Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 10:59 pm

I just took my drivers test and failed because I drove on the wrong side of the road after a 3 piont turn. I had completed 2 points of my 3 piont turn and thought I have backed up enough that I didn't need to drive back out to the right side. It's hard to explain but I put the car in drive and drove back down the road but it didn't come to my mind that I was on the wrong side of the road until the lady giving the test said, "I need you get get on the correct side of the road please." It didn't look any different, I didn't even know! So my parents said before I can drive again I have to see an occupational therapist so they can help me with my eyes. Anyone have any exprience with OT? I'm not sure what to expect and I have no clue how its going to help.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 11:06 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you'd be doing in OT for that in particular, but I'm really supportive of OT for ASDs.

ziztur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2012, 11:10 pm

Hi!

I'm an OT. I'm friends with someone else on this board and I also work with kids who are on the spectrum.

What you can expect will be partly based on what the OT specializes in and what she/he expects. (I'll just use female pronouns now because 93% of OT's are female)

OT is all based on what you want and need. The OT will probably ask you questions about what kinds of things are hard for you to do or what problems you are having. Then she will evaluate you by having you do some tests. If you're there to see her for visual perceptual problems, she will probably give you some visual perceptual tests.

Then, you and her will devise a plan with goals to work on whatever problem you are having, and you will work on them together. She will probably see you a few times a week and give you exercises to work on every day. OT is 90% you and 10% the therapist, a lot of the time.

It doesn't sound like you have problems with your eyes, I think not realizing you were on the wrong side of the road might ave to do with attention - you were focused so much on the driving test that you didn't really pay attention to the sides of the road. The driving test itself is really distracting when you're driving. That would be my guess though.

Usually OT's are really nice and want to work with you and try to foster more of a partnership, especially if your OT is younger or in tune with how the profession is evolving. It used to be all about weaving baskets and doing crafts. Now it is much more based on the goals of the person. Hope that helps!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 1:02 am

ziztur wrote:
Hi!

I'm an OT. I'm friends with someone else on this board and I also work with kids who are on the spectrum.

What you can expect will be partly based on what the OT specializes in and what she/he expects. (I'll just use female pronouns now because 93% of OT's are female)

OT is all based on what you want and need. The OT will probably ask you questions about what kinds of things are hard for you to do or what problems you are having. Then she will evaluate you by having you do some tests. If you're there to see her for visual perceptual problems, she will probably give you some visual perceptual tests.

Then, you and her will devise a plan with goals to work on whatever problem you are having, and you will work on them together. She will probably see you a few times a week and give you exercises to work on every day. OT is 90% you and 10% the therapist, a lot of the time.

It doesn't sound like you have problems with your eyes, I think not realizing you were on the wrong side of the road might ave to do with attention - you were focused so much on the driving test that you didn't really pay attention to the sides of the road. The driving test itself is really distracting when you're driving. That would be my guess though.

Usually OT's are really nice and want to work with you and try to foster more of a partnership, especially if your OT is younger or in tune with how the profession is evolving. It used to be all about weaving baskets and doing crafts. Now it is much more based on the goals of the person. Hope that helps!

Could you suggest the specific names of some of the standardized tests which would be utilized by your profession with persons with ASD?
Thanks! :D :D :D

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

Oh gosh I failed my novice drivers licence test 10 times (The driving part) on the 11th try a few years later when I was on SSRI's I passed with flying colors...I think it was due to anxiety issues and being unable to relax at the wheel.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 2:50 am

I did that once before on a deserted road. I turned around in a driveway and for some reason could not remember which side of the road to drive on.
dove almost a mile before I realized it. luckily there was no other cars out on the road.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm

As someone who works with and for occupational therapists, I can say that it's all about driving as an activity of daily living.
The most likely way they'd go about it is to put you in some sort of driving simulator where you can practice correct
techniques until they become second nature to you.