Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZackytheAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm

I've been reading some of the threads that some of you have posted and have come to the generalized conclusion that these people are just, well, ridiculous. I've seen everything from people debating if there is such thing as time to the virginity of the Virgin Mary. I realize that this is a subdivision of Wrong Planet in which we will see people with widely different views on politics, philosophy, and religion but this is level of mental masturbation is completely unheard of to me.
I will address the two examples that I listed above. One; time is a real thing as it was created at the conception of our universe along with space, that's where you get the term Space-Time. Now, time is relative, yes, but time does exist. Two; according to the teachings of the Catholic church, which I am a member of and a student of a Catholic school, the Virgin Mary was in fact a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, not through sexual intercourse of any kind.
This is what causes me to really have a great disliking towards other people with Asperger's. :evil:

Noodlebug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 10:35 pm

Not everyone is religious, so that's where you're having problems.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

ZackytheAspie wrote:
I've been reading some of the threads that some of you have posted and have come to the generalized conclusion that these people are just, well, ridiculous. I've seen everything from people debating if there is such thing as time to the virginity of the Virgin Mary. I realize that this is a subdivision of Wrong Planet in which we will see people with widely different views on politics, philosophy, and religion but this is level of mental masturbation is completely unheard of to me.

While Jesus may have died for your sins, you did not inherit His Judgment Seat. Lighten up. People are allowed to disagree with self-righteous religionists' teachings.

ZackytheAspie wrote:
I will address the two examples that I listed above. One; time is a real thing as it was created at the conception of our universe along with space, that's where you get the term Space-Time. Now, time is relative, yes, but time does exist

The Universe happened. Your use of the phrase "created at the conception" implies intent for the universe's existence. There is no valid empirical evidence for a "Creator"; only a collection of largely apocryphal stories told by gullible, superstitious, and scientifically ignorant bronze-age nomadic tribesmen.

ZackytheAspie wrote:
Two; according to the teachings of the Catholic church, which I am a member of and a student of a Catholic school, the Virgin Mary was in fact a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, not through sexual intercourse of any kind.

Mary did not remain a virgin, as she also gave birth to James the Just, the brother of Jesus (Galatians 1:19), and first bishop of Jerusalem.

ZackytheAspie wrote:
This is what causes me to really have a great disliking towards other people with Asperger's.

Because we're not all drones of the Roman Catholic Church, right?

Get over it. The Word of God did not originate with you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2012, 11:23 pm

These topics are on every kind of philosophy forum. Nothing unique here.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm

The only thing I find ridiculous is claiming a woman is a virgin who conceived and had a baby. Did that myth originate at the time of Mary / Jesus or was it invented later by the followers? It waz god wot dun it! Yeah, right.

I can just imagine the conversation:

Mary: I'm pregnant.
Joseph: You're what! But we haven't had sex yet! Was it the butcher? He's been giving you extra portions lately.
Mary: No! It was the spirit of God that did it.
Joseph: Hmmm. What about the baker? He's been eyeing you up too.
Mary: No, honestly, it was God.
Joseph: All right then. I believe you. I've got to go out again now.
The baker, hiding under the bed heaves a sigh of relief, as does the butcher, hiding in the wardrobe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 7:18 am

Not sayin' that you personally should doubt the virgin birth, but every religion has teachings that an outsider cant be blamed for ...shall we say...finding it easy to... NOT believe. Thus you cant blame others for discussing said teachings.

At one time the catholic church taught that the earth was the center of what we now call "the solar system", and that it was a heresy to doubt that witches flew around on broomsticks.

And the good book says that snakes occasionally talk, that dudes used to live to be 900 years, and at one point the Sun stood still in the sky.

So the fact that "the Roman Catholic Church teaches..." so and so doesnt mean you cant discuss said teaching.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 7:56 am

ZackytheAspie wrote:
I will address the two examples that I listed above. One; time is a real thing as it was created at the conception of our universe along with space, that's where you get the term Space-Time. Now, time is relative, yes, but time does exist. Two; according to the teachings of the Catholic church, which I am a member of and a student of a Catholic school, the Virgin Mary was in fact a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, not through sexual intercourse of any kind.
This is what causes me to really have a great disliking towards other people with Asperger's. :evil:

i can not understand what you are talking about. i am sorry about that but i just had to say it.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

ZackytheAspie wrote:
Two; according to the teachings of the Catholic church, which I am a member of and a student of a Catholic school, the Virgin Mary was in fact a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, not through sexual intercourse of any kind.

I'm always amazed that I - a non catholic - have to teach a surprising number of catholics about their own catechism.

The teaching of the RCC has four levels of interpretation. (see catechism of the rcc part 1, section 1, chapter 2, article 3, heading III, paragraph 114.)

1. Literal
2. Spiritual
a) allegorical
b) moral
c) anagogical

Or to phrase it with a Medieval distichon: the literal (scriptures) tells the story, the allegory teaches what one has to believe, the moral what one has to do and the anagogical what one has to strive for.

In other words: the dogma of the virginity of Mary is an allegory.
Quote:
allegory is an action in which the characters or events represent or symbolize ideas and concepts. - Wikipedia

That means that Mary's virginity represents/symbolizes something spiritual, not physical.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

TallyMan wrote:
The only thing I find ridiculous is claiming a woman is a virgin who conceived and had a baby. Did that myth originate at the time of Mary / Jesus or was it invented later by the followers? It waz god wot dun it! Yeah, right.

My guess would be that Jesus invented it. I would imagine that Mary, Joseph and their families settled the adultery between themselves, as was not expectionnal, but no one would have accepted divine intervention when a dowry was on the line. However, Jesus was a mystical prophet with mystical followers, all of which could have accepted that God was behind it. Since illegitimate children were not well seen in the past, it was in Jesus's interest to deny that he was the product of adultery.

Of course, we are a bit in the dark for such details, so it's hard to know for sure what happened. My hypothesis just seems interesting.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:36 am

ZackytheAspie wrote:
this is level of mental masturbation is completely unheard of to me. :evil:

Your Pope will tell you that masturbation is a venal sin, which you must report immediately to your priest, who will be afforded a topic for contemplation.

For non-Catholics, masturbation is a trivial carnal pleasure. Mental masturbation, though, brings us to a higher level of sublimity.

You Catholics might wish to try it some time.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:44 am

ZackytheAspie wrote:

I don't understand what leads you to this conclusion. People with ASD have all kinds of differing views. Discussing them is a good thing. This is not something that is unique to Aspies.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:45 am

ZackytheAspie wrote:
according to the teachings of the Catholic church, which I am a member of and a student of a Catholic school, the Virgin Mary was in fact a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, not through sexual intercourse of any kind.

Why would the Catholic Church's teachings concerning Mary's asexuality cause you to have a great disliking towards other people with Asperger's? This is RIDICULOUS.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 1:25 am

Ann2011 wrote:
ZackytheAspie wrote:

I don't understand what leads you to this conclusion. People with ASD have all kinds of differing views. Discussing them is a good thing. This is not something that is unique to Aspies.

People in general, have different views.
you might as well dislike the human race.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:05 am

Maybe neurotypicals are more inclined to sit back and soak in the dogma.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:23 am

And maybe people like to believe in miracles.
Is that so incredible to you all?

:evil: I'm all with you ZackytheAspie.
I love miracles!

No matter what the others say, I LOVE miracles!
We don't know everything yet.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:38 am

zena4 wrote:
No matter what the others say, I LOVE miracles!
We don't know everything yet.

We don't know of any miracles yet either! Believe in as many flying pink elephants and miracles as you like; doesn't make them real.