Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

Instead of bombing the entire house (bombs stink and leave bad chemicals everywhere) you could dust the tv stand with a paintbrush coated with boric acid, and dust it into all the corners and along the sides of each wall. Boric acid has a crystaline structure that cuts the exoskelaton of roaches, and all their juicy bits leak out = no more roach problem. :) No more bug problem at all, really. Nutrasweet/Equal is another option you could try that takes longer. It was originally developed as ant killer, and it's a neurotoxin for bugs (and not just for bugs but they are little so it's really effective on them). That's why it gives some people headaches or seizures and has that warning on it.

As for common sense, I certainly get confused that way from time to time. Just the other day I made what I thought was a common sense turn towards the freeway/ocean and my friend told me *right* before I made the turn to turn the other way and I simply didn't hear it. I was thinking the freeway I want is west. She neglected to mention the shortcut to the freeway was counter-intuitively east. But in a mess of heavy traffic and one-way streets we were kinda stuck doing things my way and we made it to the right freeway anyhow, and had a discussion along the way about which freeways lie west. She seemed to think that I could not reach I-5 by heading for the ocean. I was going "Huh??? Where did you get this idea?" The I-5 runs along the ocean from the Mexican to Canadian border (and we were east of it)...of COURSE I would eventually hit it simply by staying on any main surface street headed west. (However it might take me longer) That was my common sense, but not to her, and I was too tired to argue while driving.
A lot of times people ask me questions and I give them an answer and they say "Oh, but that makes too much sense." That doesn't mean they are going to pay attention though. lol Sometimes I do things that don't make a lot of sense even to me though, and I just trust that my subconscious has a very good reason for it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:59 am

Buttercup wrote:
Nutrasweet/Equal is another option you could try that takes longer. It was originally developed as ant killer, and it's a neurotoxin for bugs (and not just for bugs but they are little so it's really effective on them). That's why it gives some people headaches or seizures and has that warning on it.

That is totally bad and worthless advice.

Aspartame was originally developed as an artificial sweetener. It was not developed as an antkiller and it is ineffective at killing ants. It might work if you were to drop large heavy bags of aspartame on top of ants walking across a concrete floor, but it is totally useless to feed it to them.

From http://fireant.tamu.edu/research/projects/pdf/pgs33-35.pdf:
Quote:
Treatments:
1. Untreated control (check) – no treatment
2. Ortho® Orthene® Fire Ant Killer (standard Orthene® treatment) - 50% acephate;
1 tablespoon sprinkled over each mound
3. Equal (aspartame) - 1 tablespoon sprinkled over each mound then watered in with
1 gallon of water

At 3, 7, 14 and 28 days after the mounds were treated, the acephate (Ortho®
Orthene®) plots had significantly lower fire ant activity than either the control or the
aspartame (Equal®) treated plots (Table 1). The aspartame (Equal®) treated plots
showed no significant difference from the untreated control plots during the trial.

At 28 days, the trial was concluded and mounds that could be located within the
plots were counted. County maintenance had dug up a strip through some of the plots to install a pipeline. Mound numbers in all plots were not significantly different (Table 2).

This trial did not document any effect from treating fire ant mounds with 1
tablespoon aspartame (Equal®) and watering it in with 1 gallon of water compared to the untreated control plots.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:19 am

Isnt it pretty much impossible to get rid of roaches, well aside from tearing the whole building down literally ?

Definitely though luck getting stuff like that :S

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2012, 2:15 am

eric76 wrote:

3. Equal (aspartame) - 1 tablespoon sprinkled over each mound then watered in with
1 gallon of water

Orthene®) plots had significantly lower fire ant activity than either the control or the
aspartame (Equal®) treated plots (Table 1). The aspartame (Equal®) treated plots
showed no significant difference from the untreated control plots during the trial.

plots were counted. County maintenance had dug up a strip through some of the plots to install a pipeline. Mound numbers in all plots were not significantly different (Table 2).

tablespoon aspartame (Equal®) and watering it in with 1 gallon of water compared to the untreated control plots.
[/quote]

Not to be arguementative, or derail the post, but I said nothing about adding a gallon of water to the aspartame, watering it down. Nor does this study sound very scientific. I have read (in a well published book, not online) that Montsanto originally developed aspartame to be an ant killer. One of the scientists got some dust of it in his mouth and that's how they realized it was sweet...and oh, calorie free too. The book is called "Excitotoxins".
I consider Equal/Nutrasweet bug poison and use it as such, not in my food. The first time I sprinkled some straight on an ant colony invading my house the result was so dramatic I felt cruel...but the bug's aren't reading the "stay out" signs.
I think it is possible to get rid of roaches with the right kind of controls used in a coordinated way. None of my apartments ever had roach problems even when my neighbors did, and all I use is the boric acid and nutrasweet.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:30 am

Buttercup wrote:
eric76 wrote:

1 gallon of water

Not to be arguementative, or derail the post, but I said nothing about adding a gallon of water to the aspartame, watering it down. Nor does this study sound very scientific.

And what should they have done to make it more scientific? Spend a few million dollars on a simple study?

Quote:
I have read (in a well published book, not online) that Montsanto originally developed aspartame to be an ant killer. One of the scientists got some dust of it in his mouth and that's how they realized it was sweet...and oh, calorie free too. The book is called "Excitotoxins".

Maybe you should be more selective about your reading material.

Quote:
I consider Equal/Nutrasweet bug poison and use it as such, not in my food.

I would never advocate consuming it, but it's not a bug poison.

Quote:
The first time I sprinkled some straight on an ant colony invading my house the result was so dramatic I felt cruel...but the bug's aren't reading the "stay out" signs.
I think it is possible to get rid of roaches with the right kind of controls used in a coordinated way. None of my apartments ever had roach problems even when my neighbors did, and all I use is the boric acid and nutrasweet.

I hope that you don't think that your "experiment" was at all scientific.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2012, 2:34 am

Well everyone makes mistakes... us aspies and then NTs arent much different in that. But one mistake doesn't mean your roommate lacks common sense.

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS