Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Oct 2012, 11:01 pm

I know that it's not really appropriate to resent sick people for blowing their noses and coughing and sneezing, and I don't actually say anything to them. Right now three people in this house are sick - one with bronchitis - and the noises they make from sneezing, blowing their noses, and coughing are making me rage. :(

I need to remember to buy earplugs. Or something.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 12:55 am

On top of the sounds themselves, I find the start-stop nature of these noises horrible. I would rather listen to an ongoing lawn mower than a start-cough-stop-cough kind of noise that goes on intermittently all day.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Oct 2012, 12:56 am

Yes, yes, yes. That's one of the worst parts.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Oct 2012, 2:14 am

Noise doesn't bother me as much as the germs and catching their sickness does.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 4:01 am

That is worse, but I don't get sick every time other people in the house get sick.

I don't even want to get into the pure hell that is nasal congestion.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 5:23 am

As a fellow-sufferer of misophonia you have my sympathy.

I was sitting in a seminar room when I read your post. Someone came in, sat behind me, and started eating an apple noisily. I had to put in earphones to block the sounds.

I wish people would not bring food or drink into every situation - meetings, seminars, etc. Keep the food and drink to designated times and places, then I can manage my misophonia, still enjoy many activities - even meetings and seminars - and the meeting and seminar rooms won't get food and drink spilled in them.

Anyway, noisily eating an apple when other people are trying to listen to a seminar talk is plain bad manners.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 7:06 am

Ugh, eating noises can be the worst.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 7:15 am

I suffer of misophonia also. It is very bothering and nobody seem to understand how disturbing some noises are for me.
They think I'm too pretentious and can't bear anything. My mother always told me "oh, I'm sick of you, you're always been so picky!"
But I can't help it. I think it is simply of a genetic cause.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:08 am

My mum has a cough that is like whooping cough, so each time she gets a cough she has a really loud cough where I've got to keep covering my ears each time she coughs. Yes, it's such an unlucky coincidence that a mother of an Aspie child has to have a loud cough, or a daughter of a mum with whooping cough has to be an Aspie with sensory issues.

My mum is going to get this awful cough next week because her sister has a cold now, and she is coming over here tomorrow. My mum has a fairly healthy immune system (so do I), but every time this sister of her's gets a cold, my mum always tends to pick it up off of her for some reason. I have warned my mum about this, but at the moment my mum doesn't care. She'd say that next week when she's coughing and sneezing!

Beetzart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2012, 7:30 am

So I'm not alone on this! What everyone has already posted is exactly what enrages me with other people's noises. The crisp eating sound I can't stand; I just want to punch walls and scream although I usually just leave the room. Odd sounds that irritate me are the opening of a fizzy drinks can, tea being poured from a teapot and words like 'toastie' and 'scrummy'. Haven't a clue why! Oh yeah and huffing or exaggerated sighing sounds people make.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
My mum is going to get this awful cough next week because her sister has a cold now, and she is coming over here tomorrow. My mum has a fairly healthy immune system (so do I), but every time this sister of her's gets a cold, my mum always tends to pick it up off of her for some reason. I have warned my mum about this, but at the moment my mum doesn't care. She'd say that next week when she's coughing and sneezing!

Oh, I really hate when people go into a situation knowing they'll be sick, but mostly because I get to hear them be sick for the next several days.

Beetzart wrote:
So I'm not alone on this! What everyone has already posted is exactly what enrages me with other people's noises. The crisp eating sound I can't stand; I just want to punch walls and scream although I usually just leave the room. Odd sounds that irritate me are the opening of a fizzy drinks can, tea being poured from a teapot and words like 'toastie' and 'scrummy'. Haven't a clue why! Oh yeah and huffing or exaggerated sighing sounds people make.

Nope. It's called misophonia and a lot of us have it.

There's one guy in my WoW guild who, when he talks, sounds like he's chewing on something (like caramel) at the same time, and it's just enraging, I mentioned to someone else, who said he didn't get what I was talking about. I like the guy well enough, but his voice makes me think about violence. :(

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:00 am

Oh, gosh. I get you.

I have misophonia, sensory processing disorder, and motion>sound synesthesia.

So noises are hellish for me.
The WORST is when you're sitting in class and someone is regularly drinking right beside you.
I can hear them swallow, or if I see them, I also hear their drink move from the table to their mouth.

I usually pour sweat and have to leave, and want to choke someone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:42 am

I must admit, I do know a lot of people who can't stand loud eating noises, and also snoring. But I get easily agitated by noises other than those, like hearing the kettle from another room, hearing my cat miow from another room, people having a conversation right outside my bedroom door when I'm in my bedroom, hearing murmuring tellies from another room, and people coughing, sneezing, and clearing their throat. None of these noises can be helped, which makes Misophonia a very complicated and unreasonable thing to have.

And yes, it is misophonia because I really DO get really annoyed at these noises, like if I hear the kettle from my room I literally jump out of my chair so the chair goes flying back, and I march out of my room and slam the kitchen door hard to block out the noise. That is how irritated I get from noises like that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Seeing as how the first decade of my life I was afflicted with alternating chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma I've lost any and all manners when it comes to being sick in public.

I cough, sneeze, wipe my nose of my shirt, ect. I'd love to just stay home, but I need to earn money to live, which is what happens when you live on your own and have a job with responsibilities.

I'd love to be able to care about the sensitivities of others, but....I just....don't. Spending your childhood with a demon living in your lungs that nearly killed you will do that to a person.

Good luck with the ear plugs.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

I had that for a long time. I'm on medication now which seems to have helped numb my brain (so I don't get that intense 'I AM GOING TO F-WORDING HIT YOU!! !' feeling). I also managed to give myself cognitive behavioural therapy somehow which has helped a lot. I'd love to say it was an overnight cure, but it wasn't. It's taken over four years to get to this point. Some noises still really bug me (especially lip smacking/people chewing gum) but my level on the scale has gone down so I just yell at the person at the worst whereas before I was actually attacking people or breaking things! Strangely enough wearing earplugs actually made it worse because I found I was hyper hearing (trying too hard to hear the irritating noise!). I've stopped wearing ear plugs now and I have improved a lot.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

constant coughing gets on my nerves pretty fast. hiccups are even worse