best with Aspergers and all, the whole China-Japan squabble is slightley concerning, there is the concern about faith (Chistianity), and just general concerns about moving overseas for 4 years. And for Peking University, the Pros and Cons are quiet similar , with the exception of the capitals bit for pros, and for the cons I would add more lack of intellectual freedom compared to UIC.

I would like to hear you thoughts.