Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 2:34 pm

Boycott cell phones!

I watched an expose' on this topic last night.

Cell phones appear to be hurting people, and we have no political power at the moment to stop them from erecting cell towers, as far as I can tell, but there are some things we can do to protect ourselves, and our loved ones.

But if there is anything we can do, any activism to stop them, let me know.

You can protect yourself to some degree from the effects of cell towers by putting up special curtains, or installing leaded windows, use metalic copper paints on your walls, if you live near a cell phone mast. If you must use a cell phone, get a cell phone radiation sheild. It is worth it.

http://www.willthomas.net/Convergence/Weekly/Cell_Phone_Health_Children.htm

[/url]

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 5:48 pm

I am living in New York right now, and as of this time, it is illegal to use your cell phone while driving. Why other people use cell phones in other places, I don't know.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 5:57 pm

Unfortunately I get paid for carrying one with me, so there's not much I can do..... I've got loads of brain for them rays to get through frying anyway.... :wink:

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 6:19 pm

TAFKASH wrote:
Unfortunately I get paid for carrying one with me, so there's not much I can do..... I've got loads of brain for them rays to get through frying anyway.... :wink:

A big brain won't be so helpful if you develop a rapidy growing brain tumor, though. Get some shielding for your phone.

But consider this:

Is it ethical to use one, considering the effects it has on those living near the towers? Is it perhaps even a form of assault on those vulnerable citizens to fund these cell-phone companies?

Just some more food for thought.

Anyways, thanks for replying, TAFKASH. And yes, they have proven it does warm the brain, albeit slightly. (And kills many brain cells, as proven with mice.)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 6:23 pm

1PeaceMaker wrote:
Is it ethical to use one, considering the effects it has on those living near the towers? Is it perhaps even a form of assault on those vulnerable citizens to fund these cell-phone companies?

Unfortunately, ethics doesn't put 0s in my bank account every month.....

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 6:26 pm

And one more thing:

If have a cell phone and are at risk for a heart attack or stroke, you may want to reconsider your little pocket pal, because cell phones have also been shown to cause blood vessel constriction when used, and could possibly trigger an attack. (This should not happen for normal people.) I don't plan on using one ever again; there are too many moral delemmas surrounding the issue for me.

But hey, maybe someone wants to microwave their brains?? :(

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 6:31 pm

Heh, I must admit, I'm a bit of a cell-phone phobic, I've never had one - they give me the creeps.

I had a cordless landline phone for a few years and I could hear occasional little popping noises in my brain, you can also feel the warming.

PP

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 6:33 pm

It all comes down to my basic apathy with respect to safety scares unfortunately - I have little regard for my own life, so I just don't get too concerned about such things.... Sorry old chap.... :(

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 6:45 pm

Postperson wrote:
Heh, I must admit, I'm a bit of a cell-phone phobic, I've never had one - they give me the creeps.

I had a cordless landline phone for a few years and I could hear occasional little popping noises in my brain, you can also feel the warming.

PP

My husband didn't like them either. Now we have a concrete reason to not like them.

That is kinda freaky, about the popping, you know. :(

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 6:52 pm

TAFKASH wrote:
It all comes down to my basic apathy with respect to safety scares unfortunately - I have little regard for my own life, so I just don't get too concerned about such things.... Sorry old chap....

Ah, scare fatigue.

Still, do me a favour, or I will annoy you into it. Get a cover for your phone. And think about those people who don't like the headaches and sleeplessness those towers create.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 7:04 pm

1PeaceMaker wrote:
And think about those people who don't like the headaches and sleeplessness those towers create.

Aaaahhhhh..... Total, AS induced lack of empathy..... How I do embrace thee to mine bussom on this occasion..... :)

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2005, 7:17 pm

TAFKASH wrote:
1PeaceMaker wrote:
And think about those people who don't like the headaches and sleeplessness those towers create.

Aaaahhhhh..... Total, AS induced lack of empathy..... How I do embrace thee to mine bussom on this occasion..... :)

People with AS need to make caring for others an intellectual decision that will permiate our lives. Our hearts follow our wills. If I will mysef to nurture others, I will fight for them with all my heart, for I do not like to be derailed from what I set my mind on. (And what more worthy of a goal?)

What once may have been selfish, I have turned into an all obsessing unselfish mission. I am out to help others with all my might. It is what I live for. Blessing others.

It is my heartbeat. It is what flows through my veins. I can even say I would sacrifice everything to uphold to me what is the substance of life: Love.

I am as empathic as a logical person can be, (which is considerable, but a bit different than for NTs, I would guess) but I am also locked into my goal, for it is to me, logical.

What is more logical than loving others? If we all did, we would all be happier, I can tell you that.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 7:43 pm

Stop all of this hysteria! People have been trying to link cell phones with cancer for some time now, but those people don't have any solid evidence. People have come to that conclusion by using faulty logic.

Cell phones send and receive signals by Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF) radiation. Cell phones emit radiation because they are an electrical product. All electrical products do. The computer you are sitting at to read this right now is sending waves of radiation. Using the faulty logic means being in a room with a computer, a microwave, a television, and even lights, puts you in danger of getting cancer.

There has been no proven link between cancer and the use of cell phones. The independent Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has found that mobile phone radiation levels are well within the acceptable minimums for exposure.

There has been one link between using cell phones and possible death, though. Driving while talking on one is very risky! As for getting cancer, not very likely. Just use logic.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2005, 8:05 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2005, 1:50 am

Bec wrote:
Stop all of this hysteria!

Bec, I am an activist by nature. I don't sit down, shut up and fit in. I would rather tear my clothes off than tow the party line. I put issues first, self-image later. It is my nature.

When I was in junior high, I stood up in the cafeteria and gave a gutsy spiel on how my teacher was trying to violate my/our religious concience by not allowing me to write an essay on a religious book instead of a fiction one, and I complained to other teachers, and got his descision reversed. It is just what I do. I made myself unpopular in 5th grade pulling a similar stunt with kids who discriminated against a fat boy. I wasn't going to let them judge him by his "cover".

Bec wrote:
People have been trying to link cell phones with cancer for some time now, but those people don't have any solid evidence. People have come to that conclusion by using faulty logic.

Exuse me? Did you read my article or see that World Link special? Numerous respectable scientists have been informing us of the dangers for a few years now, and people aren't listening. People don't even listen to to demographics that reveal cancer clusters around cell towers. But I am not even nearly alone in my opinion.

Bec wrote:
Cell phones send and receive signals by Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF) radiation. Cell phones emit radiation because they are an electrical product. All electrical products do.

That is too broad a generalization. Cell phone radiation is distinctly different for a couple of reasons. The first reason is the frequency (similar to our own field), and the second is the pulsed energy.
Bec wrote:
The computer you are sitting at to read this right now is sending waves of radiation.

Yes, but the risk generated has been proven to be much less with those types of devices.
Bec wrote:
Using the faulty logic means being in a room with a computer, a microwave, a television, and even lights, puts you in danger of getting cancer.

Those devices do have an effect, but are much less dangerous because of their em frequency, and the type of output they give (ex. pulsed vs steady, steady being less harmful)
Bec wrote:
There has been no proven link between cancer and the use of cell phones.

Sorry.. that is propaganda.. wordspeak. There has been shown a high enough probable risk to take protective action for the uninvolved public. That means that those who are properly informed of the possible health effects should be able to choose, but only for themselves. Industry should not have the power to dictate that cell towers be placed on hospital roofs, or near school playgrounds or in residential areas where people can suffer the second-hand radiation effects.

Just the likely presence of health-risk should be enough to take action on behalf of the public interest. Fact is, people do suffer from exposure daily, even if they do not develop cancer, and this is well documented. Headaches, insomnia, and dermatitis type reactions do occure from exposure. Some people even pass out within 10 minutes of exposure to these frequencies.

