Can/should murderers and rapists be reformed?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Can murderers and rapists be reformed?
No, they can't, all they deserve is suffering and hatred from righteous, law abiding good people 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
They can but they don't deserve a chance, I'd rather they just stay evil and be prevented from acting on it again 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
They can but we shouldn't risk it, I have some level of pity for them though 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
In certain situations, yes I think they can turn around and become good people 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
Yes, anyone can change for the better regardless of their past actions 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Rapists can change but not murderers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Murderers can change but not rapists 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:40 pm

I would say toss them into a lake of boiling hot lava and laugh at them as they burn to death! :twisted: No worries the intense heat will kill them swiftly and little pain will be felt due to shock!The result would be like this organic waste container!![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8[/youtube]Of course whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway? :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
I would say toss them into a lake of boiling hot lava and laugh at them as they burn to death! :twisted: No worries the intense heat will kill them swiftly and little pain will be felt due to shock!The result would be like this organic waste container!!

[Gratuitous repost omitted]

Of course whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway? :lol:

*sigh*. I know I am going to be disappointed, but would it be *too* much of an effort (now that you are advocating for the death penalty for rape) to actually consider this statement ?:

GGPViper wrote:
My problem with the frequent murder/rape analogies is that this could put pressure on the justice system to hand down similar (or less different) sentences for murder and rape.

My guess is that this would:

1. decrease reporting of rape
2. decrease convictions
3. give rapists incentives to kill their victims

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:54 pm

@TM.

I know. I put a Smilie face after impossible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

The best reason for the death penalty (rather than life in prison without parole) is that it prevents the rest of us from becoming, by proxy, sociopathic gay dungeon masters.

With the death penalty, we're vengeful sociopathic murderers by proxy, instead.

Some choice, huh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 01 Nov 2012, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:57 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
I would say toss them into a lake of boiling hot lava and laugh at them as they burn to death! :twisted: No worries the intense heat will kill them swiftly and little pain will be felt due to shock!The result would be like this organic waste container!![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8[/youtube]Of course whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway? :lol:

Garbage can be recycled into something useful? :D

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:59 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
... whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway?

XFilesGeek wrote:
Garbage can be recycled into something useful.

I think the two of you just came up with a new joke meme.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
The best reason for the death penalty (rather than life in prison without parole) is that it prevents the rest of us from becoming, by proxy, sociopathic gay dungeon masters.

With the death penalty, we're vengeful sociopathic murderers by proxy, instead.

Some choice, huh?

Is there a third choice?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:52 pm

blunnet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The best reason for the death penalty (rather than life in prison without parole) is that it prevents the rest of us from becoming, by proxy, sociopathic gay dungeon masters. With the death penalty, we're vengeful sociopathic murderers by proxy, instead. Some choice, huh?
Is there a third choice?

Yes. Lobotomize all violent offenders. That way, we become, by proxy, a nation of sociopathic Mengele wannabes.

I'm still looking for options, by the way; especially those that are just as effective without being so draconian.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:54 pm

GGPViper wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
I would say toss them into a lake of boiling hot lava and laugh at them as they burn to death! :twisted: No worries the intense heat will kill them swiftly and little pain will be felt due to shock!The result would be like this organic waste container!!

[Gratuitous repost omitted]

Of course whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway? :lol:

*sigh*. I know I am going to be disappointed, but would it be *too* much of an effort (now that you are advocating for the death penalty for rape) to actually consider this statement ?:

Viper, if I've learned one thing about wrongplanet, most people here do not care about consequences, they want to feel all morally superior and gooey inside. If that means rapists have incentives to kill their victims, people die from famines, or everyone is equally miserable, then they'll take solace in that they were right.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
... whats the difference between a serial killer, rapist, and a bag of garbage these days anyway?

XFilesGeek wrote:
Garbage can be recycled into something useful.

I think the two of you just came up with a new joke meme.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 2:06 am

Of course they can be reformed. The issue should not be whether one can be reformed or not, the issue is how does one make justice and penitence for the crime they committed. In the case of pre-meditated murder, you cannot. And in the case of rape, you can, but you are in debt to society for the wrong you've committed against another member of it. Ideally, you should work half a decade off in some way that benefits the person you raped, but we don't have indentured servitude today. Rape is a big deal, but I don't think spending time in the cell doing nothing, while being subsidized by society.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Of course they can be reformed...

As of 2003*, 53% of arrested males and 33% of arrested females are re-incarcerated. Of those who were allegedly "reformed", how many died, how many disappeared, and how many were coerced into their original convictions by inept defense lawyers, corrupt police, over-zealous prosecutors, bigoted juries, and indifferent judges?

* Visher, Christy A. 2003. “Transitions From Prison To Community: Understanding Individual Pathways”. The Urban Institute, Justice Policy Center, District of Columbia Washington, 20037

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:47 am

I don't think avenging a rape is a justification for war.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:51 am

I don't think giving the death penalty to someone for murdering a rapist, pedophile, or mass-murderer is any form of justice, either; but that's just me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 10:54 am

Depends,what if a schizophrenic went off his meds and thought he was in danger and killed someone,or crimes of passion such as you catch someone molesting your kid and you kill them in rage?Or you are defending your property,in my state if someone is in your yard with a gas jug threatning to burn your house you can legally shoot them.these people didn't kill for fun or because they were evil.
But people like Gacy,Bundy,The Night Stalker,and the Zodiac ,Green River killer,BTK.,killed because they liked it,some were rapists and killers.I don't think they could be reformed.I don't believe in the death penalty because it dos'nt bring the victim back,it causes the family members of the executed to suffer when they did nothing wrong.But I have no idea what to do with people who are a real menace,I don't want Charlie Manson running loose but then the tax payer foots the bill for his upkeep.
I think a young person,maybe desperate and stupid who shoots someone in a robbery may can be rehabilitated,they should still have to pay for their crime bit if they were high on crack when they did it maybe it's something they would never do if they were clean and had a job, they could have a chance.
It depends on the rapist also,there is a big difference between a 18 year old boy having consensual sex with a 15 year old girl,he was just stupid and horny.But some creep that rapes kids,unwilling victims and the elderly most likely will always be a threat. They get off as much on the power as the rape,they don't need to be running loose.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 10:56 am

androbot2084 wrote:
I don't think avenging a rape is a justification for war.

The Trojan War. Not that I approve of it.