O +

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:08 am

y-pod wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
No idea, how does one go about figuring that out?

You can buy a blood typing kit for a few dollars. I got them online from some education supply place (I ordered several to test my whole family) but if you do a search you'll find loads of them. You need only one drop of blood to test it. And as a girl you don't even have to prick yourself. ;)

Or you can go donate blood and they'll tell you your type.
If you do it yourself sometimes O and A can look similar and it might be hard for an untrained eye to tell the difference. So if you do a DIY test and it's not obvious, the next time you get blood work done at the doctor, like your yearly checkup type blood work, just ask them to type you and they can include that in the panel with your cholesterol counts and all that other stuff they check. Then you can know for sure. If you don't know your type it is a very important thing that you should know. I don't understand why all babies are not just typed at birth. They do heel pricks on newborns so they might as well type them while they are at it.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:13 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Every doctor/nurse I have asked has refused to tell me--those who drew the blood, those who assessed it [for various things over the years] and the referring doctors.

Which is somewhat weird, to say the least.
They can't refuse to tell you. If you specifically ask to be typed as part of your panel they have to tell you. They might not have typed it when they drew it for other reasons so they might not know what it is. But if you specifically ask them to type you, I think they are required to tell you if you ask what the result is.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:15 am

serenity wrote:
O Negative. I had to get shots before, and after all 4 of my children were born, because not one of them had Rh negative blood. You'd think one of them would've, but then again I've no idea where I inherited it.
Yeah, it's pretty scary. It can actually kill the mother if you don't get the balancing shot if your baby is a different type than you are.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:19 am

willow wrote:
O...whichever one is the universal giver..but has to have the same type given.
O is universal donor, AB is universal recipient. All blood types have the O antigen since O is the base bloodtype. That is why it can be universal donor. AB has the O antigen as well as the A antigen and the B antigen and that is why it is universal recipient. You can't receive a blood type that has an antigen that yours does not have. Your body will reject it as a foreign invasion.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:21 am

DrowningMedusa wrote:
Steve,

But I though O was the rarest? Or is that just O neg? How much more uncommon is it to have an RH-? Most people so far are +...
O is the most common. AB is the least common.

Wreck It Ralph

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 May 2014, 6:27 am

I am Type A positive with Asperger's.