Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

For Aspies... Do you get anxiety in social situations?
Yes 94%  94%  [ 15 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Deno
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2012, 1:46 am

Hi, I'm Deno. I am very interested in existence. Which breaks down in to two categories for me, The Physical and the Non-Physical. Which means I enjoy the subjects Particle/Theoretical Physics, Neurology and Psychology (Consciousness) and I think of the Mind as not being a result of the brain, which brings us to my interest in the non-physical aspect of existence..

I am 19 years old, and am currently unemployed. I self-diagnosed Aspergers months ago but have yet to get a diagnosis. I finally saw my first psychiatrist for this a couple days ago, and he said I did not have it because according to him people with Aspergers do not get anxiety in social situations, which I found to be complete rubbish, social problems is the defining issue in Autism Spectrum Disorders, and anxiety and fear of social encounters is something that every single Aspie I have spoken with online faces. So that frustrated me greatly that I finally got a psychiatrist appointment and he did not know what he was talking about in the slightest. He tried to label me with social anxiety, which is something that COULD fit if you ignore all but one symptom, social awkwardness.

I stim often when I am not around people, I have few, specific subjects that I spend all my time researching, I do not like looking people in the eyes for very long as it makes me more uncomfortable, I never know how to orient my face to make it look as though im interested in what the other person is talking about (although I usually am not interested unless it is related to one of my interests...), I never know what to say and when to say it when interacting with people and most of the time I withdraw into one of my subjects of obsession because it feels like safe ground. Unfortunately not many people can hold up a conversation about Quantum Physics let alone listen to a rant about it.

I was banned from AspieCentral for "Arguing about conspiracy theories". I did not feel that I was pushing my ideas much and it was rather offensive that people were allowed to talk s**t about my beliefs when doing the same for me got me in trouble. Anyway I will stay off of those topics on here as it seems to pose issues with so many people.

Nice to be on another forum, hopefully I can find some individuals like myself. Been trying to meet individuals like me in my area but there really don't seem to be any resources to do so, and I have no idea where I might find some. Anyone like me would probably be on the computer at their home all the time, and even if I found someone at say a library I don't know how I would initiate conversation as most of the time I just embarrass myself.

Thanks for reading the whole Introduction to those of you that took the time. Look forward to speaking with you.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 7:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Nov 2012, 12:53 pm

Welcome!

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

Welcome to the forum! Your introduction is interesting. I'm curious as to why you chose your intro for raising the topic of dualism.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

Deno wrote:
Hi, I'm Deno. I am very interested in existence. Which breaks down in to two categories for me, The Physical and the Non-Physical. Which means I enjoy the subjects Particle/Theoretical Physics, Neurology and Psychology (Consciousness) and I think of the Mind as not being a result of the brain, which brings us to my interest in the non-physical aspect of existence..

I am 19 years old, and am currently unemployed. I self-diagnosed Aspergers months ago but have yet to get a diagnosis. I finally saw my first psychiatrist for this a couple days ago, and he said I did not have it because according to him people with Aspergers do not get anxiety in social situations, which I found to be complete rubbish, social problems is the defining issue in Autism Spectrum Disorders, and anxiety and fear of social encounters is something that every single Aspie I have spoken with online faces. So that frustrated me greatly that I finally got a psychiatrist appointment and he did not know what he was talking about in the slightest. He tried to label me with social anxiety, which is something that COULD fit if you ignore all but one symptom, social awkwardness.

I stim often when I am not around people, I have few, specific subjects that I spend all my time researching, I do not like looking people in the eyes for very long as it makes me more uncomfortable, I never know how to orient my face to make it look as though im interested in what the other person is talking about (although I usually am not interested unless it is related to one of my interests...), I never know what to say and when to say it when interacting with people and most of the time I withdraw into one of my subjects of obsession because it feels like safe ground. Unfortunately not many people can hold up a conversation about Quantum Physics let alone listen to a rant about it.

I was banned from AspieCentral for "Arguing about conspiracy theories". I did not feel that I was pushing my ideas much and it was rather offensive that people were allowed to talk sh** about my beliefs when doing the same for me got me in trouble. Anyway I will stay off of those topics on here as it seems to pose issues with so many people.

Nice to be on another forum, hopefully I can find some individuals like myself. Been trying to meet individuals like me in my area but there really don't seem to be any resources to do so, and I have no idea where I might find some. Anyone like me would probably be on the computer at their home all the time, and even if I found someone at say a library I don't know how I would initiate conversation as most of the time I just embarrass myself.

Thanks for reading the whole Introduction to those of you that took the time. Look forward to speaking with you.

Welcome to the Wrong Planet!! :D

If you have such an interest as you say you do in Physics have you thought about going to university to study it? Whether that is full-time with a traditional university, part-time with a traditional university doing evening courses (these seem to be less social from what I've been told, as people would be tired from just finishing work and are there to learn and study), or studying online, maybe with the Open University?

My brother has aspergers and is at full-time uni studying physics. His problems are relatively minor, though he does have other related problems. He'll probably end up in a job in research with the university he's studying at. I'm sure you will be able to find a job which can put your skills to great use!! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:07 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

Hello and hearty welcome.