Thoughts on the new season (2012) of Big Bang Theory?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Favorite Big Bang character?
Sheldon 61%  61%  [ 22 ]
Leonard 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Raj 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Howard 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Penny 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Amy 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 36

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

transformingcar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
transformingcar wrote:
I find "the big bang theory" to be very offensive.
it is not funny, it is insulting. as they make fun of people with disabilitys.
I'd have to compare it too "ICarly" becuase that show was extremly offensive. altough I did not realize that untill I saw several episodes where the main characters directly insulted those with mental disabilitys.

how any one with aspergers can enjoy such shows is beyond me, when those shows are a direct insult to the mentally disabled.

But no one's making fun of Sheldon and Amy for their apparent autism (which is never stated in the show), but for their funny quirks. There's nothing wrong with us Aspies being able to laugh at ourselves. And it should be noted, both Amy and Sheldon are gifted and highly intelligent. I hardly see that as a slam on Asperger's. Rather, I see them as positive representations of Aspies.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

serously? your really think it's ok to let people luagh at aspergers? it's shows like this that keep people from taking us seriously. it's why people have such terrible views on aspergers. the show is clearly offensive, I'm surpirsed more aspies don't realize this.

Well, all I can say in that case is, most Aspies aren't you.

jlym
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm

I agree with Bill!

First of all no one is making fun of the actual disability or disorder! Give me a single example!

I think that it is actually quite awesome (if it were real and not fiction) because Sheldon has friends and family that allow him to be quirky but also challenge him to grow. And isn't that the goal?? Having people in our lives that accept us for who we are and what we can and can't do, but who also challenge us to push beyond or comfort zone?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you find it offensive than that is fine, but please post about it somewhere else. This thread is for people who enjoy the show to talk about.

P.S. In my personal experience, a lot of my friends with aspergers and my friends who are parents of kids with severe autism all love the show. We find that we can relate to it and the challenges in our lives and it is also a way to laugh a little and relieve stress. There are many WAY more offensive shows and programs out there that actually do flat out make fun of disabilities, this is NOT one of them.

Emotional Intelligence: 60/100

Most likely an Aspie or on the spectrum...

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 4:14 am

The thing about Sheldon is that he is just one of a cast of quirky characters, and likely not the only one on the spectrum. He is not a showcase for severe sensory issues (which WOULD be in poor taste) but rather for theory of mind issues. I think most of us can relate to the character in one way or another and find ourselves laughing at our own flaws through him. In a way, that's a very healthy thing to do as it lets us look in the mirror and see why some of our communications problems lead to offense in others. Plus, we all know he's exaggerated (at least I hope he is!) If anything, I am more offended by the portrayal of fundamentalist Christians via the character of Sheldon's mom, but even there I have to let it go. She's not portrayed as bad, per se, and acts as the ultimate balance to Sheldon's character.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 10:34 am

outofplace wrote:
The thing about Sheldon is that he is just one of a cast of quirky characters, and likely not the only one on the spectrum. He is not a showcase for severe sensory issues (which WOULD be in poor taste) but rather for theory of mind issues. I think most of us can relate to the character in one way or another and find ourselves laughing at our own flaws through him. In a way, that's a very healthy thing to do as it lets us look in the mirror and see why some of our communications problems lead to offense in others. Plus, we all know he's exaggerated (at least I hope he is!) If anything, I am more offended by the portrayal of fundamentalist Christians via the character of Sheldon's mom, but even there I have to let it go. She's not portrayed as bad, per se, and acts as the ultimate balance to Sheldon's character.

The first time I saw the show, I thought all the male were on the spectrum, to one degree or another.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm

jlym wrote:
This thread is for people who enjoy the show to talk about.
Actually, no - the topic title is "Thoughts on the new season (2012) of Big Bang Theory?" and even the OP expressed some doubt.

I used to enjoy it but something started feeling flat about it after a while. This, posted to a thread elsewhere, explains the situation very well:
http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/p ... ang-theory

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 3:51 am

Cornflake wrote:
jlym wrote:
This thread is for people who enjoy the show to talk about.
Actually, no - the topic title is "Thoughts on the new season (2012) of Big Bang Theory?" and even the OP expressed some doubt.

I used to enjoy it but something started feeling flat about it after a while. This, posted to a thread elsewhere, explains the situation very well:
http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/p ... ang-theory

It's an interesting perspective and one I had not considered before. It's so rare that I ever find anything on prime time TV worth watching that I guess I overlooked the inherent meanness of the show. Then again, I am a geek of a different stripe than those portrayed on TBBT. I'm more technical than Sci Fi so I don't relate as much to that part of it. I watch some of it sometimes, but it's never been a big part of my identity like my abilities with tools has.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

My apologies. When I started the thread, I assumed that if you watched the show, you probably liked it. Why watch it when you don't care for it?

It's a bit of fresh air for me. I almost always end up laughing my head off. I see one of them doing something Aspergian that no one else in the show understands, and I'm like "I get why he's doing that."
Except the scientific jargon, then I'm lost. My brain is geared to literature, not science and mathmatics. I can do old English Shakespeare, but not algebra and beyond.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

HereBeDragons wrote:
My apologies. When I started the thread, I assumed that if you watched the show, you probably liked it. Why watch it when you don't care for it?

It's a bit of fresh air for me. I almost always end up laughing my head off. I see one of them doing something Aspergian that no one else in the show understands, and I'm like "I get why he's doing that."
Except the scientific jargon, then I'm lost. My brain is geared to literature, not science and mathmatics. I can do old English Shakespeare, but not algebra and beyond.

Nor am I the stereotype of the math, technology oriented Aspie. I'm a history nut, and I love to write and I've been told I know my way around literature.

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

This show has gone downhill. I'm not interested in romantic relationships, nor am I particularly interested in humor based on romantic relationships. I am still managing to somewhat enjoy the show, though.

My favourite character is Sheldon. I find Amy very annoying (less so at first, but she was also more pointless back then as more of a Sheldon clone than much else).

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 7:48 pm

Sorry to temporaily go off topic, I just wanted to ask Tiranasta about their avatar. Where's that from? A movie?

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

What did y'all think of episode three of the new season?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Sheldon is a whining, self-centered donkey-bite, in my opinion. I can't stand him, so I don't usually watch the show.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Curlywurly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2012, 3:29 pm

HereBeDragons wrote:

I think it's cruel keeping Howard locked up in a capsule in space for so long. He must be missing his mother terribly.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 3:53 pm

Sheldon and Amy also make fun of the others, so it balances out, IMO.

One thing I am not liking is after 5 seasons, Raj still can't talk to girls unless he drinks. First, the joke is getting old. Second, With Penny, Amy, and Bernndette around more, he would have gotten over it by now. How about they show some character devlopment with Him?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Curlywurly wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:

I think it's cruel keeping Howard locked up in a capsule in space for so long. He must be missing his mother terribly.

I think it's the other way around. He wants to get away from her, but can't because she is the stereotypical Jewish mother playing hard core guilt trips on him to control him. In a way, she is a poster child for a mother with narcissistic personality disorder as she does what she does not out of love for her son, but for her own selfish need to not be alone.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 4:30 pm

Curlywurly wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:

Actually, he's been succumbing to anxiety, and having a growing sexual fetish with gravity.