Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

For some of us with Aspies/Autism, it can be hard to articulate and say things in general......... and I happen to be one of those people, to a degree.

What happens in me is that I want to say something, but I can't seem to do it, and then when I want to say it, I forget it. So, yeah, that is a huge problem within me when talking to people.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

While I do have my difficulties, I have a tendency to use big words when I speak at times; I get commended for that. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

charlulz
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2012, 10:34 pm

It happens with me too, my words usually end up coming out in this huge, slurred mess and it's just really embarrassing. I also pause a lot when I talk which can make conversations very odd :lol:

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm

Often when talking to someone, I have a clear idea of what I want to say in my head, but I can't easily translate it into words.

One time, a coworker and I were talking about quantum physics and I was trying to explain the Schrodinger's cat experiment. Even though I understood the concept of the experiment, I could not articulate my thoughts into words. I ended up finding a youtube video about it on my phone to help explain it to him.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm

I would say what happens to me is that I know what I mean, but that there are no sufficient words to express it, which causes me to use metaphors and similies which people don't always understand, which causes me to rephrase myself in different ways until they do or I give up. I am usually accused of rambling, though I was once told my speech is beautiful.

equestriatola wrote:
While I do have my difficulties, I have a tendency to use big words when I speak at times; I get commended for that. :D

Ah, same here. I used to read the dictionary for hours on end. I love how precise you can be with the English language's plenitude of words.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm

I have a HORRIBLE time with this.

It has really really hurt my social interactions. It's hurt my friendships.
I can't say what I want to say. I have the concept clearly in my mind but can't get it out. By the time I do, people in conversations have run over my point and moved on.

So I just shut up in the middle of a conversation. There is no point in having group conversations...

I tried to tell this to my friend, but he couldn't understand at all.

It sucks because I have so much to say.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm

EstherJ wrote:
So I just shut up in the middle of a conversation. There is no point in having group conversations...

Yeah, group conversations are the worst. I feel like there's never a right time to speak. By the time I choose my words, which I do with great caution, the opening for them is no longer there: everyone's moved on. But I had something really interesting to say, so I keep thinking how to bring it back into conversation, but it never works out. After that, I just wind up following my own train of thought.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 3:02 am

Yes. Not a pun

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:04 am

EstherJ wrote:

I can't say what I want to say. I have the concept clearly in my mind but can't get it out. By the time I do, people in conversations have run over my point and moved on.

It's like people are whizzing down this conversational freeway, and being stuck strolling along side the curb. Some of the deepest discussions I've had were with someone who would let me wander a bit, and get back ten minutes later with my reply. I'm terrified in engaging with people at all, because who has the patience for that? :cry:

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2012, 7:47 am

Yea, at times I have trouble articulating myself at times.

Just can't speak clearly sometimes.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:23 am

When I open my mouth my mind goes blank.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:31 am

YES.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
EstherJ wrote:

It's like people are whizzing down this conversational freeway, and being stuck strolling along side the curb. Some of the deepest discussions I've had were with someone who would let me wander a bit, and get back ten minutes later with my reply. I'm terrified in engaging with people at all, because who has the patience for that? :cry:

Not many at all.
My closest friends allow me to elaborate....sometimes.

I usually consider them friends because I like them and they might allow me to elaborate, or I can shut them up in order to do so.
I like your analogy.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 9:17 am

Quote:
Is it hard for you to articulate?

no. i can easily describe things that i find noteworthy. the problem is that no one else finds noteworthy what i find noteworthy.

i have every word that i need in my vocabulary to describe anything i think, but what i think is mainly inconsequential to normal people.

Minim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

I often find it difficult to turn my thoughts into words, and there are often times where I just can't think of the right word as well, although I think that happens to most people at times.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
EstherJ wrote:

This is very true of me as well. I am mystified by how quickly other people zip around (both conversationally, and on other aspects of life too). By the standards of others I am extremely slow at everything, but it is normal speed to me.

I hate being asked questions because I struggle to articulate an answer with a speed that is acceptable to the asker. It is hard for me to find the right words and I often get frustrated or anxious about it. Sometimes I pretend I have not heard what someone said to give me more time to think about my answer. I am also anxious about starting conversations, because while I can start out with something I have had time to think about, as soon as the conversation proceeds past the part I had thought about beforehand, I get lost and am unable to articulate myself.

For some reason, when I'm typing, none of this seems to be an issue in any way, and I am able to express my thoughts as clearly as I think them.