Also, just because you can't see a person dead on the floor from cancer with the "smoking cell phone" does not mean that you cannot establish a causal relationship. That would be ludicris, and definetly not good science.

Bec wrote:
The independent Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has found that mobile phone radiation levels are well within the acceptable minimums for exposure.

That is directly contrary to what I understand to be the truth. I just saw a documentary that shows how the raised risk in animals for cancer from EM frequencies were about half the standard cell tower usages.

Bec wrote:
There has been one link between using cell phones and possible death, though. Driving while talking on one is very risky! As for getting cancer, not very likely. Just use logic.

Amusing. I did use logic. No offence intended, but I think you inadvertently used propaganda instead.

Here's one of the latest and most relevent studies.

Quote:
Study: How Cell Phones Cause Cancer
ZDNet UK
Journalist: Rupert Goodwins
June 25, 2001

Researchers in Australia have reported one of the first scientific hypotheses that normal mobile phone use can lead to cancer. The research group, lead by radiation expert Dr Peter French, principal scientific officer at the Centre for Immunology Research at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, said that mobile phone frequencies well below current safety levels could stress cells in a way that has been shown to increased susceptibility to cancer.

The paper, published in the June issue of the science journal Differentiation, says that repeated exposure to mobile phone radiation acts as a repetitive stress, leading to continuous manufacture of heat shock proteins within cells.

Heat shock proteins are always present in cells at a low level, but are manufactured in larger amounts when the cell is stressed by heat or other environmental factors. They repair other proteins that are adversely affected by the conditions, and are part of the cell's normal reaction to stress. However, if they are produced too often or for too long, they are known to initiate cancer and increase resistance to anti-cancer drugs.

No link shown
Dr. French emphasised that no link has yet been shown between the specific biological effects of mobile phone radiation and cancer, but that there was now a theoretical framework for such an effect that could be investigated. His previous work has included showing that the production of histamine, a chemical involved in asthma, can be nearly doubled after exposure to cellular frequencies.

To date, most safety levels have been set on the assumption that damage is caused by heating effects of radio waves in human tissue, much higher than the levels at which Dr French claims heat shock proteins are triggered.

His co-authors include Professor Ron Penny, the director of the Centre and one of Australia's leading experts in the cellular effects of HIV, and Professor David McKenzie, head of applied physics at Sydney University.

http://www.rfsafe.com/article384.html

1PeaceMaker
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2005, 2:07 am

AntiEverything wrote:
At the present time I agree with Bec but I respect that you believe in what you're campaigning for, 1PeaceMaker.

I wonder what you will think after reading my reply.. :D
Quote:
I think cell phones altogether are too useful to consider completely getting rid of. It gives people an instant line to use during an accident, when people are away from home they can use them without having to use a phone booth which is more expensive, and now cell phones are beginning to have cameras and even video cameras on them so you can actually use them as an all-in-1 holiday camera and communication thingy.

We don't have to do away with cell phones, we just need to modulate their frequency differently, and this has been discussed by scientists.

Quote:
Also, having video cameras on cell phones is soon going to be a standard and when it is I hope the police will encourage children in school to record instances of bullying so they can give absolute proof. Of course this could also be extended to recording all kinds of abuse. Just imagine - when everyone has one it'll make people feel like there could be someone watching and recording them all the time and it'll make people much more worried about not being found out as the perpetrator of violent and theft crimes.

That sort of stuff can be done without cell phones, and is done with other camera devices already, but as I said, if you want your cell phones, you can have them, as long as their frequencies are modulated safely.

Quote:
There needs to be more concrete evidence about the health issues of mobile phones and for now they serve society very well in my opinion.

I understand that you like being comfortable, but is it ethical to sacrifice other's comfort for your own? Like those little kids getting cancer in the playground next to the cell tower?

Or is it right that companies withold valuable information from you, their customer, which might make you more aware of the possible dangers so you can compensate for them, or at least just know? Don't you have that right to be informed?