Page 7 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 2:38 am

CyborgUprising wrote:

Everything I have said is in the Bible. If one truly wishes to follow this doctrine, they cannot cherry-pick the "good parts" and ignore the "undesirable parts."

The New Testament does not abrogate the Old Testament, otherwise the 10 Commandments would no longer apply and Jesus would have not existed on earth prior to the crucifixion. The way many people who do not wish to acknowledge the more violent portions of their Scriptures seem to like pulling the "well that was the Old Testament" argument.

Please cite as many old testament ones you disagree with, and I'll try to answer them if I can.

The Human Story
I wish Christians and Jews would not skip over the uncomfortable parts. Most of them are not that uncomfortable when you understand it in the light it is ment to be understood. I look at the violence, the rape, and quite frankly, I am very happy the text did not leave those parts out. Not like humanist garbage my professors try to indoctrinate that try to fancy the ancients as being peaceful loving communitarians who all got along and it was only those violent Jews and their God who came along and messed things up. The Book is real precisely because it tells the human story, and what would the human story be without genocide, war, corruption, jealousy, greed, betrayal rape, child abuse, animal cruelty, etc.

"It's The Old Testaments Problem:"
And they are destroying the credibility of the text when they pick and choose what they like and don't like, and excuse the old testament so easily. Jesus was well rooted in the old testament. If you say the book is wrong, then when do you know when its right? You in affect become God, you already know better then it, and your gut and heart are better sources of morality. If you decide when it is right and wrong, then why read the bible at all? What is the need for the book, then, dear Christian????????????????