6 types of autism and 2 forms of Asperger's?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

I just had 4 short EEG testings, 3 in the psychiatry and 1 in the neurology.
All were maybe 20 min. or half an hour, I don't remember really.

All 3 in the psychiatry were abnormal, the one in the neurology was normal.
They interpreted them different, because the neurology even went over those again who were made in the psychiatry and said there are in a normal range, but the psychiatry said they are not.

So I don't know....! :?

A neurologist explained to me that it's a matter of interpretation.
So I guess that I have some abnormalities, but not that huge and I never had a seizure (I know of).

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Jinks wrote:
I'd be interested to know how some of the above posters know what their brainwave patterns are. How do I find out? Is there some sort of testing which is easily accessible?

EEGs are a huge pain and mine caused large numbers of meltdowns.

I had a 72 hour EEG done in order to test me for seizures. The results came back with no seizure activity during the 72 hours but my theta waves were higher than usual. There were also other details but I don't remember the other details.

The test used is an EEG. They're regularly used for testing for seizures. Seizures are a pretty common comorbid of ASDs.

Someone in the audience asked what EEGs are and Dr. Linden explained about the sensors needing to be in exact positions on the scalp, 1mm deviation can cause completely different readings. He called them electrodes but I've never had it done before so I'm apprehensive of getting pinpricked all over my scalp.

I also learned the other night that 'biological behavior issues' all manifest a similar set of 'abnormal' behaviors - the parents and teachers think 'ADHD' and meds help 1 tiny area but make everything else worse.

As far as seizures go, he presented a case study of a boy's "staring spells" - I always called it "spacing out" when it happens to me - but apparently the boy was having seizures as well. I'm a bit wary though of any treatment involving parents who go on "Dr. Phil" or some other TV show and tell the doctor and the host how happy they are to have their son "back"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Oct 2012, 7:57 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Jinks wrote:
I'd be interested to know how some of the above posters know what their brainwave patterns are. How do I find out? Is there some sort of testing which is easily accessible?

EEGs are a huge pain and mine caused large numbers of meltdowns.

I had a 72 hour EEG done in order to test me for seizures. The results came back with no seizure activity during the 72 hours but my theta waves were higher than usual. There were also other details but I don't remember the other details.

The test used is an EEG. They're regularly used for testing for seizures. Seizures are a pretty common comorbid of ASDs.

72 hours? The thought of it makes me want to meltdown.

I've had EEGs done to check for tumors when I went to the ER with migraines, but nothing long term.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 10:04 pm

Verdandi wrote:

72 hours? The thought of it makes me want to meltdown.

I've had EEGs done to check for tumors when I went to the ER with migraines, but nothing long term.

72 hours, I went home, was allowed to move and such, but was not allowed to stim. If I found myself doing any sort of repetitive motion I had to actively do everything I could to stop doing it. I also had to wear the electrodes for the 72 hours. They itch a ridiculous amount after the first 24 hours.

I also wasn't allowed to sleep the first night because we were trying to combine sleep dep in so I didn't also need a sleep dep EEG. So I had sleep dep, constant sensory overload beyond normal, them video taping me as much as possible (I had a thing I had to plug into whenever I could including when I slept), and no repetitive motions (like I had to write down every time I ate a meal because chewing was too much repetitive motion).

At least 5 meltdowns in 72 hours and I spent the weekend just reading at home.

---

Electrodes for an EEG are basically glued to your scalp, there is no pinpricks, there is itchy though. How itchy depends on how long. For the stuff they seem to be talking about it looks like it'd be a half hour which shouldn't be too bad. It gets worse the longer its on, and the hotter it is, it gets itchier with sweat.

If you research how seizures are diagnosed it should have more information about EEGs. However there are different testing protocols for different situations. Sometimes people want you to stay exactly still. Sometimes they want you to wear them longer periods of time. Sometimes they will make you do specific things or expose you to specific sensory inputs. So the information like "you must stay exactly still" isn't always relevant. If you're testing for seizures no repetitive motion is relevant - repetitive motion can give false positives for seizures.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Oct 2012, 3:50 am

That sounds no less hellish than my first impression. It sounds horrific.