Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

Maybe this topic's been entertained before, but it sort of jumped to mind, what can I say :D

I'm of the opinion, as an Aspie, that our natural preference is cats as pets over dogs - while the majority of NTs prefer dogs. And while I can't back this up with empirical evidence, my impression is that the "uber-NTs", or the ones who are very extroverted, very sensory-perceptive and so forth, tend to prefer larger (or more vicious) dogs for some reason (think: Rotweiler or German Shepherd or Labrador Retriever). Maybe it's something about the larger dogs being more "sociable" or something.

I'm more of a cat person myself with two cats - but then again, I've mostly grown up with cats my whole life, from family and neighbours. So maybe that's just part of it, Aspie-ness notwithstanding. But in the past, when trying to fit in with NT peers, I told them that I like dogs and cats equally b/c I was worried about the cat preference setting of an alarm bell of eccentricity. Probably a bit of movie stereotypes mixed in there too like the bad guys with the cats (but my cats were never white, ha ha. :D )

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Oct 2012, 9:52 pm

I agree, OP. Dogs are waaaay too loud for me; that and I've had bad experiences with them.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

NutcrackerPrincess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2012, 9:59 pm

I do LIKE cats and I used to have a cat, but he ran away.

I'm currently finding out if I have Asperger's, I'm pretty sure I have it, but I don't know yet.

I guess I prefer dogs only because I have more experience with them. They ARE loud, but they are more predictable than cats are in my opinion.
I had a collie when I was 3 and then two pugs.

Right now I have a German Shepherd and I think that type of dog is actually a PERFECT pet for someone with Aspergers or Autism because German Shepherds are highly intelligent, very close to you, trainable, predictable, and they are also very ROUTINE oriented... you would almost have to work with a German Shepherd the same way you would work with an Autistic individual.

German Shepherds also know people so well that they can sense problems in their owners before the problems arise such as seizures... but that may include and not be limited to meltdowns and sensory overload

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

grew up with dogs. have a cat. cat's are easier. dogs are generally more affectionate, but i have the world's most affectionate cat.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm

Personally, I've never liked cats. They don't appeal to me.

I like dogs far better. I have to admit though that some breeds (those that tend to be very eager and hyperactive (like Jack Russell terrier, labrador, boxer) can be weary to be around. I like more relaxed, like shepherds. Collies for instance tend to be calm (not border, they need something to do).
So for me it's no contest, dogs are far preferable to cats.

That said, my favourite will always be turtles.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

cats.....I like dogs too though........

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

I love cats.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm

Ive grown up having a cat in the family when I moved out I went without having a pet for a year then I ended up moving into a grannyflat where the landlord had a cat, a cat is a good companion. I love animals I really don't have a prefrence on cat or dog if I could have a pet where I am right now I would have a cat and a dog a beagle as long as the dog and cat get along.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I love cats.

I love your avatar cat....I keep wanting to scratch it under the chin :)

revolutionrocknroll
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2012, 12:57 am

Jayo wrote:
Maybe this topic's been entertained before, but it sort of jumped to mind, what can I say :D

I'm of the opinion, as an Aspie, that our natural preference is cats as pets over dogs - while the majority of NTs prefer dogs. And while I can't back this up with empirical evidence, my impression is that the "uber-NTs", or the ones who are very extroverted, very sensory-perceptive and so forth, tend to prefer larger (or more vicious) dogs for some reason (think: Rotweiler or German Shepherd or Labrador Retriever). Maybe it's something about the larger dogs being more "sociable" or something.

No way! I'm a dog person, and I know several other aspies who are too! My dog's my best friend. Dogs coevolved with humans and understand them on an instinctual level. They were, in fact, the first domesticated animal. They make perfect companions for those who can't socialize with humans, like me xD

I can also read dog behavior much more easily than cat behavior. But again, dogs, having evolved to live and work with humans, naturally communicate more easily with us. Cats aren't even fully domesticated.

And larger dogs aren't "more vicious." It's very rare to find a dog that's truly aggressive. Most aggression is based in fear and insecurity (from not being properly socialized, bad experiences, more anxious breeds or lines, etc). The rest is based in neurological problems like rage syndrome in spaniels.

TheWrithing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2012, 1:50 am

Considering I have at least eight cats, my preference is obvious. Mine are gentle quiet creatures with which I appreciate as they are not exceedingly noisy or messy yet vigilant in knowing when I am am emotionally in need of their presence. In their own generous compassion, they've shown me what seems so foreign in terms of how normal people more often than not react toward those afflicted with aspergers and whatever other afflictions society tends to deem as "abnormal". I quite simply do not know where I would be without my feline companions except more likely than not worse off without them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 1:57 am

Well since my cat died(not the current one that is more just one of the cats at my moms house that I named), I've kind of preferred dogs, but of course I still like both.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:09 am

exotics... I have lizards and a toroise.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:47 am

I like cats very much. Dogs are too noisy and stinky and I don't like their 'personality' either.
But I do have gender preferences also. I prefer tomcats. They seem to me more intelligent than cats and more playful.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:09 am

I used to think I'd always be a cat person. I've owned cats my whole life, and the one I have now is the apple of my eye. I've only owned one dog throughout my life - a border collie/Queensland Heeler mix - and she was great. Now that it's been over 6 years since her death, I'm actually starting to miss having a dog. This time I'd like a small dog; maybe a Westie, shih-tzu, Lhasa Apso or Bichon Frise, though I'd prefer to get one that's of mixed breed so that it will theoretically live longer and have fewer health problems, though I know that that isn't always a guarantee since my border collie/Queensland Heeler mix had to be put down at the age of 6 due to an unknown hip problem that paralyzed her.

I wish I could get a dog in the near future, but my cat is extremely territorial and won't tolerate any other animal living with us, so I'm going to have to wait until she passes away first.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:12 am

I wouldn't say the majority of NTs prefer dogs. Unless ''majority'' doesn't necessarily mean 99 percent.

I prefer cats myself, because they are quiet and easy. Dogs are loud and clumsy and smelly. I don't like any animal that makes loud sudden noises.