Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm

Not going to lie: I have no knowledge of music, hated Music at school because my teacher was a snob, would not know my bass clef notes to my treble clef notes, and so on.

But I always liked the thought of learning the guitar, I tried to when I was younger but I think I did not have it in me then. These days though, I have so much spare time on my hands becasue my college course is three times a week, so for the rest of it I just sit at home and watch TV. I can just feel myself getting dumb and lazy. :(

I know I won't be a professional singer or something or ever perform in front of people, but I would like to do something more productive in my time then just sitting at home. I do exercise but would be really tiring doing it all day.

Just please be honest with me, should I try or not bother? Is it hard? I am 19 now, btw.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 5:18 pm

Yeah, why not? Go for it.

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2012, 5:21 pm

it never hurts to try, i did.
i failed because i just could not get my fingers to work right on the cords but i try'd and it was fun.

afternoonstage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2012, 9:49 am

It's easier than it looks, trust me. Your fingers are going to blister, throb, and on rare occasion, bleed, but if you put in a solid hour of practice every day, you'll be learning songs in no time. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 1:23 am

if you start with a classical guitar which uses gut strings, that will be easier on your fingers. my brother the guitarist told me that. i have about as much musical talent as my sister's cat. :oops: or you could try first a tenor or baritone ukelele, less complicated chords to learn, lower tension strings, not as steep a learning curve but still some guitar sound to those two if one uses baritone uke tuning.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2012, 9:59 am

Go ahead, it could be a lot of fun!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:35 pm

You could start with a ukulele--they play like guitars, but you only have 4 strings.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:29 pm

LittleSwallow wrote:
Not going to lie: I have no knowledge of music, hated Music at school because my teacher was a snob, would not know my bass clef notes to my treble clef notes, and so on.

But I always liked the thought of learning the guitar, I tried to when I was younger but I think I did not have it in me then. These days though, I have so much spare time on my hands becasue my college course is three times a week, so for the rest of it I just sit at home and watch TV. I can just feel myself getting dumb and lazy. :(

I know I won't be a professional singer or something or ever perform in front of people, but I would like to do something more productive in my time then just sitting at home. I do exercise but would be really tiring doing it all day.

Just please be honest with me, should I try or not bother? Is it hard? I am 19 now, btw.

Yeah go ahead BUT either get thin strings or put a little super glue on your finger tips and let it dry.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 4:01 pm

You'll never know until you try it. Age does not matter , only a will to learn matters.