Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

I love metal, but so often the vocalists seem to use improper techniques and focus on trying to sound cool rather than be decipherable. There is also this huge vehemence associated to singing in metal that I don't understand...it makes for nice contrasts.

Types of heavy vocals I hate: screeches (mainly black metal), pig squeals (mostly screamo/deathcore), cookie monster growls (mostly death metal), power metal screams, over-the-top prog vocals (all ripoffs of Dream theater, who are pretentious garbage), Threat Signal style harpy screams, high pitch screamo screams that you can't make out a word of, and Lou Reed (Lulu.)

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

To be honest, I found out that I just don't like metal anymore they way I used to before.

The only type of metal I can still appreciate is industrial metal or science fiction-themed metal.

So far all the vocal types you listed are all also the reason why I ditched metal in general.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

There are still some amazing metal vocalists...Anders Friden, Brian fairs (Shadows fall), Jamie Graham (Sylosis/Heart of a Coward), Clint Lowery (many bands, vocals in call me No One and backing vocals in Sevendust), Corey taylor (Slipknot), and Martin Cock (American Head Charge.)

I am just surprised that so many of them are complete garbage.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

Quality in vocals in very subjective. To me Corey Taylor sounds incredibly generic. If you want an objective way to classify who is the best vocalist the result would probably be Halford as he has one of the widest vocals ranges in rock, and he can employ multiple singing styles.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:53 pm

Thanks Ganondox, I forgot to add that vocal style: high pitched wailing vocals along the lines of Judas Priest.

Range does not mean quality and I think Dir en grey is the perfect proof...the contrast between the singing and growls are insane but the growls are indecipherable and the singing just really high pitched.

As far as Corey taylor goes I think he has a wonderful range with great tone...although I tend to listen to Stone Sour more than Slipknot these days.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Thanks Ganondox, I forgot to add that vocal style: high pitched wailing vocals along the lines of Judas Priest.

Range does not mean quality and I think Dir en grey is the perfect proof...the contrast between the singing and growls are insane but the growls are indecipherable and the singing just really high pitched.

As far as Corey taylor goes I think he has a wonderful range with great tone...although I tend to listen to Stone Sour more than Slipknot these days.

He isn't using the wailing style here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC7KQPDuDc[/youtube]

High quality singing right there.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 2:19 pm

Screeches and growls actually require a ton of practice, technique and talent. For this reason most growlers/screechers are also highly accomplished clean vocalists.

But yeah i can agree that Rob Halford is basically the king when it comes to great clean metal vocals.

Also King Diamond is an acquired taste but is extremely talented as well.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:11 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:

King Diamond has been my favorite metal since I was a teenager. Also, I think "Megadeth" has the worst vocals I've heard at least for an extremely popular band.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

Venger wrote:
Rorberyllium wrote:

King Diamond has been my favorite metal since I was a teenager. Also, I think "Megadeth" has the worst vocals I've heard at least for an extremely popular band.

Of course, Mustaine's singing skills are excused by his guitar skills.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm

That is the first Judas Priest song I have found listenable, let alone enjoyable. Good song.

The guitar makes me think of the intro to Avoid the Light by Pantera a bit.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:19 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
That is the first Judas Priest song I have found listenable, let alone enjoyable. Good song.

The guitar makes me think of the intro to Avoid the Light by Pantera a bit.

Nothing wrong with the way Rob Halford sings or performs his trademark banshee style wail. I'd take Halford over generic vocalists like Corey Taylor or Matt Tuck anyday.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 6:13 am

The metalcore "Whiny vocals" or whatever I can't stand, overly-powerful power metal vocalists are equally as annoying.

Death metal vocals are really hit and miss for me, some work and are brilliant, others/most just sound like absolute crap.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:03 am

What about metal and bad drummers? If you type Lars Ulrich into Google, you get the autocomplete 'Lars Ulrich bad drummer' :lol:

About metal vocals - I generally dislike the high-pitched type of metal/heavy rock vocals (which eliminates a lot of music for me). I like it when the lead singers sound like men.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

Bun wrote:
What about metal and bad drummers? If you type Lars Ulrich into Google, you get the autocomplete 'Lars Ulrich bad drummer' :lol:

About metal vocals - I generally dislike the high-pitched type of metal/heavy rock vocals (which eliminates a lot of music for me). I like it when the lead singers sound like men.

Same; metal should have vocals in the baritone region generally with good decipherable singing/growling/screaming, with maybe some higher pitch singing.

As far as drummers go I often think drummers don't get enough credit in metal. Thrash metal and detah metal in particular has some crazy drumming. My favorite drummer is Henrik Andols of Chimaira or Tim Yueng of Divine Heresy.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
Bun wrote:

Same; metal should have vocals in the baritone region generally with good decipherable singing/growling/screaming, with maybe some higher pitch singing.

As far as drummers go I often think drummers don't get enough credit in metal. Thrash metal and detah metal in particular has some crazy drumming. My favorite drummer is Henrik Andols of Chimaira or Tim Yueng of Divine Heresy.

Why should metal vocals be baritone? All the original metal vocalists were known for their tenors, or even high pitched singing. I've always preferred that to this growling stuff.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm

All in tastes I suppose Ganondox. I find most of the really high pitched vocals in metal annoying and/or unfitting often. However, I do love bands that do both higher pitch singing well and have really good growls. Bands that do that are along the lines of In Flames (Reroute to Remain through COme Clarity eras), Demon Hunter and Nonpoint.