Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

I did believe in him just as much as the other children did. I stopped believing in him when I was about 9. Nobody told me really, I just kind of stopped believing in him all of a sudden, and I think my parents knew that because they started to not act like there was a Santa, so I kind of used common sense and thought, ''oh right, Santa was just a thing to make Christmas more magical for the little children.'' And I didn't think about it after that. But I still had to play along with all the Santa thing to my younger cousins (who were all NTs) because they still strongly believed in him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

Mom had to tell me at age nine to not tell my brothers nor the other kids that he isn't real or they will be very upset. I didn't want that to happen so I kept it to myself.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

I was never told about the easter bunny (I think that's more of an American thing). I did believe in the tooth fairy for a while, but when I discovered that I had lost plenty of baby teeth and never got one penny under my pillow, I started to forget about her and just got to an age where I realised it wasn't true. I don't think my mum could be bothered with that.

I remember last Christmas a mum came into a charity shop with a toddler, and she was handing in a big bag of stuffed animals as a donation. The little boy started crying, and the woman behind the till had to reassure him by saying, ''Father Christmas is going to come next week and bring you a whole new sack of toys. But he won't with that miserable face. He wants you to be a big, brave boy and wait for your new toys. That'd make Father Christmas more happy....'' And the little boy stopped crying immediately, as though he tried his hardest not to whine any more because of the risk of making Father Christmas upset with him.

So cute. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

I believed in the actual Santa Claus until I was 10. I still believe in the magic of Santa Claus. I'm also not very logical.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 7:56 pm

I still believe in Santa. I figure it's a little like God, some believe in him, some don't, sort of an each-to his-own-just-don't-tell-me-what-to-believe type thing. I still write him letters every year... my mother thinks I'm nuts, but her husband believes in God, I don't really see the difference.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 10:44 pm

My belief in Santa Claus had a slow degradation. I fully figured it out at the age of nine. I, too, was mad for being lied to. I still think the whole Santa thing is kind of silly. :roll:

Giygas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm

I actually believe that Santa Claus was the model of another person that existed. His name was Saint Nicholas who lived during the 4th Century, and his gift-giving by putting coins in other people's shoes gave him the model of Santa Claus, which would then continue throughout the centuries. He certainly wasn't a magical being of any sort, but nonetheless an influential historical figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

NutcrackerPrincess

17 Oct 2012, 12:02 am

Well as a typical kid I believed in Santa, but I wanted to try to prove him haha...by leaving a video camera out on Christmas Eve or playing spy. But because my mother's side of the family is German we also learned about the REAL Santa... who was actually a historical figure, a preacher named Saint Nicholas from Germany. We were raised to respond more to a belief in Christ than in Santa during Christmastime

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

I never did....at least from as far back as I can remember (about 2 years old) I was always skeptical.

I truly wanted to believe, but nothing about santa made logical sense to me....How did he go around the world in one night? Flying reindeer? Fitting through chimneys? How was he in many malls and shopping centers at once? I never let my parents know I didn't believe, until my mom overheard me talking with a friend about how Santa is fake when I was about 5 years old.

It was the same thing with the easter bunny, tooth fairy, and "god"/religion.

My mother & grandma took me to church when I was younger, but even at the age of 4, 5, & 6 I had too many questions that the people at church could not answer, at least give answers that would satisfy my questions. Who made god?...and who made the person that made god? Where is heaven? What is outside of "space"?...What came before "earth"/universe? By the time I was 6 or 7 I had stopped going to church, as I could not believe any of it.

I have always been super skeptical about these sorts of things.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

Soham wrote:
I truly wanted to believe, but nothing about santa made logical sense to me....How did he go around the world in one night? Flying reindeer? Fitting through chimneys? How was he in many malls and shopping centers at once?

Where I live is pretty sparsely populated. The first time I went to a big city I was surprised because I had never imagined that there could be that many people in the entire world. The notion of Santa going around the world didn't bother me much because I had no concept of how many people there actually are or how big the world actually is.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2012, 9:35 pm

I never believed in Santa Claus.... as much as it sounds like a fun story.... I don't see the point of making a myth about a Danish Toymaker who may or may have not lived along time ago.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

I did until around age 5 or so.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2012, 11:19 pm

I did, but I eventually figured it out on my own, but didn't say anything to my NT brother as he also figured out that it was a myth. I do understand that there was a Saint Nicholas, and that he's the patron saint of children and several professions.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 12:50 am

Well I had my first Christmas when I was 23. So there's no chance for me. :) Although I never really believed things people tell kids. Probably because they're too ridiculous. I've always been a skeptical kind of person and generally assume everyone to be lying if it sounds not realistic.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Oct 2012, 12:54 am

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
I'm wondering what difference Asperger's/autism makes in belief in this common lie parents tell children around Christmastime.

I made a thread about this 17 months ago that you might find interesting:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt162110.html

It's a topic that gets my attention occasionally, and I find it interesting how being autistic doesn't necessarily make one skeptical or atheist or religious or whatever, but it does seem to impact how we experience these particular viewpoints.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 2:34 am

I did.

I always thought adults didn't lie, and I was certain that they wouldn't lie about something so obviously absurd.

It was my first lesson in how "logic" operates on the GIGO principle.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)