Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

A lot of times I find myself having to repeat myself especially if someone is half deaf in one ear or has bad hearing, even sometimes with my wife who has better than normal hearing. I have kind of a soft medium range voice but it doesn't project very well. Has anyone here had that problem and they've been able to overcome it? I try to put more volume behind it but sometimes that's annoying.

What have you done if you have been through this or helped someone with this?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

I tend to have that problem, but I hardly ever talk to people so it's not a massive problem in my weird existence. But when I do talk to people what's annoying is that as soon as I stop concentrating on compensating for it I drop right back into my default soft-speaking mode.

One small thing I've discovered is clearing my ears -- that is, where you hold your nose and blow and 'pop' your ears (a.k.a. "Valsalva maneuver"). I have no idea why it helps, but for me it does. I've wondered if it somehow shifts the balance of perceived sound from inside the body vs. from the outside.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2012, 6:56 pm

I have a soft voice too , and am frequently asked to repeat what I said. According to my mother, it has always been that way. Even my birth cry was barely audible.

In my case it has to do with faulty breathing, possibly caused by mild scoliosis. I studied classical guitar for a while at a Conservatory. For general music education, it was required to take singing classes as well. WHen the teacher taught me diaphram breathing, my voice became louder. By no means an opera voice that can project across a concert hall, but still an improvement.

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2012, 7:00 pm

People used to always tell me that I was too quiet. Sometimes people still strain to hear me. I can't seem to do anything about it. Because I can always hear my voice, I can't tell when I'm too quiet for someone else. If I'm really excited about something, though, then my voice gets too loud.

I just try to speak louder than I think I need to be when I remember to consider my volume.

People seem to think I do it on purpose, or that I do it because of some insecurity somewhere, but I really don't notice and can't help it ;_; If I noticed my vocal volume, I'd also be able to tell when I'm too loud!

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2012, 8:48 pm

I THINK that people more or less form their speaking habits in childhood. Which is why I have a heavily Northern accent even though I've always lived in Virginia. My family is from Rhode Island. Supposedly, children on the spectrum do not naturally try to get other people to listen to them speak, so they don't form the same vocal nuances that neurotypical kids do. Neurotypical kids have a "listen to me!" thing imbedded in them that makes their voices naturally modulate to be easy to listen to. So basically kids on the spectrum aren't really concerned with people listening to them- like someone else said- they can hear themselves, so what's the big deal? But then as adult many aspies have a monotone, low voice, which TURNS INTO SHOUTING WITH EXCITEMENT WHICH IS LOL WHEN IT HAPPENS SUDDENLY!

It's hard for anyone to change their voice as an adult, but I think it's really important. Not to "fit in" or to "pass" but simply because it's important for people to be able to listen to you. It's extraordinarily difficult for ANYONE to focus on the voices of some people on the spectrum for a long time, simply for cognitive reasons. It's not anyone's fault, it's just a biological thing.

My suggestion is to just go to youtube and type in voice modulation. This is such a common aspie problem that there are tons of videos out there. Some are better than others, but really you just need one that makes sense to you. Then you need to practice, probably on your wife, since she should be right there available.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2012, 10:52 pm

Wow that's good advice. Thanks!

muff
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2012, 6:35 am

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
I THINK that people more or less form their speaking habits in childhood. Which is why I have a heavily Northern accent even though I've always lived in Virginia. My family is from Rhode Island. Supposedly, children on the spectrum do not naturally try to get other people to listen to them speak, so they don't form the same vocal nuances that neurotypical kids do. Neurotypical kids have a "listen to me!" thing imbedded in them that makes their voices naturally modulate to be easy to listen to. So basically kids on the spectrum aren't really concerned with people listening to them- like someone else said- they can hear themselves, so what's the big deal? But then as adult many aspies have a monotone, low voice, which TURNS INTO SHOUTING WITH EXCITEMENT WHICH IS LOL WHEN IT HAPPENS SUDDENLY!

It's hard for anyone to change their voice as an adult, but I think it's really important. Not to "fit in" or to "pass" but simply because it's important for people to be able to listen to you. It's extraordinarily difficult for ANYONE to focus on the voices of some people on the spectrum for a long time, simply for cognitive reasons. It's not anyone's fault, it's just a biological thing.

My suggestion is to just go to youtube and type in voice modulation. This is such a common aspie problem that there are tons of videos out there. Some are better than others, but really you just need one that makes sense to you. Then you need to practice, probably on your wife, since she should be right there available.

yes, this is good stuff. for whatever reason, i never considered the problem to have its root cause in socialization. wild.

ill for sure check out that youtube stuff. thank you.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2012, 8:18 am

VAGraduateStudent wrote:

hey VA,
do you get your information from books or professionals in the field? my therapist has been talking about my voice in therapy and he doesnt have good things to say. he relates it to depression, placing it in the 'cons' column for remaining depressed. i have told him that it does not sound any different when i am less depressed. dont get me wrong, he has supported the pursuit of answers in regards to AS, but this is not something that he knows anything about. i would like to read more about this so please point me in the right direction if you can.

in regards to making my voice sound easier for people to listen to and louder OP, i used to share a lot of poetry in the past. i still write it, but i dont share it. i believe it did help with my range/emphasis/tone/volume, all of those things. interestingly enough, i didnt care so much if people were listening, but it did still help so i will probably go back to that soon.

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Go sing karaoke. It'll toughen up your vocal chords and help you deal with social anxiety!! Seriously, it works

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200