What was your first special interest?

Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

I saw a thread in the movies section on the James Bond films that made me think back to previous special interest I've had which caused me to create this thread as I'm interested in what your first special interest was or if you don't know the earliest one you can remember.

My first special interest was trains (specifically steam engines.) I think this interest sparked up from a love of the franchise Thomas the Tank Engine, the television show and books; the books actually taught me how to read funnily enough. After this I started collecting models of Hornby Model Trains and Tracks and researching trains through books. In my grandparent's attic all of this is preserved as well which is interesting I guess. Also at age 3 I drew a picture of a train in immense detail for my age (also take in mind I had delayed communication skills at this age as well.)

This interest died when I my next special interest started which was in the BBC TV Show 'Robot Wars' which was also running at the same time as another special interest on documentaries on animals (specifically David Attenborough) and animals in general.

So please fell free to share your first/early special interest!
-BenPritchard

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:31 pm

I believe it was (and still is) serial killers.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
I believe it was (and still is) serial killers.

I suppose this wasn't at a young age? :lol:

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

My first special interest was Super Mario Bros. I have had many others since then but I'm still interested in Nintendo and Mario in particular.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

Antarctica!

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:41 pm

Curiotical wrote:
My first special interest was Super Mario Bros. I have had many others since then but I'm still interested in Nintendo and Mario in particular.

Not too long ago I had an special interest in Nintendo as well. I don't really play video games very much anymore though. The special interests I have that last are usually always in the arts.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

BenPritchard wrote:
I saw a thread in the movies section on the James Bond films that made me think back to previous special interest I've had which caused me to create this thread as I'm interested in what your first special interest was or if you don't know the earliest one you can remember.

My first special interest was trains (specifically steam engines.) I think this interest sparked up from a love of the franchise Thomas the Tank Engine, the television show and books; the books actually taught me how to read funnily enough. After this I started collecting models of Hornby Model Trains and Tracks and researching trains through books. In my grandparent's attic all of this is preserved as well which is interesting I guess. Also at age 3 I drew a picture of a train in immense detail for my age (also take in mind I had delayed communication skills at this age as well.)

This interest died when I my next special interest started which was in the BBC TV Show 'Robot Wars' which was also running at the same time as another special interest on documentaries on animals (specifically David Attenborough) and animals in general.

-BenPritchard

You sound like my older brother. He was obsessed with Thomas and then Robot Wars for a long time. Oh, and he's also called Ben. :P

I don't remember having any particular special interests when I was very young. My first full-blown obsession was Harry Potter when I was a teenager, then I moved onto various TV sitcoms in my mid to late teens before finally settling on SpongeBob. Which, now I think about it, is a bit of a step backwards ... it probably would have been more appropriate to be obsessed with a kids cartoon when I was a kid, not a young adult.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

Medical dramas.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2012, 5:46 pm

I think for me, my first special interest was airplanes. Especially WWII warbirds and bombers. I knew most every model and specification. I can still recognize a P51 or B17 etc. from far away just by its shape.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
BenPritchard wrote:

-BenPritchard

You sound like my older brother. He was obsessed with Thomas and then Robot Wars for a long time. Oh, and he's also called Ben. :P

That is a very creepy coincidence :?

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 5:54 pm

I think it was reading; I used to read every word that passed in front of my eyes when I was young. According to my mother, I could read when I was 3, which implies hyperlexia.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:56 pm

The Thunderbirds!

I remember that there was a supermarket that gave stamps to customers with which you could get the Thunderbird crafts and puppets. I nagged my mother for hours on end to go grocery shopping (what a way to get an aspie into a supermarket!) and eventually collected them all.

After that, this special interest sort of seamlessly merged into an obsession for the Apollo missions and satelite communication.

Telstar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ybCjf6ras

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

NewDawn wrote:
The Thunderbirds!

I remember that there was a supermarket that gave stamps to customers with which you could get the Thunderbird crafts and puppets. I nagged my mother for hours on end to go grocery shopping (what a way to get an aspie into a supermarket!) and eventually collected them all.

After that, this special interest sort of seamlessly merged into an obsession for the Apollo missions and satelite communication.

Telstar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ybCjf6ras

I just remembered I had a minor interest in Thunderbirds when I was younger. The same goes for Stingray (which was my favourite) and Captain Scarlet.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 6:07 pm

Television and marketing logos, from ages two to four. This is very well documented as I made scrapbooks and drawings of these logos constantly, and there are many home videos about me monologuing about random logos.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 6:07 pm

Aladdin, Lion King, and Toy Story were my first special interests. They were the only movies I could sit through outside of a theater for a while.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

anatomy! my dad had a printing company and one year he printed encyclopedias. i was fascinated with the transparencies of the human body which were page after page of overlays in which the top page was the skin, the next was muscle, the following one was nerves, then veins and arteries, and finally the last page was skeleton.

that, and animals. i believed i could talk with animals like dr. doolittle :)