Overused phrases in ads that I CANNOT STAND:

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm

-"Ask your doctor if (drug name) is right for you".
-"I'm (politician's name), and I approve this message". (Of course they approve, it's either all sappy positive-sounding BS about them or an attack ad for someone else)
-Or: I'm (politician's name), and I approve this message because blah blah blah male bovine dung blah BLAH....
-America's #1 (noun).
-From the creators of ( hit movie title). When they say that you KNOW the movie's gonna suck. :twisted:
-This (food, soap, shampoo, clothing, medicine, laundry detergent, tampon, toilet bowl cleaner etc.) IS AMAZING!! ! No, you know what's amazing? That bedbugs can live without eating for a year. Or Spider Man. :lol:
-We had real women try (soap, shampoo, makeup, weight loss program). Are they saying "real" women are all fat, ugly, or don't wash themselves?
-"In these difficult economic times...", always uttered by someone who doesn't LOOK like they have it very rough. Their clothes are clean and of high-quality and they usually appear in front of a wealthy-looking home or neighborhood.
- I don't have time for (cooking a nutritious meal or enduring a temporary illness that is not usually life-threatening). Just last night I saw an ad for a new type of Gravol that also prevents/treats fever and aches (they just put asprin in it) as well as nausea, where a guy says "I don't have time to be sick" Well DUDE, if you really are coming down with a stomach virus, it won't matter if you take it or not, It won't CURE you, are still going to get the virus! :x And as for the meal thing, why don't they just admit that they buy frozen potatoes that are already peeled and cut because they are LAZY, like I always do? :D
-"As a mom I blah blah blah".
-Order NOW, and you'll get (some worthless piece of junk). They'll do ANYTHING to make you buy stuff, except maybe tell the truth? :roll:
-"But wait, there's MORE!" I always think, "I was AFRAID they'd say that."
-"I'm always SO busy..." I have always REALLY hated hearing this one. :wall:
- "Kills 99.9% percent of bacteria". So if one particle of harmful bacteria entered my system I could get sick anyway? :shrug:
- I serve my kids (some food product that contains vegetables or some other ingredient they stereotypically hate, or contains less sugar or some other ingredient they stereotypically love) and they LOVE it!! ! Yeah ad mom, vegetable soup is sooo something to get excited about, woohoo. :roll:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

ads are obnoxious. i also hate when reporters overuse the phrase "on the ground."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Oct 2012, 9:47 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
-"Ask your doctor if (drug name) is right for you".
-"I'm (politician's name), and I approve this message". (Of course they approve, it's either all sappy positive-sounding BS about them or an attack ad for someone else)
-Or: I'm (politician's name), and I approve this message because blah blah blah male bovine dung blah BLAH....
-America's #1 (noun).
-From the creators of ( hit movie title). When they say that you KNOW the movie's gonna suck. :twisted:
-This (food, soap, shampoo, clothing, medicine, laundry detergent, tampon, toilet bowl cleaner etc.) IS AMAZING!! ! No, you know what's amazing? That bedbugs can live without eating for a year. Or Spider Man. :lol:
-We had real women try (soap, shampoo, makeup, weight loss program). Are they saying "real" women are all fat, ugly, or don't wash themselves?
-"In these difficult economic times...", always uttered by someone who doesn't LOOK like they have it very rough. Their clothes are clean and of high-quality and they usually appear in front of a wealthy-looking home or neighborhood.
- I don't have time for (cooking a nutritious meal or enduring a temporary illness that is not usually life-threatening). Just last night I saw an ad for a new type of Gravol that also prevents/treats fever and aches (they just put asprin in it) as well as nausea, where a guy says "I don't have time to be sick" Well DUDE, if you really are coming down with a stomach virus, it won't matter if you take it or not, It won't CURE you, are still going to get the virus! :x And as for the meal thing, why don't they just admit that they buy frozen potatoes that are already peeled and cut because they are LAZY, like I always do? :D
-"As a mom I blah blah blah".
-Order NOW, and you'll get (some worthless piece of junk). They'll do ANYTHING to make you buy stuff, except maybe tell the truth? :roll:
-"But wait, there's MORE!" I always think, "I was AFRAID they'd say that."
-"I'm always SO busy..." I have always REALLY hated hearing this one. :wall:
- "Kills 99.9% percent of bacteria". So if one particle of harmful bacteria entered my system I could get sick anyway? :shrug:
- I serve my kids (some food product that contains vegetables or some other ingredient they stereotypically hate, or contains less sugar or some other ingredient they stereotypically love) and they LOVE it!! ! Yeah ad mom, vegetable soup is sooo something to get excited about, woohoo. :roll:

ANY political ad is guaranteed to make me reach for the Pepto-Bismol.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2012, 12:39 am

Yes, the hackney-eyed phrases are extremely irksome. I hate TV and cannot watch it.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 1:10 am

The worst TV ad you'll ever see. It may contain overused phrases that are already listed at the top or some that may not be listed yet.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! ! THESE PEOPLE DID THE BALLOON BOY HOAX!! !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obw3HUTLEQ4[/youtube]

$7.00 for a regular back scratcher or $20.00 for THAT piece of garbage?

The worst sales pitch of all time!

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 9:32 am

call right now and you will receive .... for free!

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

That's in the ads because it's impossible to guarantee that it'll kill 100% of bacteria, very hard thing to do. Those little buggers are tough, not to mention they can hide in some pretty small nooks/crannies to avoid whatever you spray at them lol. And no you more than likely won't get sick from a single bacterial cell unless it's some extreme super-bug on steroids, your immune system can handle that! It's typically when there's a few million or more that it gets overwhelmed and you get sick.

It's a good idea to use stuff with that label sparingly though, if it has antibiotics in it. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria are no fun :(.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 10:44 pm

If you were runnng for public office you would NOT want "The National Man-Boy Love and Pedophilia Association" running ads endorsing you.

Thats why you hear "Im John Doe, and I approve this message" at the end of most (but not ALL) TV political spots.

Its so you know that its not some renegade group just putting out an ad that the candidate didnt pay for, didnt know about, and didnt even approve of.

So there is a good reason for that practice.

But I get the rest of what you're saying.

There is a seventies song by Tom Waits ( a rap song before the era of rap) called "Step Right Up" that consists of nothing but advertising catchphrases spliced together : " its new, and improved,and its old fashioned,.."

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

"Number one rated show from the US!"
"Show from the US you'll love!"
Basically all the spiel given to US export programmes. In the UK, I don't give a baboon's bottom what the US audiences think. A success in one part of the anglosphere doesn't guarantee you successs in another.

"Award winning US drama"is tolerable but at best a footnote surely?

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 5:15 pm

"GO COMPARE!"

I need more things to compare apart from insurance, you Big... Opera Singer you...

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 5:25 pm

"Say goodbye to the cellulite/fatness/germs/stains/whatever with this new product, called BrightChristalPower Cream/Shampoo/Bleach/whatever"

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:43 am

i can't stand those ads where they shout at u. These are mainly ads for warehouse sales of cheap stuff.

Ok! your cheap! I get it! no need to yell already.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:00 am

Quote:
I'm (politician's name), and I approve this message". (Of course they approve, it's either all sappy positive-sounding BS about them or an attack ad for someone else)

That's there because it is legally required to be. It's part of the McCain Feingold campaign reform law that was passed a few years ago.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:09 pm

Ask your doctor if its right for you....could cause a rare type of birth defect if handled by pregnant women- or by women who could become pregnant, insomnia, tremors, an erection lasting more than 24 hours, depression, thoughts of suicide, psychosis; or a sudden desire to consume alcohol, use drugs, engage in promiscuious sex, or to runoff to Atlantic City to gamble.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:04 pm

"I'm {name of politician}, and I approve this message."
{Seriously, there are many other phrases that mean the same thing!}

"As a busy {father or mother}, I..."

{Whenever I hear this, I just want to unplug the TV.}

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:35 pm

Did anyone ever see the "Head-On" commercials from a few years back? You know, the ones that showed someone rubbing the Head-On on their foreheads while an announcer kept repeating : Head-On! Apply directly to the forehead! Head-On! Apply directly to the forehead! (repeat ad nauseum) and never really EXPLAINED what the product was for? :roll:

I didn't really find that commercial annoying, I just thought it was the most pointless and ridiculous thing I'd ever seen. I'm certainly not gonna buy something to put on my head if I haven't even been told what it is or does. Jeez.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes