How to find a disabled, low income, non student roommate?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Anyone know a good way of trying to find a roommate? I have used all the normal routes, but they suck at finding the kind of roommate I need. I am in a low-income housing complex, that is really quite nice, for disabled people. This means I need such a specialized roommate (the whole not a full-time student thing is just one of their dumb conditions). I would ask on here, but that is probably a bad idea as it is probably borderline against the rules. If anyone has some suggestions that would help that would be great.

patdbunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

I work for an estate planning attorney who also does conservatorships. We're quite often looking for housing for relatively high functioning, yet disabled clients who are on public benefits/limited income. Might be a source for you to contact those types of attorneys in your area. Also, private professional fiduciaries. Sometimes their clients meet your criteria.

If you list what state you're in, I might be able to provide links to these types of resources.

Good luck to you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

jinto1986 wrote:
How to find a disabled, low income, non student roommate?

Start looking in homeless shelters and veteran's hospitals.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

Try contacting your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) and they may be able to put you in touch with local resources. (If you don't know where that it, it should be pretty easy to look up online). Or, if you happen to live in Pennsylvania, an organization called Autism Living and Working (ALAW) has a roommate matching service.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 5:08 pm

I second the idea of using the center for independent living for resources.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

...Where are you at ???

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2012, 5:57 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I second the idea of using the center for independent living for resources.
I have tried that, they were incredibly unwilling to connect me to anyone, which seems really dumb considering I need the roommate to live independently, but that is how they do things I guess.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2012, 6:03 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Where are you at ???
Phoenix, AZ

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 7:53 pm

Try and see if services that people with acquired disabilities tend to use to recover(veterans' hospitals, rehab facilities, etc.) will want to help you out. I'm not sure if they can help you "officially", but they may know somebody who may be ready to go home, but unable to go home alone or travel to live with someone in their support system. You might, however, get somebody without any support system, which could end badly, but who knows the future?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:53 am

...I was rather suggesting myself - Phoenix might be pleasantly warm this time of year ??? :) - however , perhaps I am too old :(

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 8:00 am

...Not getting back until this night , I saw your PM...and appeared to have accidentally " Delete "ed it when I was trying to reply to you .
Aaauuggghhh ! !! :(

jinto1986 wrote:
Anyone know a good way of trying to find a roommate? I have used all the normal routes, but they suck at finding the kind of roommate I need. I am in a low-income housing complex, that is really quite nice, for disabled people. This means I need such a specialized roommate (the whole not a full-time student thing is just one of their dumb conditions). I would ask on here, but that is probably a bad idea as it is probably borderline against the rules. If anyone has some suggestions that would help that would be great.
:cry: