Interesting article on the rise of Nazism in Greece

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Can't believe Angela Merkel is actually proposes to have the power to veto member states' budgets. Robbing people of democracy and self determination cannot end well.

Precisely.

When you have a country that is on the brink of total collapse and where the youth unemployment rate is over 60%, where the average wage for a Greek (for those who can manage to keep a job!) is something like 30p an hour, when the elected politicians are simply going along with the austerity regimes of foreign powers and the EU that is helping to enslave Greeks, this is a recipe for disaster and the meteoric growth of outright goose-stepping Nazis that assault fellow MPs on live TV and beat journalists to a pulp in public right in front of the cops who do absolutely nothing, you are in a very serious and dangerous situation indeed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ayb8P1LbU[/youtube]

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

I don't agree with Merkel's policies or agenda but it doesnt substantiate the idea that Golden Dawn are on some sort of meteoric rise to initiate the 'fourth reich' or whatever the Greek equivalent would be.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

...anyway Tequila, you've still failed to respond to me.

What do you propose we, as non-Greeks, do about Golden Dawn?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:03 pm

thomas81 wrote:
What do you propose we, as non-Greeks, do about Golden Dawn?

Very little. That said, there is little we can do about almost all political matters. Should we not discuss those either? If you take that attitude, you might as well shut down PPR.

There is little we can do in all honesty. It's good to keep informed about issues like this, though. My point though is that XA and the like don't just appear for no reason, in a vaccum. Often, they're aided and assisted by powerful forces. That's why the BNP have not and will get nowhere - because they're so utterly incompetent and unpopular amongst pretty much everyone, and because no-one would touch them with a bargepole. They've pretty much discredited themselves over the years. Now, if you had a Marine Le Pen type in charge of a BNP-like organisation (that could shed the neo-Nazi thuggish image of a party like that and come across as brand new), then we would be in serious trouble IMO, especially if the living standards of Britons sharply plummeted. Things would get pretty ugly quickly, I reckon.

My point is that the BNP are a bogeyman. Yes, they have a very nasty past but I think that not suggesting that they reform their rhetoric is something we should encourage. Instead of encouraging them to modernise (by, say, removing bans on non-whites and so on), let them say what they really think as serious politicians. Let's hear the BNP plans on health, education (I think Nolan's mostly an absolute tosser but one thing he did get right was asking him about the basics of his Northern Ireland policy - he shouldn't have done it for laughs, though, but he should have been serious and well-researched), defence and so on and so forth. Take them away from their comfort zones.

My point really is that I'm a bit sick of hearing all the tough talk from 'anti-fascists' about fighting the evil fascists (there aren't many properly fascist organisations in the UK). If they really want to do that, they should go to Greece or Hungary. They're not the wannabe hardmen and yobs of those in the E-E-EDL, but mainstream and popular movements and is condoned by large elements of the police and military and is aided by mainstream politicians.

Last edited by Tequila on 18 Oct 2012, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:17 pm

Tequila wrote:

Very little. That said, there is little we can do about almost all political matters. Should we not discuss those either? If you take that attitude, you might as well shut down PPR.

There is an awful lot we can do about local politics and issues that are happening near to us. We can campaign and agitate. We can publicise and we can talk to people on the street. Heck we can even stand for election ourselves.

If I thought there was no point I wouldnt have bothered joining the Green Party.
Tequila wrote:
There is little we can do in all honesty. It's good to keep informed about issues like this, though. My point though is that XA and the like don't just appear for no reason, in a vaccum. Often, they're aided and assisted by powerful forces. That's why the BNP have not and will get nowhere - because they're so utterly incompetent and unpopular amongst pretty much everyone, and because no-one would touch them with a bargepole. They've pretty much discredited themselves over the years. Now, if you had a Marine Le Pen type in charge of a BNP-like organisation (that could shed the neo-Nazi thuggish image of a party like that and come across as brand new), then we would be in serious trouble IMO, especially if the living standards of Britons sharply plummeted. Things would get pretty ugly quickly, I reckon.

Do you not think that Golden Dawn once started off as a 'joke party' of Greek politics?

If the living standards of ordinary people do decline, which will inevitably happen under this rotten system then the BNP could very well have a reversal of fortunes as Golden Dawn had.

Yes the BNP are the joke of British politics, which is a good thing. The task at hand is to make sure they STAY that way. That is done by exposing the bastards and making the electorate know what they're about. The rhetoric of don't talk about them because of X, Y and Z acheives nothing.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

One thing people don't know about when it comes to the Holocaust is the role of the Allied blockade on Germany during World War I, a blockade that continued after the war for many months. Hundreds of thousands died because of that blockade. The Nazis argued that when war was declared, the danger of a new famine was there, and it was either the German people or the enemies under its control who had to starve, and with that choice, better it be its enemies. After the Polish Jews were wiped out in 1942 the German food rations were increased.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:39 pm

Absolute nonsense. Up until the start of World War 2 the UK authorities knew the Jews were in dire danger so set up the 'Kindertransport' to evacuate Jewish children from Germany. The infrastructure and political will was in place to evacuate many more Jews but this was thwarted due to nazi legislation.

If the holocaust was a matter of lessing the burden of ration distribution, there were other countries including Britain willing to take in Jewish immigrants.

The fact was that the holocaust was something that was premeditated, even before the start of the war.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Absolute nonsense. Up until the start of World War 2 the UK authorities knew the Jews were in dire danger so set up the 'Kindertransport' to evacuate Jewish children from Germany. The infrastructure and political will was in place to evacuate many more Jews but this was thwarted due to nazi legislation.

If the holocaust was a matter of lessing the burden of ration distribution, there were other countries including Britain willing to take in Jewish immigrants.

The fact was that the holocaust was something that was premeditated, even before the start of the war.

It is all their, paragraph and page in Mein Kampf

ruveyn