Are you not too cautious about your personal belongings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

I have gotten into trouble a few times at my voluntary job for leaving my handbag lying around where people can see it. Although I'm a paranoid person, I don't seem to be paranoid about this sort of thing for some reason, and I think it's one of those situations where it's actually got to happen to me to make me become paranoid and more careful.

Last week I was eating my lunch at my volunteer job, then somebody from the shop floor called my name so I got up to see what they wanted, and thought I was immediately coming back so I left my handbag sitting on the chair. Then I started talking to another volunteer who had just came in, and then I put my rubbish in the bin (after eating my lunch) and went back to do my work, completely forgetting about going back to the kitchen bit to put my bag back into the locker. Then about half an hour later the manager came in and asked, ''is that your bag there in the kitchen?'' I felt a bit stupid and careless, so I said, ''oh yes, silly me - I forgot to put it away after I had my lunch.'' And I went back to put it safely in the locker. Then the manager began giving me a lecture about remembering to put my bag away when I'm not in the same room, and although she was only fearing for the safety of my belongings, it still made me feel like I was just leaving my stuff lying around on purpose when I clearly wasn't.

But it seems that other people take care of the safety of their belongings by instinct, and just know to put their stuff away, especially living in my area where there's always people having their stuff nicked. Evidentally I am not affected by it, whilst other people care too much about their personal stuff. Is anyone less cautious about their personal belongings, or is it just me being a bit scatty over this sort of thing (although generally I am not a scatty person)?

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

Yeah I would say I am, I never put things away. For example I have a pretty expensive camera, cost me £800 when I bought it a couple of years ago, and every time I use it, instead of putting it nicely back in its camera bag, I will leave it and the various lenses i own out on my tv stand and just forget about it for weeks, by the time I notice that its still out its usually covered in dust, which is bad news for SLR cameras especially. I also never put the lens caps on my lenses after I use them. Its weird as its pretty much my most prized posession and id be so pissed off if it broke, but Im the same with most of my things.

One thing I used to be really bad at but have gotten kind of better with is takin care of clothes. I used to just throw them on the floor once Id worn them, even nice things, so thats they ended up all creased and worn out looking. Never used to iron anything either, but Im beginning to realise how much the presentation of your clothing has an impact on first impressions etc, and so I try to always remember to put things back in the wardrobe if I think im gonna wear them again, or just throw them straight in the wash if not.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

No, I'm incredibly paranoid over this stuff, I start placing my hand over my wallet everytime a random person (doesn't matter how he or she looks) passes me behind my back.

I do the wallet, phone, keys touch every 5 minutes when I'm out in town.

Nothing will change this.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:22 am

I am completely overprotective of all of my belongings. Unless it's a person I know and trust very well, I will not let anyone borrow anything of mine. I've been called selfish for this, but at least I know my things are safe.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

I used to care more, but early on learned that thinking I could have nice things is vanity. Others in the house can moan as loudly and often as they wish that they never get to have anything nice

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:48 am

i am relatively careless, despite my best intentions. :oops: am accident-prone as well. i just put a scratch on my late mother's car. :oops: driving too close to the mailbox. damn. :hmph: